Sign in with
Your question

External drive wont work on powered hub

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 20, 2011 6:31:10 PM

I have two external drives which are exactly the same and i use both on my USB powered hub. But for some reason, two days ago, one of them started sayin "device is not formatted do you want to format now?". Hub has several devices attached to it as well that works perfectly.
Here is what i tried to diagnose....
When plugged straight into the computer it works perfectly.
When changing the power supply of said external, has no effect.
when changing port that it or the hub is plugged into, no effect.
It sometimes works for short periods in the hub...
tried uninstalling the driver while it plugged in and reinstalling.
tried only having the drive plugged into the hub, still doesnt work.

ANY help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance
a c 104 G Storage
June 20, 2011 7:23:27 PM

Hi Beren,

You've done a great job of troubleshooting this schizophrenic external removable drive. What kind of HDD is it, and what kind of case do you have it in?
Would guess there is a problem with the case interface PCB between the HDD and the ?USB connector. If you have the ability of taking the HDD out of the case, and connecting it directly to you computer by a SATA connector, worth a try to r/o the drive as the problem.

It's not infrequent to hear this same problem, but usually they are due to the USB connector powering an external drive just not having enough available current that these larger drives need. Here, yours is powered from the hub.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 20, 2011 8:33:18 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi Beren,

You've done a great job of troubleshooting this schizophrenic external removable drive. What kind of HDD is it, and what kind of case do you have it in?
Would guess there is a problem with the case interface PCB between the HDD and the ?USB connector. If you have the ability of taking the HDD out of the case, and connecting it directly to you computer by a SATA connector, worth a try to r/o the drive as the problem.

It's not infrequent to hear this same problem, but usually they are due to the USB connector powering an external drive just not having enough available current that these larger drives need. Here, yours is powered from the hub.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I have thought of this but for there to be any problem with the actual USB-sata internal interface of the case,would it still be working if just connected to the computer itself? This is a relatively new HDD bought from sahara computers called the White box special. I am unsure what hard drive is inside but suspect a samsung. It is a 2TB drive but regardless of that i do not think the actual drive is the problem child in this case. Also this drive does not need a powered hub, it is powered externally.
a c 104 G Storage
June 20, 2011 10:04:07 PM

The only other component that could be at fault is the USB cable. If it's detachable, try a different short one.

When it is plugged into your computer directly, run Chkdsk /F driveLetter: to make sure the disk drive is OK. The /F switch fixes any errors.

If you are still having trouble, don't take any chances, and consider having it replaced.
The interesting thing is you have its twin to compare normal behavior on your system.
!