Help Windows 7 Cant find my HD

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 19, 2011 7:28:20 PM

Hello and HELP,

I have recently built a new computer (my first time) and when I try to install windows 7 64 bit (Full Version) it cant find my internal hard drive. I have even tried to install Windows 7 32 bit but that did not work either. I have read and read different forums but cant seem to find a solution to my problem. Here is a breakdown of my computer:

Motherboard- GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
Hard drive- Seagate 500GB model #ST3500413AS (only one HD, not running raid) Brand New, nothing on it
CPU- I5-2500k 3.30Ghz
BIOS version F4

BIOS is able to see my hard drive but Windows 7 installer does not see it. I have not changed anything major in BIOS settings. All I changed was updating Boot order, making some of the fans alarm if they fail, and updating the date/time but nothing major.

I have gone to Gigabytes website to see of their are any drivers to download and only see drivers for RAID setups, which I tried to put on flash drive anyways just to see if Windows 7 installer would recognize, which it did not. I also went to Seagates website which told me to check drivers from the MOBO company.

I'm stuck and don't know where to go from here. I've emailed Gigabyte tech support asking what I should do but who knows how long it will take them to respond. I'm starting to wonder if the hard drive is bad, but if it was would BIOS still be able to see it? I have tried changing the SATA connection to different ports on the MOBO as well which did nothing.

Thanks for any help/solutions you can offer. If there is any missing information that I can supply that will help please let me know.

More about : windows find

a b $ Windows 7
a c 104 G Storage
June 19, 2011 9:00:51 PM

Hi there,

Congrats on building your first computer! Now it's just a matter of getting past a few bumps in the road.
Sounds like it gets to the BIOS setup screen, then on past but can't find your HDD. For completeness, what video card are you using, and does the spash screen look normal to you? Also what kind and how much RAM is in the MB?

Go into the BIOS, and on the Advanced BIOS Features page, check the Hard Drive Boot Priority, and make sure it sees your HDD and it is the only item on the list. Then down a couple on the list, the First Boot Device temporarily should be your DVD, the second Boot Device should be the HDD. This gets changed back after windows in completely installed, so the HDD is first to boot automatically.

Next go to the Integrated Peripherals page, and the XMP should be disabled.

Now put your Win-7 64 bit DVD in the drive, and reboot. The BIOS will look at the DVD and the OS should begin to load.
You are going to do a clean install, and you should consider dividing your HDD into 2 or more partitions, leaving the latter unallocated for use later or for data. During the installation process it will reboot a couple times, so be patient as it progresses along.
m
l
June 21, 2011 4:02:56 AM

Sorry about the delay...having been working last couple days.

My graphics card is a XFX radeon 6870 and splash screen is fine. As far as RAM goes i have Brand : gskill, Type : ddr3, Memory Size : 2048 x 2 and Speed : 1600. My power supply is antec 650 watt.

My hard drive boot priority is my hard drive first then as #2 it shows bootable add-in cards. First boot device is cdrom, then 2nd is hard disk, 3rd usb-hdd. As far as XMP i dont see that in the list, i do see XHD but it is listed as disabled.

Windows 7 64 bit does load and gets to the point where it ask to choose hard drive to install. It shows nothing in the selection box and says "No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation."

I click Load Driver and says " To install the device driver needed to access your hard drive, insert the installation media containing the driver files, and then click ok."

I've tried putting in the motherboard cd and it cant find any drivers off that...I have gone to Gigabyte (the motherboards site) and found different drivers. When I download those drivers to a flash drive, windows still cant see any drivers.

I thought well maybe my motherboard was bad so I installed it on my other computer and ran a seagate hard drive test where it passed. So I am still lost as to what I need to do. If I need a driver which do I need and how do I install it if windows doesn't pick it up off the flash drive.

Thanks for any help once again!
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a c 104 G Storage
June 21, 2011 7:03:15 PM

Hi again,

You're almost there. It looks like you possibly have your HDD, and possibly the DVD, plugged into one of the 6 Gb/s ports that possibly does require a driver, rather than a 3 Gb/s SATA port. It shouldn't in theory make any difference, but get the OS loaded first, then install the latest chipset drivers from the Gigabyte CD, and then you can move the Seagate drive over to a 6 Gb/s port when all the driver are loaded..

Also don't have any other HDD's connected to the MB while you are installing the OS. The 3rd USB-HDD should not be connected. Also do you have any bootable add-in cards on the MB, or is that just the BIOS display?

Check out your manual and SATA diagram. You should have the HDD connected to SATA_2 port and DVD connected to the SATA_3 port. See if that will boot up without requiring any additioinal drivers.
m
l
June 26, 2011 2:34:12 PM

Problem solved! it seems my original hard drive was just bad. Bought a new one and windows found it right away. Thank you for your advice and help!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 104 G Storage
June 26, 2011 4:04:51 PM

Glad to hear it. Always a learning experience building a computer yourself. Will put the bad Seagate in the back of my mind when guys ask from time to time which HDD is better WD, Seagate, Samsung, etc.
m
l
!