Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on some parts for silent gamer PC

Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2009 9:21:52 AM

Hi there
I'm trying to decide on which parts to buy for my new PC. It's the first one I build in five years, so it's been a challenge to get updated. Therefore let me apologize for the long post. I've decided on most parts, so what I would like is advice on the ones I've put in bold. Also I'd like your opinion on the system as a whole, if there's any parts which doesn't match the rest etc. As per instructions I've filled out the standard form as follows:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within a week preferably

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, matlab and similar, watching movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Building from scratch (need all parts)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I'll buy from here and there

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel, 24-26" LC, Half/full tower case

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (don't know if I dare) CROSSFIRE: Maybe (don't know if I need it)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050 (for gaming probably), 1920x1200 (for everything else)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like a quiet PC, will buy two monitors

So far this is my parts list:

CPU: Core i7 920
CPU cooler: ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED
Motherboard: Asus P6T
Graphics: SAPPHIRE TOXIC/VAPOR-X HD 4890
RAM: Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator 6GB DR3 PC12800
RAM cooler: Will I need it?
HDD: WD 10EADS 1TB 7200rmp
HDD cooler: Will I need it?
PSU: MODU 82+ EMD625AWT
Case: Antec P182 / Antec P183

The motherboard: As far as I've been able to read, the P6T Deluxe V2 doesn't offer significant improvements over the standard version, so considering the price difference I thought I'd go with the P6T. Would like comments on this point though.

Graphics card: This is probably where it's most difficult for me to decide. For performance I'd go with the Toxic, but I'm unsure about the noise level. I would be kind of stupid to buy a noise card when I'm spending a lot of money on the rest of the parts being silent.

Lastly, my current choice of PSU is supposed to be very silent. It's rather expensive though, so if there's a worthy alternative I'm ready to consider it. And 625W should be sufficient, right?

If you've read this far, thank you! I hope for some comments and advice!
August 28, 2009 9:44:04 AM

Hi...
you have pretty good selection of components there...

Now for some suggestions...
CPU cooler - That ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED is more of a visual treat than a performance component...It wont perform as good as a cheaper Xigmatek Dark Knight...

RAM - As you wont be overclocking, I dont think you would need the Dominator...You can switch to something like these...
Corsair XMS3
OCZ Platinum/ Gold
Mushkin
GSkillz

Preferably DDR3 1333MHz with CAS 7(Timings) or DDR3 1600MHz CAS 8

Mobo - True the Vanilla P6T is more than suffice for your requirements...
But you can even take a look at the ASUS Rampage Gene... IT would cost same or lower than the P6T and is as good or little better than it...and it has Premium onboard sound too...

RAM Cooler - You wont need it...

HDD - Make sure you get the Black and not the Green series...the green series are more of a storage drive rather than a Boot drive...

HDD Cooler - If the case has good air flow, you wont need them too...

Graphics card - The card seems to be fairly silent...
http://www.guru3d.com/article/sapphire-toxic-hd-4890-va...
You can also check out the cards from ASUS...even they have a good VGA cooler...

PSU - You can check out the Corsair 550VX/ 650TX...they are not noisy and are of very high quality...You can also consider the Modular versions - 520HX, 620HX...
All the above PSUs are suffice for powering the rig with that graphics card...

Rest are good...
Related resources
August 28, 2009 1:04:21 PM

Gkay has you pretty set on what you would need to change in this rig.

Also, you never mentioned a OS, would you want vista 64bit??

if so, you can get the WD Black 640gb + the vista 64bit home premium in a combo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

There is also this combo with your cpu + motherboard to save a little.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Monitor: look into ASUS, they've made some good 24"

Also, BenQ / Hanns-g ( for the more pricey picks Dell / NEC. )

August 28, 2009 1:38:49 PM

NewEgg has just came out with some special e-mail Promo deals.
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $104.99 ($84.99 w/Promo Code EMCLWNW24)
Free Shipping*
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz $288.99 ($269.99 w/Promo Code EMCLWNW25)
Free Shipping*

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache $94.99 Free Shipping*
(Your Price: $89.99With Promo CodeEMCLWNW36)

August 28, 2009 4:52:00 PM

gkay: thanks for your feedback. I will definitely switch to the Dark Knight fan. As for the RAM, I've been reconsidering whether I want to overclock or not, and I decided to keep it open as a possibility... So I think I'll go for the Dominator set, also because of the high availability where I'm buying (Japan). At least a preliminary search didn't turn up any results for the other kits... weird now I come to think of it...

For the motherboard, would it be stupid to hold on to the P6T instead of the rampage? The rampage is about 29USD more than the P6T, and I already have a couple of good sound cards.

Finally I picked the Caviar Green because I read somewhere that it's very silent and the Caviar Black is not. On the other hand I can also see the sense in picked a drive with performance that matches the performance of the other components. Then again, the same could be said with the noise levels... Hmm, hard to choose. Think I'll go for the Caviar Black though... can't be that noisy!

Now I'm having to choose between the MODU 82+ 525W, the Corsair TX650W or the Corsair HX520, all of which seem to be around the same price level.. If 525W is enough, wouldn't it be best to go for the modular solution? (not the TX650W)

Yoosty: Thank you for the links, but I'm not sure I can use amazon.com from Japan due to tax restrictions etc... Sorry, should have mentioned it.

fullmetall: As goes for the OS I'd though of a dual boot setup (Linux and windows), but haven't yet decided which Windows to go for. Would it be completely stupid and unrealistic to use XP or a beta of windows 7? I've only had bad (albeit admittedly limited) experience with Vista.

Again, thank you for your comments :) 

August 31, 2009 4:18:58 AM

@dalekk,
RAM - if you dont find any good set of RAMs, then stick with the Dominators...But then again at stock settings, there are some cheaper RAMs, that would perform faster...check if you can get the Corsair XMS3 series RAM(The ones with the Blue-Black sticker)...But if you dont find any other RAM, then stick with it...

Mobo - If the P6T is cheaper, then stick with it...

HDD - As you will be going with a single drive, you wouldnt have serious issues with the noise...
But there are very good alternatives, which might fit your requirements...
Seagate 7200.12 drives(500GB & 1TB)...they have a noise level comparable to the Green series and performance comparable to the Black series except for the access time...So this should be a good balance between performance and noise levels...

PSU - If you are planning for a single graphics card at a time, then the 525W is more than suffice...So go ahead and get the modular one...
Get which ever is cheaper - Modu 82+ or the 520HX...
!