Sign in with
Your question

Secure Erase C300 64GB

Last response: in Storage
June 20, 2011 12:21:18 PM

So I've been looking for ways to secure erase a C300 64GB.
Looking into HDDErase, it turns out it apparently doesn't work with the C300.
I have found PartedMagic which apparently does work.
My question is, it seems that Parted Magic writes 0s onto the SSD.
From what I've read, writing all 0s isn't really good for SSDs.
Is this true?

More about : secure erase c300 64gb

a c 314 G Storage
June 20, 2011 1:19:13 PM

If you use the Secure Erase command in Parted Magic, it sends the Secure Erase command to the drive. What the drive does with that command is up to the drive, not the utility that drives it. I'm not sure how you see that there are all zeros there, but since the drive now thinks that any cell you attempt to read is empty, it may simply report zeros as the content of a cell that it knows is erased. Any Crucial experts out there?

Please refresh my memory: Did you have to put the drive controller into IDE mode for Parted Magic to work? I used it myself some time ago on my 128 GB C300, but I have forgotten.
m
l
June 20, 2011 4:36:19 PM

I haven't actually done it yet.
And here, this is what I mean when I refer to it "writing zeros"

This is guide I am following.
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90648

As for putting it in IDE, I am not sure. I have not actually tried it and in the guide it does not say that it is necessary.
Also, when you SE'd your c300, I assume you used Parted Magic, correct?

Thanks.
I hope someone can still clarify this for me.
I'm still fairly new to computers, slowly but surely learning more.
m
l
a c 314 G Storage
June 20, 2011 4:43:39 PM

Oh, that's just text that was written when only HDDs had the Secure Erase command, because SSDs hadn't been sold yet. What actually happens is that the Secure Erase command is sent. On an HDD, it will indeed write zeros to every block (try this command on an HDD some day and see how long it takes). On an SSD, the implementation of the command does something else. I know that it resets the lists of available blocks to show all blocks as available. I kind of hope that it erases each block (setting the bits to one), but I don't know if that is done proactively or if the blocks are just marked ready-to-delete.

Anyone out there have a better knowledge of how the command is implemented in the SSD?
m
l
!