da10x

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
Hi, I have an Ultra X3 1000W Power Supply.
I think it is the Power supply that is causing the problem but please give me some insight into this problem.

I am running a GTX 280 with a Q9550 Quad Core processor (stock cooling), 4GB of Patriot 1066MHz DDR3 RAM, one 10k RPM Hard Drive, a Razer Barracuda Sound Card, and this PSU. Motherboard is an EVGA 790i Ultra.

My case is a Coolermaster Cosmos 1000, and I'm running air cooling.
OS is Vista Ultimate 64-Bit (inb4 sucker)

I run at a 1920x1200 Resolution, and if I don't have a desk fan running into my case, I get either a sound looping, graphics frozen crash (which I think is due to graphics card overheating) or a system shutoff (which I think is from the PSU failing?). This only happens when I am playing graphically-intensive games (like TF2 - more looping sound/occasional shut offs, MW2 sometimes, L4D2 sometimes), and I am not getting any BSODs. It's as if I pulled the plug. I then have to press the power button twice to turn it back on.

I'd better add that I was experiencing problems in the past and it turns out that it was a design error and they replaced the defected PSU, yet I'm still experiencing shutoff problems. Also, how can I fix the freezing in-game?

What could be the problem and what should I do? It's driving me nuts.

P.S. While I'm here, I guess I'll ask this too. I tried overclocking my CPU, but when I reboot (either manually or through this problem), the values would reset back to stock, why is this?

Solution
Ultra is not known for high quality power supplies. On the other hand a 1,000 watt power supply is overkill for your system and you should have been okay. A high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with 40 amps on the +12 volt rails can easily power your system.

Years ago when the very first Ultra modular psu was introduced I bought one. Luckily I was testing it when it blew. Scared the living day lights out of me. That's when I switched to a high quality Corsair power supply.
Ultra is not known for high quality power supplies. On the other hand a 1,000 watt power supply is overkill for your system and you should have been okay. A high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with 40 amps on the +12 volt rails can easily power your system.

Years ago when the very first Ultra modular psu was introduced I bought one. Luckily I was testing it when it blew. Scared the living day lights out of me. That's when I switched to a high quality Corsair power supply.

Solution