Asus Maximus Extreme-Z
EVGA 03G-P3-1596-AR GeForce GTX 590 (Fermi) Classified 3072MB 768-bit GDDR5
Corsair Dominator - two 8Gb kits CMP8GX3M2A1600C9
Corsair H100
WD 2TB
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
also going to add a 200mm fan to side intake

Questions:
I see that the Corsair mem module is approved but the manual does not indicate I can use two kits to fill all 4 DIMM slots for 16Gb setup. Is this ok? Is this the best setup for max memory?
I also saw on a thread somewhere, that the 1.65v on these modules is not ideal for the i7-2600K chip as it mentioned it would shorten the life of the chip? Seems there are mixed "facts" on this issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I understand the case will accommodate the H100 radiator and the top fan opening will be able to handle the space requirements. Can anyone conform, deny or provide some guidance please.

Any issues with using such a high-end card?

Any other thoughts/suggestions on the components?

Thanks!

Hi.

1- Not problem in use two kits for fill out the four RAM lines. Why do you want all that RAM size?
2- The recommended for SB is 1.5V, while it's true that you can run the 1.65V RAM in future or overclock you can have problems.
3- The radiator fit inside without problems, I'm running a 360 radiator on it.
4- The case comes with the 200mm side fan, you don't need to add it. Remember install the radiator inside with the fans in push configuration.
5- I'd not go with the GTX 590, if you want something very good get yourself a MSI GTX 580 TF II, MSI GTX 580 Lightning or ASUS GTX 580 DC II

vin_g

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Appreciate all the info. A couple of more questions though.

The unit is for both gaming and CUDA work, so my customer "cruches" 3D and other business apps, hence he asked for the extra memory, Is it overkill? Do you think 8Gb will suffice? I'm expecting that I can set the voltage to 1.5v in BIOS, correct? Does this affect performance? I do expect to OC the 2600K.

What did you mean about "Remember install the radiator inside with the fans in push configuration." ? Not sure as this is the first time installing H100, I have installed Antec 620 before. Please explain.

Lastly, the customer asked for top-of-the-line gpu and had a 590 in mind. I'm not a gamer, so I'm not sure about how to recommend a 580 vs. the 590. Ideas?

Ok, the 16GB are perfect for that work type and you can change the voltage in BIOS without problems.

For the radiator, when you install the fans on the radiator make you sure that those fans takes the hot air from your case and blow it to the out side for the top of the case. Take a look of the picture below.

215090d1307955099-official-cooler-master-haf-x-932-img_0887-1-.jpg

Picture taken from overclock.net

The GTX 590 is a dual-gpi in the same PCB, while can works good use a much power than the GTX 580 and it's not overclock very well. With a single GTX 580 you get enough power for those needs plus can be overclocked excellent and add another one in future for SLI, all that for less price.

vin_g

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
OK, I'm still not convinced about the memory. I put in a ticket with Corsair as I wanted their 2 cents on what 16Gb kit works with the Extreme-Z board. I got the following response:

I would highly recommend that you purchase a 16GB memory kit. We can not guarantee the sets of modules will work with the board. It may require you to lower the speed.

Here is the kit I would recommend.
http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/dominator/cmp16gx3m4a1600c9.html

This is the Dominator® with DHX Pro Connector and Airflow II Fan — 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMP16GX3M4A1600C9) which is 1.65v stock settiing.

So as you can see, I'm looking for anyone who has this mobo and is running 16Gb (4x4) memory, what they're using and what settings and hopefully using the 2600K cpu as well.

All replies welcome.