Sign in with
Your question

Can I change MOBO in Compaq Presario?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 17, 2010 1:44:42 PM

I have an old compaq presario S4010CL with an Asus P4G533-LA motherboard. Can I change this motherboard and still have it fit the compaq case?
February 17, 2010 10:15:45 PM

from the sounds of how old it is, I would say it most likely would not fit. Motherboards have changed since the Presario. If I were you, I'd pitch in another $30 for a cheap computer case. Otherwise, you can always drill holes in your old case to make it fit. You can pretty much make any case fit any motherboard if you're determined.
a b V Motherboard
February 17, 2010 10:35:31 PM

From what I can find, that's a mATX motherboard. You can replace it with another mATX motherboard and it should fit fine.

I've done this in the past with older cases. The more challenging part may be connecting the front panel wiring.
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 17, 2010 10:45:41 PM

You may use any micro atx motherboard if your backplate is removable. If you want to use your hp windows installation, then look for another hp motherboard. The power supply may have a 20 pin connector, buy my newer hp system came with this older connection on a 24 pin motherboard, leaving 4 pins open. It ran fine. Check ebay for newer boards; the Intel 865 chipset in socket 478 will allow you to upgrade your cpu and use your old ddr memory. I found a frys combo deal for $29.99 after rebate that would work with your case, but it's sold out almost everywhere.
a b V Motherboard
February 17, 2010 10:52:05 PM

If the backplate isn't removable, a pair of wirecutters can fix that :) 
!