Sign in with
Your question

SATA cable question

Last response: in Storage
June 19, 2011 10:05:29 PM

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some quick help regarding SATA cables.

I recently bought these ones here: http://www.amazon.com/SATA-Data-Cable-2pk-240149/dp/B00...

I think these are SATA Revision 1 cables, but I'm not entirely sure.

My question is: will these bottleneck the Crucial m4 and the WD Caviar Black drive that I bought? Or does the cable not matter?

Thanks!

More about : sata cable question

June 19, 2011 10:28:17 PM

You'll want to get Sata lll cables to get full proformance from your drives.
Sata l = Supported 1.5 Gb/s technology
Sata ll = Supported 3 Gb/s technology. Backward compatible with 1.5 Gb/s
Sata lll =Supported 6 Gb/s technology. Backward compatible with 3 Gb/s and 1.5 Gb/s
m
l
June 20, 2011 3:13:59 PM

Theroretically:

Sata cables are sata cables. There's no performance difference between sata I, II, or III cables. Actually, there's no such thing as sata I, II, or III cables. They're just sata cables. Cables built to the sata standard are good for any sata drive. The technology that rogue77777 refers to is just to the interface controller of the drives and motherboards.

Reality:

However, the sata 6Gb/s has much tighter tolerances than previous generations and therefore it's recommended by the sata organization to use quality cables, as well as the shortest cables you can use to avoid attenuation and other issues. So it might just be that those cables you find listed as sata III cables might have been tested to the sata 6Gb/s specification and passed.

So, it shouldn't matter, but it might if the cables you have are cheaper cables. So, for all intents and purposes, Rogue77777 was correct. I just wanted to tell you the background info because I was intrigued by it when I found out long ago.
m
l
!