Best graphic card for my computer

juanitudev1

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Hey

I am looking to buy a graphics card(s) for around 300 or less. I would appreciate any help from you guys. If I am missing any information you guys need about my computer, just ask for it and how to find it on the computer. Thanks!

Motherboard specifications: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01324212&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3942927&lang=en

System specifications:

Windows Vista 64-Bit
Service Pack 1

Model: a6807c
Processor:Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40 GHz 2.40 GHz
Memory : 5GB

I was looking at the "best cards for your money thing" for September and the Two Radeon HD 4870 1GB cards in CrossFire configuration seemed the best to fit my range. I don't have a clue what a "Crossfire configuration" is though.

There is also an offer from Nvidia that if you buy a GeForce GTX card, you get a digital downlead of Batman: AA for PC. The GTX 285 cards fall under my price range, but are they the best bet for my money? Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=br_lf_m_1000416121_grlink_2?ie=UTF8&plgroup=2&docId=1000416121

Thanks again!

juanitudev1

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
obsidian86: SO you recommend that I use a single 4850/4870/gts250 then? (If so, which would be the best bet?) Is the psu upgrade necessary?

PsychoSaysDie: When do the 5 series come out? Do you have any recommendations for a new processor?

Sorry, I don't really know much about computers specs like this. Just need something to keep up when I use Zbrush or Unreal because my computer cant seem to handle it.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
That board you have doesn't even support SLI or Crossfire configurations, so those are simply not an option. If you want to game you will need a new Power supply for sure as HP and Dell are well known for putting Power supplies in their systems that are not powerful enough for a decent discrete graphics card. The PC Power and Cooling that obsidian86 recommended is the best bet I think, don't get the one he linked to though, that is a replacement for a Dell version, and more expensive, get it from here:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008521&prodlist=celebros

its a bit Cheaper there, and thats the non-Dell replacement version. (The D at the end of the model number is the giveaway) subtract that amount from your budget, and get the fastest single card you can with the rest, leaving you about $230 for a video card. You could wait to see what the new Radeon 5000 series brings to the market and then buy as PsychosaysDie suggests, or you could get a single 4870 which your processor will likely bottleneck a bit anyhow, I don't recommend the X2 cards for your system, first off, the X2's will draw a lot of power, and may not even fit in the HP case. In fact it is worth looking into the dimensions of the card you are looking at and measuring the case to see if there is room or not, it would suck to get your new card and have it simply not fit. I would be wary of upgrading your processor as a prebuilt HP system might not play nice with very many upgrades that otherwise would be ok, its a good idea, but make sure to do your research before you spend the $$ on a new CPU. I hope I have helped some, good luck.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Oh, and if things don't fit well into the HP case, you could invest in a new case and move all the parts over to it. The board they have pictured looks like it ATX compatible, so it should drop right into pretty much any ATX case. A 4870 and that power supply leave you a little bit of money left to put into a case if need be.

juanitudev1

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Thanks for all the feedback! This has defiantly helped me out with some of my questions.

I still have 2 that I don't understand though:
-How do I know which case's are compatible with my current parts?

-How do I go about choosing a new CPU? What makes one good? I honestly don't know anything about a CPU.

Thanks again!

raginghipp0

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Just go to Newegg.com and browse the computer cases. As long as it's an ATX compatible case (not micro-ATX or mini-ATX) you should be fine. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129058 -- great case at a decent price as an example although I'm not sure what you're budget for a case would be. If that one is too much just look around as they have nice cases at even cheaper prices. You're going to need adequate cooling and airflow with a new video card; something that stock HP cases don't tend to do very well.

I would also recommend upgrading your CPU considering that one isn't the best for gaming. I would recommend an E8400 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037) or E8500 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036) if you don't want it being bottlenecked by your new graphics card and you're definitely going to need the power supply that was suggested earlier. Both of these processors are compatible with your motherboard and will be the best bang for your buck.

All of this goes way outside of your original price range but for gaming it's all pretty necessary if you don't want your computer struggling in the process. I'd say save up a little more money and invest in a few more pieces of hardware because a simple graphics card upgrade isn't always the answer when you're lacking in other areas.

juanitudev1

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I ended up buying a 550 watt power supply and a GeForce 275 card. The problem is, the card does not fit. The RAM and some other cable connectors are in the way. Would just a new case solve this? Or what is the big chip were everything is connected needed to be upgraded? (Would that be the CPU? I am kinda confused).

Thanks again for all the help!
I appreciate it.

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Thats a HP so its not an easy google to check pics of the insides of your case, so I cannot say exactly what it is that may be in the way of your new graphics card.

A new case will NOT solve your problem, when youv stated that parts from your motherboard, and maybe other HP crap, is in the way.

Good a good camera? take a pic and upload and post the link, would need to see inside to advise further.

PS. sorry for the late reply.

Ciraxis

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006

I notice you said you use Zbrush, that hardly uses graphics card at all, its almost purely cpu and ram (ESPECIALLY ram)