Overclocking Failed Warning - Degraded Stability?

sidw

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Just started playing Battlefield 3 after the release and have had some issues with my computer recently.

My specs:
-Asus Crosshair III Formula Motherboard - AMD 790FX, Socket AM3, ATX, HDMI, USB 2.0, PCIe
-AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM (Total 8GB)
-HIS H577FM1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
-Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
-OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

The Issue: after playing the game, I exit out, shut down my computer. Later when I reboot I get an "Overclocking Failed!" message in the boot menu and it asks me either to go to the bios or just continue on.

I had made no changes to the BIOS it was running on the auto setting at 3.2GHz.

One time when I started the computer the graphics fan was going crazy and then it said my CPU overheated. This was just on the start up, not during a game.

I do not experience any problems with stability doing regular video watching on the internet or running other applications, and the cpu temps are running 49 degrees at baseline.

I ran stability tests with Prime95 at both Blend and small FTE settings and my temperatures go up to 70 degrees and beyond. Relatively quickly.

The CPU fan is spinning so I'm assuming it's working. But during the stress test, I don't really hear it crank up, or get louder.

Can degradation in stability occur overtime with one's CPU? Would putting in a more high performance heat sink fan be helpful? My BIOS settings are at minimum settings, so why am I getting an "Overclock Failure" message?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
The problem with most stock coolers is they use push-pins to secure down. These are sometimes problematic and can pop out. If any 1 popped out then your cooler won't be in very good contact with the CPU and high temperatures result. The nice thing about even cheap aftermarket coolers is that they almost always use screws so you know you're secure and that will stay secure.

The best cheap aftermarket cooler is easily the Hyper 212 Plus. It's around $30 and cools as well as many $60 coolers. Some people like to upgrade the fans on it to something like Scythe S-Flex FDB fans but the stock one is pretty decent.

The installation process is easy, but you'll probably want to buy some good thermal paste. I'm using MX-3 now, it's working...
First thing to do would be to look into your system temps. I'd suggest you download HWMonitor because it shows CPU and GPU temps. Run a stress test and watch the CPU tests. Also, maybe try running FurMark and see how the GPU heats up. It's possible that heat is the issue.

If the fan is running but the temps are going way up (70C+) then probably the heatsink is not properly seated and needs to be either manually removed and reset with new thermal paste, or else you'll want to buy an aftermarket cooler. As for the GPU, generally it should not get super hot (80C+) but it is ok to go into the 70s for sure.

If both CPU and GPU are getting pretty hot then it also could be bad case airflow. Running with the side panel off and comparing temps can make it obvious if that's the problem.

Otherwise, it might just be a motherboard issue. Perhaps you need to update the BIOS.

sidw

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Thanks wolfram. I did some stress testing with Furmark. I also have a program called rth. Furmark seems to be more powerful. My GPU temps didn't budge with the rth program, but with Furmark I was up into the mid seventies. My CPU temps didn't budge at all.

If I run Prime95 to test the CPU though, the temp on the CPU goes up fairly steady from the start. Within a few minutes I'm pushing mid 70's and I have to abort.

This is unusual because when I originally put my rig together the stress tests were all fine.

I have not run a program as heavy as Battlefield 3 since I built the computer. This is easily the biggest stressor. The game doesn't crash though. In fact, I can exit out, and shut down without a problem. It's when I turn the comp back on later I get this "Overclocking Failed!" message on startup.

I am gonna run a temperature recorder while I play Battlefield 3 tonight and see what it registers as max temp.

@sidw

Someone else had this exact problem and it was directly related to a software program he was running, AMD Overdrive maybe or some ASUS utility, anyway he uninstalled the program and the problem went away.

What program is reporting the failed overclock?

sidw

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
@4ryan6

Well, the next time I get the warning message, I'll check. The report is coming up on the start of the computer before it has entered windows. Typically right where you have the opportunity to get into the BIOS. I didn't look at the whole message. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Next time I will.

Last night I played BF3 for a couple of hours and my CPU temps high was recorded as 67 degrees, and the GPU topped out at around 65. I'll take that.

Still concerned about this Prime95 test though. Although maybe it's more academic. If I'm gaming stable, that's about the roughest application I'm gonna have my computer take on.

Those CPU temps are on the high side for AMD 955 BE Max Temp = 62c, Max CPU Voltage 1.5v

Any of the AMD quad BEs are real finicky regarding staying within the thermal envelope, all sorts of weirdness will come your way, as long as you can keep them cool you can work wonders with them, but heat is AMDs worse enemy.

The problem with most stock coolers is they use push-pins to secure down. These are sometimes problematic and can pop out. If any 1 popped out then your cooler won't be in very good contact with the CPU and high temperatures result. The nice thing about even cheap aftermarket coolers is that they almost always use screws so you know you're secure and that will stay secure.

The best cheap aftermarket cooler is easily the Hyper 212 Plus. It's around $30 and cools as well as many $60 coolers. Some people like to upgrade the fans on it to something like Scythe S-Flex FDB fans but the stock one is pretty decent.

The installation process is easy, but you'll probably want to buy some good thermal paste. I'm using MX-3 now, it's working really well for me.

Solution

Most definitely I never run the stock coolers, the Noctua NH-D14 is one of the best air coolers money can buy, you can always go cheaper with something like the Cooler Master hyper 212+ but it's performance is not as good, when it comes to air cooling, you get what you pay for.

sidw

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
4ryan6,
lol, here's a review of that thing from new egg

"Pros: • Has more pipes than my grandpa
• Blows more air than my grandpa (and that ain't easy)
• Keeps things cool like my grandpa
• Easy to seat like my grandpa
• Sound deadening material for the fans .... yep... my grandpa has those. However, they are called diapers for him."

I think I may have room for that thing in my tower, but I'm not sure.

@Wolfram, I'll take at a look at that hyper212+ as well.

BTW, thanks for all the input.

Like ryan and I said, it's a cheap cooler and it's adequete. If you want better, the Noctua he mentioned is great as is the Megahalems and Cooler Master V6 GT. Zalman has good products as well, I was using a CNPS10X Extreme for a while and was very happy with the cooling.

sidw

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Just put in an order fro the 212 plus. From the reviews it seemed like quite a few people were having the same stability issues I was having.

Something I hadn't thought of though.....I haven't reapplied thermal paste since I first built my computer about 2 years ago. That might explain the decreased stability.

I was not aware that you need to use thermal paste regularly.

You don't, generally. But it can dry out. It seems like that pre-applied stuff that comes with stock coolers is the worst for that. Aftermarket paste should last years. Still, it's not a bad idea to replace it every year or so along with a full cleaning of your heatsinks (CPU and GPU) as they can get clogged with dust.

sidw

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
So I just got the hyper 212 fan put in. I have to say I was a little daunted. While I built my computer that was two years ago and it was my first build. I had to use rubbing alcohol to loosen up the thermal paste to get the CPU off the heat sink. I was nervous I stripped the the cpu pulling it out. Then came the careful removal of all the wires, cards etc from the motherboard, removal of the mobo. I felt like I was doing a liver transplant or something.

Anyway, the installation was pretty painless and the cooler fit with a few centimeters to spare. I closed up the patient and took him to recovery.

Booted it up and first thing I noticed is now I'm running 31 degrees. Chilly. I have not done a full test yet but 15 minutes of Prime95 and the temp never got above 40.

All indications so far point to success. Follow test results to come.

Thanks guys for your help.