Solved

Powersupply good enough for crossfire?

Last response: in Components
November 20, 2009 3:05:52 PM

Hello guys, i m thinkin of buildin a new pc with following spec:

AMD PhenomIIX4 955 BE
4GB RAM
AMD 790X motherboard
ATI 5770 video card x 1 (gonna add 1 more later for crossfire)

I was originally thinking of getting corsair 550w powersupply but i think if i add additional 5770 card later, powersupply will not be good enough to handle crossfire systme.. should i spend little more and go for corsair 650w instead??
November 20, 2009 3:16:25 PM

dreamie09 said:
Hello guys, i m thinkin of buildin a new pc with following spec:

AMD PhenomIIX4 955 BE
4GB RAM
AMD 790X motherboard
ATI 5770 video card x 1 (gonna add 1 more later for crossfire)

I was originally thinking of getting corsair 550w powersupply but i think if i add additional 5770 card later, powersupply will not be good enough to handle crossfire systme.. should i spend little more and go for corsair 650w instead??

Im my humble opinion the bugger your psu the better as you dont need to buy a new psu to keep up with future upgrades
m
l

Best solution

a c 248 ) Power supply
November 20, 2009 4:13:39 PM

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are some exceptions such as the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series of energy efficient cards which require a little less power.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands with a reputation for high quality power supplies. They consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stables and come with at least a 5 year warranty. Some Corsair models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing other brands offering a few high quality units.

The Corsair TX750 would be a good choice for a system with two ATI Radeon HD 5770 video cards operating in Crossfire mode. It's on sale at newegg.com for $109.99 and shipping is free:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

!