tortnotes

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
The LG site isn't loading that page for me right now... but I got the contrast ratio from Newegg. Something ridiculous like 1,000,000 to one.

Contrast ratio, like response time, is measured differently by different manufacturers. One of the tricks is dynamic contrast--instead of having the display show black pixels, it can lower the brightness of the backlight so no light is coming from the screen at all. Older backlight technologies would have the dimming applied to the entire screen as there's only one backlight. LED backlighting can (I think..it would explain the numbers) turn off or dim only the individual LEDs behind the dark parts of a screen. Hence, parts could be at the highest possible brightness and other parts could be turned off. Insert whatever ridiculously high number Marketing likes.

I find it odd that you'd be choosing between these two monitors because of the size and price differences, but don't let the contrast ratio scare you off. Between these two I'd go with the Dell even if they were the same size... the Dell screen has a better LCD technology that offers better colors and wider viewing angles.

TRENDING THREADS