SSD better than WD velociRaptor for OS boot and temp drive?

brian114

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Hi,
I'm building a new power pc and data access speed is very important for me, for designing use, adobe collection, 3d animation etc..........I've suggested in another post to use SSD as boot and temp drive
(http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/313639-31-nvidia) ,
I was wondering if SSD can really out perform tradional motored hardisk on a performance for price basis, also I already know that SSD tend to perform very slowly after heavy usage,i.e, heavy data exchange and sometimes need to be booted again...

So, is it really worth and will it really out perform a velocirator in my situation?
Please help..
Thnks

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Absolutely. It is really worth it. Repost in the ssd forum if you want a barrage of advice.

Old ssds would slow significantly when filled (actually hdds as well). But they start out in the neighbourhood of 100 times faster in the random access department.

Boot, adobe, animation. SSD is a must!

If you ever spend any time in front of a computer waiting for boot, wake, program loading, etc. You will save minutes per day, hours per week, etc. By having an ssd. Everything is right there. Crisp. Use a cav black or two raided for storage, etc.

brian114

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

Thnks,
I've also check with some friends and I'm definitely gonna get An SSD.....Do you have any recommendations?
100 to 150Gogs would be fair enough for me!

tecmo34

Administrator
I would recommend going with the 120 GB Intel 510 or Intel 320 SSD for your system. 120 GB is a pretty sweet spot to give you enough room for OS & Apps... Intel drives are among the most reliable drives being produced right now. In my experience, Intel drives seem to excel in those type of applications :)