Computer shutting down

Estrang

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Hi folks, I'm an online gamer and I build my cpus. The last computer I built had the following hardware:
Allendale c2d CPU, E6300 I believe, 1.8ghz OC'd to 2.8ghz
ATI GPU 4850 sapphire(upgraded from a 1950xtx i originally had in it as of jun 09)
Asus p5b deluxe mobo built to handle LGA775 socket.
Some corsair 1gb sticks = 2gb total, dont recall specs atm.

CPU is watercooled, originally had GPU and CPU watercooled after about 2 years i bought a new gpu and didnt get a new water cooling heatsink for it, so it runs off air cooling. My cpu runs at about 49 degrees Celsius idle and can hit 60degrees celsius on load. Often when im running applications now I get random shutoffs where the comp will just completely shut off. I've had my fill of watercooling, i completely flushed the system past two years but I think it needs new tubing now. I'd like to just go aircooling and get a new CPU with a very hefty aircooling heatsink.

The CPU I'd like to get is the Q9400 quad core becuase I play online games with two instances of the game running with ventrillo, the internet browser, and frequently music playing. I assume this would be a wise purchase over a high end dual core chip? If not I'd like some arguments towards the 8xxx series chips =) . Don't argue me towards a new platform as I don't have the time/money to install a new mobo + cpu.

Also, what is a hefty aircooling heatsink I could use for some mild overclocking? I don't plan on spending anymore than roughly what it would cost me for a q9400 + 50 bucks or so.

Any help/tips appreciated brews!

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Im no expert tho ive built 4 pc's but seems how no one else is answering you ,,

you should have enough power thats why i asked what psu your useing but the random shut downs could be the psu see if you can borrow one to test this before rushing out and buying a nee psu tho.

hope thats some help

Eithelwulf

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
The CPU I'd like to get is the Q9400 quad core becuase I play online games with two instances of the game running with ventrillo, the internet browser, and frequently music playing. I assume this would be a wise purchase over a high end dual core chip? If not I'd like some arguments towards the 8xxx series chips =) . Don't argue me towards a new platform as I don't have the time/money to install a new mobo + cpu.

to answer this question when i iwas looking to upgrade my cpu i was told that a faster dual core is better for gameing i followed this advice and am pretty happy with the results. i use a E8600 3.3Ghz dual core it runs the new empire total war no problem

Estrang

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
thanks for the help, i dont have a psu that can support my current set up to test unfortunately, everyone thinks its the psu crapping out VS. the cpu at the 60 degree cels temps?