Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Recommended hsf for heavy non oc load [solved]

Last response: in Overclocking
November 4, 2011 3:03:35 PM

Hello All,

my rigg is serving as multiseat workstation for 2-3 users which need cpu power.
I had a alpine 11 gt rev 2 which was ok, but I had to install it on my brother in law's comp since I've recommended him to get a alpine 11 pro rev 2 which ended up incompatible with his mb (there isn't enough space in the mb to connect it thus I need to pay for my mistake), so now I use the alpine 11 pro rev 2, but it seems that this specific one isn't compatible with my mb and cpu (the box is labeled 1156, 775 where mine is 1155).

so I went online and investigated a bit. first I've found that the 11 GT isn't recommended to my cpu by AC, I've also found that it seems that AC 11 Plus might serve my needs but beside the ac site (which isn't shipping to my country of origin afaik) I cannot find where to get it so it will be shipped to my country.
in addition, I found a lot are recommending Coolermaster Hyper 212 normal and plus.

after review (and understanding that unless I can find ac11 plus somewhere, I'll not find a low profile one which I prefer), I turn to you, the experts.

I'm looking of a hsf which can sustain high temps due to heavy load (the comp will not be oced) with decent noise and affordable price.

my rigg is as follows:

CPU: i7-2600
MB: GA z86p-ds3
RAM: 4X4GB gskils sniper f3-12800cl9d
CASE: antec two hundread
HD1,2: 2xSAMSUNG HD103SJ
HD3: WDC WD3200AAKS-00B3A0
PSU: antec neo eco 520c
GPU1: ATI 5450HD
GPU2: ATI 3650HD

Thanks!
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
November 4, 2011 3:15:08 PM

A CM 212+ is a very effective cooler.
1156 and 1155 have identical mobo mounting holes btw = same thing
So the cooler you have will mount no problem.
Most manufacturers wisely chose not to produce new packaging just so it says 1155 = costs money
m
l
November 4, 2011 3:30:30 PM

well something wrong, I've mounted it, on full load I get temps of 98C!
with the 11 gt rev2, temp was at ~70C.

that is when the load is at 50%, on 100%, the 11 gt rev2 was maxed at 92C and I don't want to start think what would be with the gt on the same level.

I've doubled checked and it is connected well, all 4 pins are firm, the screws are at the end and there is no space between the base and the actual cooler.

also, I've already promised to install it on my sister's rigg.
m
l
Related resources
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
November 4, 2011 4:21:50 PM

daggs said:

that is when the load is at 50%, on 100%, the 11 gt rev2 was maxed at 92C and I don't want to start think what would be with the gt on the same level.

I've doubled checked and it is connected well, all 4 pins are firm, the screws are at the end and there is no space between the base and the actual cooler.

I'll assume the cooler has thermal paste on it right?
And if you're installing these coolers in crappy cases with poor airflow and less then two fan mounts = would explain bad temps.
Adding aftermarket coolers in systems with bad aiflow doesn't pay off usually.
Sometimes it's better to buy a case with lots of airflow and fan mounting options.
m
l
November 4, 2011 5:00:58 PM

davcon said:
I'll assume the cooler has thermal paste on it right?
And if you're installing these coolers in crappy cases with poor airflow and less then two fan mounts = would explain bad temps.
Adding aftermarket coolers in systems with bad aiflow doesn't pay off usually.
Sometimes it's better to buy a case with lots of airflow and fan mounting options.

I use either the pre applied or arctic silver 5.

my case has 4 fans, 2 intake, 2 out take, the one above the cpu fan is out take.
air flow shouldn't be the issue here.

same setup with another hsf worked excellent.

ask said before, I've promised the hsf to my sister so backing now from the offer is not an option.

this brings me back to my original question, can you recommend a hsf that suits my needs?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 4, 2011 5:56:13 PM

If your getting 98c on your cpu with a hyper 212+ then you must have mounted it incorrectly, the room is very hot, or the fan is not spinning.
m
l
November 4, 2011 6:08:48 PM

geekapproved said:
If your getting 98c on your cpu with a hyper 212+ then you must have mounted it incorrectly, the room is very hot, or the fan is not spinning.

it is winter, the room is not heated, the hsf is mounted correctly as far as I can tell, the fan is spinning and I have a ac 11 pro rev.2 which it seems that it cannot handle the heat :) .

what I wanted to ask is what hsf can match my needs and will the hyper 212+ can match my needs as a lot are recommending it.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 4, 2011 8:31:13 PM

I thought when you said "well something wrong, I've mounted it, on full load I get temps of 98C! " that you had bought the 212+ that the other guy recommended and that was your results of installing it.

The 212+ and 212 Evo are both great coolers and not that expensive. You can also add a second 120mm fan in a push pull configuration if you want it even cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yes I realize your not in the USA.

You could also go for something like this:

m
l
November 5, 2011 5:20:53 AM

geekapproved said:
I thought when you said "well something wrong, I've mounted it, on full load I get temps of 98C! " that you had bought the 212+ that the other guy recommended and that was your results of installing it.

The 212+ and 212 Evo are both great coolers and not that expensive. You can also add a second 120mm fan in a push pull configuration if you want it even cooler.

Yes I realize your not in the USA.

You could also go for something like this:

thanks for the answer, water cooling (let's denote it wc) isn't a good idea due to the following reasons:
  • extremely expensive here, the antec system cost about 123$ and the other one 161$...
  • I got two dogs that might find an interest in it.
  • as I'm not experienced in wc, I always knew that electricity and water shouldn't be together.
  • I cannot seem to find an logical explanation to my wife why I bought a colling system starting at 123$ which is water based and why it is sticking out of the computer...

the 212+ costs about 40$ and I can't seem to find 212 evo where I live.
    I do have another fan slot but this might increase the noise level (I do sit near this computer...)

two more questions about the 212+:
  • does it comes with pre-applied thermal paste? if so, of which brand? how does it compares to the arctic silver 5?
  • is there another hsf you can recommend?
    m
    l
    November 5, 2011 7:15:54 AM

funny but it seems that my wife didn't needed a logical explanation, she just told me it is cheaper than what we bought until now and I should do what I want.

on the other hand, I do think wc is an overkill here.
    what is the noise level of wc in comparison to hsf?
    m
    l
    November 5, 2011 10:10:48 AM

sorry for the additional questions, I've seen that some of the hsf are tall, as my case is vertical stand, I wonder how much the stress such hsf will inflict on the mb.

so I went searching and found the Cooler Master Geminii S and the Noctua NH-C14.

both are low profile (like I wanted) and maybe worth the value, infact, the cm Geminii S is 5$ above the hyper 212+'s cost.

also I've read that Noctua's main goal is to get good cooling with low sound level.
    the only bad thing is the price.

so I take them in account?
    m
    l

Best solution

a c 120 à CPUs
    a c 183 K Overclocking
    November 5, 2011 12:42:32 PM

Buy the CM212+ which will fit in your case btw.
    Your case is an Antec 200(7.9"w)
    212+ comes with a tube of high quality paste..
    Don't use 120mm side fan = useless imo.
    Do mount 2x120mm in front intake if you haven't already.
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    November 5, 2011 12:48:23 PM

I fail to see the relation between your two dogs and water cooling. It's an internal, completely sealed unit, that cannot leak.

I personally think more than one small intake fan is overkill. If you have adequate exhaust out the back and top, it will bring in it's own air through the front grill passively on it's own, it' does not need fans forcing it in.

A low profile fan is not going to cool as well as a high profile fan. Larger fan/heatsink = lower cpu temps.
    m
    l
    November 5, 2011 1:50:29 PM

davcon said:
    Buy the CM212+ which will fit in your case btw.
    Your case is an Antec 200(7.9"w)
    212+ comes with a tube of high quality paste..
    Don't use 120mm side fan = useless imo.
    Do mount 2x120mm in front intake if you haven't already.

interesting, why is it useless?
    m
    l
    November 5, 2011 1:56:53 PM

geekapproved said:
    I fail to see the relation between your two dogs and water cooling. It's an internal, completely sealed unit, that cannot leak.

ok, the part of the wc which isn't going on the cpu, where does it sits?
    I was under the impression it was external thus my dogs have an extra chewing toy.

geekapproved said:
    I personally think more than one small intake fan is overkill. If you have adequate exhaust out the back and top, it will bring in it's own air through the front grill passively on it's own, it' does not need fans forcing it in.

ok, my bad, I think I have one intake and 3 ourtakes, the front is an intake. still I'm with case open now and the temps are the same.

geekapproved said:
    A low profile fan is not going to cool as well as a high profile fan. Larger fan/heatsink = lower cpu temps.

how can the mb sustain the weight of the Noctua NH-D14 which weights 1.3 kg for example?

m
    l
    a c 120 à CPUs
    a c 183 K Overclocking
    November 5, 2011 2:01:42 PM

daggs said:
    interesting, why is it useless?

In my experience all sidefans do is add dust,disrupt airflow,and add max 1-2C temp decrease if you're lucky.
    A 120mm fan is more useful as a front intake if you don't have any installed there.two is even better.
    Enhances case airflow more coverage of components(usually filtered).
    Side fans can interfere with installation of better cpu coolers.
    Side fan are used as intakes 99% of the time.
    m
    l
    November 5, 2011 2:06:15 PM

Also, there are often sales on newegg and various electronic retailers for the CM 212+ and Evo for $20-30. And also, given the ridiculously high temperature (unless thats with a stock cooler), something is wrong with your thermal paste application. I have a 212+ and it's probably the best bang/buck CPU cooler out there.
    m
    l
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    November 5, 2011 2:17:40 PM

Quote:
    how can the mb sustain the weight of the Noctua NH-D14 which weights 1.3 kg for example?

The cooling fan bolts throught the motherboard to a backplate on the other side, like most good coolers do. This requires you to remove the motherboard in most cases.
    m
    l
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    November 5, 2011 2:21:29 PM

daggs said:

You mounted what? A CM 212+? Do you have an aftermarket HSF or not? You used heat sink compound and removed the plastic from the HSF I presume.
    The large HSF's use a backplate mounted on the back of the MoBo to support the weight of the HSF.
    I looked at an 11GT Rev2 http://www.pcdistrict.com/arctic-cooling-alpine-11-gt-r... and quite honestly wouldn't trust my $300 CPU to a $12 HSF like that.
    And by the way, you're pushing your luck with a 520 W PSU.
    So pull your head out and take some advice from the people who actually own CM 212's or any decent aftermarket HSF and quit your blubbering.

m
    l
    November 5, 2011 2:24:03 PM

davcon said:
    In my experience all sidefans do is add dust,disrupt airflow,and add max 1-2C temp decrease if you're lucky.
    A 120mm fan is more useful as a front intake if you don't have any installed there.two is even better.
    Enhances case airflow more coverage of components(usually filtered).
    Side fans can interfere with installation of better cpu coolers.
    Side fan are used as intakes 99% of the time.

very interesting, say I remove the side fan and move it to the front, what will prevent dust from entering from the side vent?

assuming I get a high hsf, can I set it's fan toward the side vent? will this be useful in any way?

jerrbear89 said:
    Also, there are often sales on newegg and various electronic retailers for the CM 212+ and Evo for $20-30. And also, given the ridiculously high temperature (unless thats with a stock cooler), something is wrong with your thermal paste application. I have a 212+ and it's probably the best bang/buck CPU cooler out there.

I'm not from the US, Canada and nor China so Newegg is relevant.

how is the noise level of the 212+?

also, it is a 0.6 Kg which towers some 15 cm vertical to the mb, how does the plastic sustains such weight?
    m
    l
    November 5, 2011 2:36:00 PM

geekapproved said:
    Quote:

The cooling fan bolts throught the motherboard to a backplate on the other side, like most good coolers do. This requires you to remove the motherboard in most cases.

I see, is the 212+ like this?

DelroyMonjo said:
    You mounted what? A CM 212+? Do you have an aftermarket HSF or not? You used heat sink compound and removed the plastic from the HSF I presume.
    The large HSF's use a backplate mounted on the back of the MoBo to support the weight of the HSF.
    I looked at an 11GT Rev2 http://www.pcdistrict.com/arctic-cooling-alpine-11-gt-r... and quite honestly wouldn't trust my $300 CPU to a $12 HSF like that.
    So pull your head out and take some advice from the people who actually own CM 212's or any decent aftermarket HSF and quit your blubbering.

I'm not blubbering, before you start yelling read what I wrote and have some little respect to others.

I'll sum it up, I had a 11GT Rev2 which done the job, due to mb size limitation I've passed it to my brother in law and too his 11 pro rev2 which doesn't seem to do the job.
    I'm looking for a better hsf.

it seems that the 212+ is a wise choice which I'll most probably get but as I'm not familiar with high hsf (comp parts are expensive where I live and I'm not Bill Gates...) I had questions.

why am I pushing my luck with the psu? no matter where I asked I got approval for it, also the calcualtor at http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine approves my selection.
    m
    l
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    November 5, 2011 3:02:15 PM

DelroyMonjo said:

It really pays to read the whole thread before replying.

Also I disagree about the power supply. That system pulls 425w maximum at 100% tdp.

Daggs, I gotta say, your asking a lot of questions that could be easily answered by doing research. Fan noise (DB), how it's mounted, does it come with thermal paste, is the watercooler external, can all be answered by either looking at the links I provided, going to the manufacturers website and reading the specifications and what's included and how it mounts can all be found in 30 seconds.
    m
    l
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    November 5, 2011 3:21:17 PM

Here is a link which will offer a large number of HSF's.
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Hy...
    Have a look and see if any of those specs fit your needs. Then go to the mfg's website to see if any will fit in your case. Then check on price and availability.
    The people in here are trying to help you and all we get are excuses from you. The reason a CM 212+ was mentioned most is because it is very popular and very inexpensive. It works for me but I don't run my processor at 100% load all day.
    Have a nice day...
    m
    l
    November 5, 2011 3:38:55 PM

geekapproved said:
    It really pays to read the whole thread before replying.

Also I disagree about the power supply. That system pulls 425w maximum at 100% tdp.

Daggs, I gotta say, your asking a lot of questions that could be easily answered by doing research. Fan noise (DB), how it's mounted, does it come with thermal paste, is the watercooler external, can all be answered by either looking at the links I provided, going to the manufacturers website and reading the specifications and what's included and how it mounts can all be found in 30 seconds.

you are right but there are somethings that aren't that obvious, for example. unless I've missed something in the visual install at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSq_xbxsm7Q, the connection is only on the mb.

anyway, I'd like to thank you and davcon for your help, the 212+ it is.

Thanks alot :) 
    m
    l
    November 5, 2011 3:39:52 PM

Best answer selected by daggs.
    m
    l
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    November 5, 2011 4:14:48 PM

Remember if your still running hot, you can always add a second fan to the 212+.
    m
    l
    November 5, 2011 4:24:58 PM

geekapproved said:
    Remember if your still running hot, you can always add a second fan to the 212+.

nice! I did not knew that!

Thanks!
    m
    l
    a c 120 à CPUs
    a c 183 K Overclocking
    November 5, 2011 5:52:59 PM

daggs said:
    nice! I did not knew that!

Thanks!

Thanks for the BA daggs!
    You'll be happy with your temps once the 212+ is installed.
    Noise wise it's average @ low to mid 30db max.
    You don't need much paste and the supplied tube has 3-4 applications in it.
    Do the bottom two-line method in this link.
    Works great everytime.
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
    I've used it on two rigs i own.
    m
    l
    November 5, 2011 6:21:11 PM

davcon said:
    Thanks for the BA daggs!
    You'll be happy with your temps once the 212+ is installed.
    Noise wise it's average @ low to mid 30db max.
    You don't need much paste and the supplied tube has 3-4 applications in it.
    Do the bottom two-line method in this link.
    Works great everytime.
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
    I've used it on two rigs i own.

sure, although geekapproved's was instrumental too, you were the first to offer the 212+.

interesting, I've always applied the paste onto the cpu, not the hsf, I'll take a look at it.

Thanks.
    m
    l
    a c 229 à CPUs
    a c 163 K Overclocking
    November 5, 2011 7:08:10 PM

daggs said:
    very interesting, say I remove the side fan and move it to the front, what will prevent dust from entering from the side vent?

Not at all....the only thing that prevents dust from entering your case are air filters. The side air intake fan is a very effective source of cool air for GFX cards .... the typical case design brings cool air in the front low and out the rear high oft resulting in dead air between GFX cards....a conditrion solved by the side window fan.

Your case is not really designed for twin GPU's. I'd consider the Antec 300 Illusion as the starting point for any twin GPU setup. But here's a simple test to determine whether case cooling is a problem.

Take of side window and place one of these, or whatever ya got that's handy, blowing into the case:
    http://www.vornado.com/product.aspx?CategoryID=2c76a58c...

Yeah, it's a desk fan :) 

If it doesn't change much, your case cooling is fine.

As for TIM application, most HS's have a smooth surface ..... if it doesn't then ya wanna fill any grooves in the surface with TIM .... but too much TIM is as bad as too little.

The 212 is a great budget cooler..... however, if the system is not overclocked, the stick cooler should be just fine. Nothing you are using on a workstation can put anywhere near the load on that prime95 can and THAT is what you should be using when checking temperatures.

m
    l
    November 5, 2011 7:35:11 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
    Not at all....the only thing that prevents dust from entering your case are air filters. The side air intake fan is a very effective source of cool air for GFX cards .... the typical case design brings cool air in the front low and out the rear high oft resulting in dead air between GFX cards....a conditrion solved by the side window fan.

Your case is not really designed for twin GPU's. I'd consider the Antec 300 Illusion as the starting point for any twin GPU setup. But here's a simple test to determine whether case cooling is a problem.

Take of side window and place one of these, or whatever ya got that's handy, blowing into the case:
    http://www.vornado.com/product.aspx?CategoryID=2c76a58c...

Yeah, it's a desk fan :) 

If it doesn't change much, your case cooling is fine.

As for TIM application, most HS's have a smooth surface ..... if it doesn't then ya wanna fill any grooves in the surface with TIM .... but too much TIM is as bad as too little.

The 212 is a great budget cooler..... however, if the system is not overclocked, the stick cooler should be just fine. Nothing you are using on a workstation can put anywhere near the load on that prime95 can and THAT is what you should be using when checking temperatures.

the case is currently open and there isn't any change, also when the fan was inplace, I do think that the your test fan won't show other size.

also, both of my gpus aren't hardcore, they are the bare minimum.

the fan one is running at 51C and the fanless is at 59C.

as for what I'm running, beside the multiseat, I run multiple boinc calculations...
    also I'm using a linux distro named Gentoo which is source code based distro so believe me that the gpu is under load.
    m
    l
    November 9, 2011 7:05:22 PM

Holy ***! I've just finish mounting the 212+, under load the temps are below 45C!
    that is unbelievable, 20C below the original fan.

OT, when I've removed the AC pro rev2, I've noticed that the paste almost didn't smeared, so I assume that I've connected it wrong somehow.

anyway, thanks again all!
    m
    l
    !