Does heat always rise

atwon23

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Im goin to OC my AMD Phenom II X6 2.8 GHz Processor. Ive seen other people post that they could reach 3.4 GHz with out raising
the voltage. If that is the case will there still be a big increase in heat? And how much of a difference would going to 3.4 make for gaming.

MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB

Solution
I think in this case the question should be translated to "does heat always increase;" the answer is if you increase the power used by the chip, e.g. by overclocking it, I cannot imagine how it wouldn't. If you are able to LOWER the voltage and still maintain a stable overclock, there may be no increase in heat.

Water doesn't always flow South, but barring the application of centripetal force (e.g. in a moving container), it does always flow down hill.
I think in this case the question should be translated to "does heat always increase;" the answer is if you increase the power used by the chip, e.g. by overclocking it, I cannot imagine how it wouldn't. If you are able to LOWER the voltage and still maintain a stable overclock, there may be no increase in heat.

Water doesn't always flow South, but barring the application of centripetal force (e.g. in a moving container), it does always flow down hill.

Solution
With no outside influences hot air rises above cooler air. But there is airflow in the pc case so the air will flow with the current. It's simple fluid dynamics and convection.

But more important is before the heat gets to the air, your heatsink needs to be good enough to dissipate the heat off the cpu, and this is conduction through the heatpipes and fins; which can be in any direction depending on the shape of the solids.

But to answer your question, no there isn't much more heat without touching the voltage but there is still more. Temps is dependent on ambient temps, case airflow, and heatsink (and of course how high the OC is). How much it affects games is dependent on the game and res.