Sign in with
Your question

Corsair DDR3 Memory Confusion

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
February 17, 2010 4:29:14 PM

Hi all, I've used the forum a lot to find answers in the past (thanks to all) but I'm a little confused and can't find the answer so thought I would sign up and ask your advise!

I was set to order my new Core i7 920 system components in a few hours but Dabs have stopped selling the triple channel set I had planned on buying earlier today (now doesn't list in search and says unavailable on the page I had) and it's a lot more expensive elsewhere! argh!

The set I was after is:
TR3X6G1600C7 6GB(3x2GB) 1600MHz 7-7-7-20

I've noticed that for £20+ (15%+) cheaper than I can get that set from other places I can get:
CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 6GB(3x2GB) 1600MHz 7-8-7-20

Oddly it's cheaper than the CAS8 (TR3X6G1600C8), which is what I can't work out as it should be quicker so I would've thought more expensive. (Is it older, worse, less overclockable???)

The main problem is, Corsair's website doesn't list any mobos at all in it's supported list and the Asus website (I'm getting a basic P6T as can't see much benefit for me in getting the deluxe) mentions support for the TR3X6G* but nothing about the CMX6GX3* stuff.

Can anyone clear this up for me? I know there won't be much difference between the actual timings so may as well get the cheaper RAM, but if it's not going to work in my new mobo there's obviously no point and I should fork out.

Thanks a lot
Stu
a b } Memory
February 18, 2010 12:10:27 AM

Try to go with RAM on the board's QVL; they have been tested and found to work on the board. The others may work, but to get them running and stable, you may have to try different BIOS settings for the RAM, which can be time-consuming, and you may ultimately find they will not run in the board.
!