Sign in with
Your question

Dual Core in new laptop?

Last response: in CPUs
November 20, 2009 1:01:31 PM

I'm looking around for a laptop for Windows 7 with a bit of movie watching and gaming capacity on the side (though I won't play anything more demanding than WarCraft III on it I bet).
So my needs are a good screen and resolution, solid build, high performance and a decent video card.

So I came across an interesting setup:

Name ASUS X5DIN
CPU Intel Dual Core 2,0 GHz (T4200)
Memory 4096 MB
HDD 5400RPM, 320 GB
Drives DVD burner
Screen 15,6" TFT (1366x768) WXGA w/ web cam
Video 512MB NVidia GeForce G102M
Network Gigabit LAN / Wireless a,g,n
Ports 4 x USB 2.0 / VGA / Card reader
Software Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Weight 2,6 kg

According to xe.com, with the current (i.e. very low) dollar value, it adds up to ~$800 and ~$500 "normally" (before the recession), which is rather cheap around here considering the hardware. I'm buying it mainly for my studies, so price is somewhat of an issue.

What gives me second doubts, however, and that is why I picked this forum, is the processor. I've heard that Core 2 Duo or AMD Turion is what makes the world of laptops go round these days, while this one is considered old technology and heats up fast.

As I'm unfamiliar with Intel processors, and laptops overall, I would like to know if going for a better, more expensive CPU is advisable in this case.
In most cases, if I don't stray too far off the price range, that means downgrading the video card considerably.

More about : dual core laptop

a b à CPUs
November 21, 2009 12:24:12 PM

that is fine if u play the game on medium or low settings and the gfx card is weak as well.

So yes go for a better proc and gfx card

like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

very powerful and very good brand, ASUS is very reliable and they are strong builds

it is 1k though but i don't know what ur budget is
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2009 1:53:47 PM

Stiletto said:
I'm looking around for a laptop for Windows 7 with a bit of movie watching and gaming capacity on the side (though I won't play anything more demanding than WarCraft III on it I bet).
So my needs are a good screen and resolution, solid build, high performance and a decent video card.

So I came across an interesting setup:

Name ASUS X5DIN
CPU Intel Dual Core 2,0 GHz (T4200)
Memory 4096 MB
HDD 5400RPM, 320 GB
Drives DVD burner
Screen 15,6" TFT (1366x768) WXGA w/ web cam
Video 512MB NVidia GeForce G102M
Network Gigabit LAN / Wireless a,g,n
Ports 4 x USB 2.0 / VGA / Card reader
Software Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Weight 2,6 kg

According to xe.com, with the current (i.e. very low) dollar value, it adds up to ~$800 and ~$500 "normally" (before the recession), which is rather cheap around here considering the hardware. I'm buying it mainly for my studies, so price is somewhat of an issue.

What gives me second doubts, however, and that is why I picked this forum, is the processor. I've heard that Core 2 Duo or AMD Turion is what makes the world of laptops go round these days, while this one is considered old technology and heats up fast.

As I'm unfamiliar with Intel processors, and laptops overall, I would like to know if going for a better, more expensive CPU is advisable in this case.
In most cases, if I don't stray too far off the price range, that means downgrading the video card considerably.

That laptop is more than adequate for your needs,. If the price is withen your budget by all means get it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2009 11:08:18 PM

That's a pretty low-end machine by today's standards, but it will absolutely play Warcraft III just fine.
One caution on screen res though--those supposedly HD 720p LCDs don't offer as many vertical pixels, so browsing the web etc is a bit harder. If you're fine with 768 vertical pixels, it'll work. I personally would look for a higher res.
m
l
Related resources
!