Quadro FX3500 for CAD - Dual Monitor Question

nitroguy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I know this forum is a bit more of a gaming source, but given that my Quadro FX3500 is *similar* to the GT7900 (?), I thought I might try and ask.

Here's my issue: I'm running Solidworks - a 3d CAD program - on my quad-core 2.4GHz, 8gig ram. It runs fairly OK, but when attempting to benchmark my graphics performance (it seems too slow, choppy, and grainy to me) using the video card tester from http://freestone-group.com/, I got weird results.

On my primary screen, it listed 260fps, which coincided nicely with what the published benchmarking specs are. On my secondary screen (the one I usually use solidworks on, but it was closed at the time) it was waay down, close to 60fps.

I'm using NVidia's 'dual view' setting. I noticed that when I changed it to 'horizontal span' I got the same frame rate on both monitors.

So, here's my question(s): Is this normal? Could it be that the video card benchmarking utility I used only works for single monitors? And also, what's the difference, in terms of what the graphics card must process, of dual view versus horizontal span?

Thanks in advance to all who help.

-CAD user.

proanimate

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

It's normal. Only the primary display is accelerated. I have the same issue running 3DS Max on 2 displays. The viewports MUST be displayed on the primary display otherwise it's unusable. I use the secondary display for my graphs/materials/tools.