2 Seagate Barracuda XT 3tb in raid 0

vaisingaon

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I have installed 2 barracuda xt 3tb hard drives on windows 7 pro 64 and successfully put them into a raid 0. I am trying to extend the drives to recover the space not recognized by windows when os was installed on the raid. I have installed the most up to date discWizard from Seagate. When program starts it says that it cannot find their product, the 2 Seagate barracudas, installed. I have successfully used the discWizard to extend before but only when one of the hd is installed. I have read the articles on Seagates website on the 2tb barrier but it does not say how to extend if their are two hd's in a raid 0 configuration.
Thank you for your time. Also would like to say I have been to your site many time and you have been a great help in the past.

metawin

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I have never dealt with this myself, but was thinking about getting the 3tbs and I seem to remember that when formatting the drive you have to format it with a new type of format that can sector that high. If I remember correctly it came form the drive manufacturers themselves too. Hope it helps.

UPDATE: Here is a link I found (its a little dated though, you can probably do better)

"you run into problems with anything larger because Master Boot Record partition tables can only address up to 232 blocks. With 512-byte sectors, that adds up to a maximum capacity of 2.19TB. The storage industry's answer to the MBR's addressing limitation is the GUID Partition Table, or GPT, which can address up to 264 sectors. Windows XP doesn't work with GPT partitions, so Western Digital isn't supporting the drive under that OS, although it notes that users may be able to find workarounds using third-party controllers and drivers. However, if you want to use the Caviar as a boot drive, you'll need a 64-bit version of either OS and a motherboard with a Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) BIOS.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/19871

Did you format it in GPT?
Maybe its your MB not having a UEFI BIOS?? I don't really know though, wish I could help more.

vaisingaon

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Thank you for your response metawin. I did alot more research than I want to remember.Lol
I was never able to find an answer from Seagate on how to recover the extra storage space once they were put into a raid 0 configuration. Returned them and got the 2tb Barracuda XT and it runs like a champ. As for backing up my data, I have more external HD than I really need.

metawin

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

Yeah I had the same issues when I looked into the 3TB drives before, I have decided to go with two WD1502FAEX 1.5TB's in RAID 0 and back it up on one 3TB Seagate instead.

It just feels like they have not developed the technology for 3TB drives enough to be plug and play or used for a main drive at this point, without allot of hassle anyway.

They work great for archive drives though. :wahoo: