Sign in with
Your question

Dual Xeon Workstation vs i7 For Gaming and HD Video

Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2009 8:39:34 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next 3 Months

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, HD Video, Standard Household use

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Micro Center (local) & Newegg

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type I'm loyal to the Intel family

OVERCLOCKING: Yes - on the i7 build SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes - on the i7 build

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Here is my dilemma: I want a computer that will be able to handle the latest games (ex. Crysis) and laugh at them...while also being able to edit/modify HD home movies - then procede to burn blu-rays

I'm debating whether or not to go Dual Xeon with a workstation PC or an i7 overclocked.

I have specs for the i7 rig, not for the dual Xeon workstation

Here are the specs on the i7 rig...

Case - Antec 1200 - $169
CPU - i7 920 - $230
CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12P - $72
GPU - Undecided - dual gtx 295's or dual gtx 275's - $1000-$450
PSU - Corsair 1000 - $239
MOBO - EVGA 132-BL-E758-TR - $239
RAM - OCZ Gold - 6 (2x3) x 2 = 12GB - $249
HDD - 2x 1TB WD Black - $190
Blu-Ray Burner - Pioneer - $199
OS - Vista x64 Home - $110
Monitor - ASUS VW266H Black 25.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail $299

Like I said earlier, I want this thing to be able to handle HD video like it were a mosquito against a semi...and games like Crysis

I beckon thee computer wizards...

EDIT: I've searched long and hard on this and have not really found the answers I'm looking for. Basically, what I'm wondering is, will the Dual Xeon have the same gaming capabilities as a single i7 - and with that, can I run dual GPU's on a server/workstation MOBO to get similar FPS as I would with a flat out gaming rig. AND...Will the i7 setup have the you-know-whats to run and edit HD video.
August 28, 2009 10:39:38 PM

The i7 totaly has the power you're looking for and will allow you to invest in other better parts (and an easy gigahertz oc). I would consider 2 hd 4890s instead of you're 275s, or maybe 3 way sli 260s (i don't know how many slots you're mb has). But the i7 is the way to go.

3 quick comments though. That case seems really expensive. I was able to find my full tower on newegg for about 80 dollars, so you could probably save there. Also, if you wait a month you can get windows 7 for the same price a vista 9i don't know though if you have an upgrade). Lastly, I don't think that you need that much ram, as most systems never really need much more than 4. However, I haven't done the work you're planning on so I guess you need a second opinion.
August 28, 2009 11:44:33 PM

Now, according to everything I've been reading, HD video editing is a serious CPU/Ram hog...and Dual Xeon's would dominate this...my fear is that this Dual Xeon setup will not be the gaming champion I desire...
Related resources
August 29, 2009 5:38:21 AM

Yah, and the core i7 can run 8 threads at a time and can overclock to an easy 3.6ghz. But it's not like you're choosing between a pentium and a celeron.
August 29, 2009 5:05:20 PM

well the dual xeon would be fine for gaming, as the intel 5520 chipset does support corssfire, though it isn't very cost effective, i would still recommend going with the i7
!