What is the difference in memory and which is better?

danasgems

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Hello. I would like to know what the difference is between DDR2, DDR3 AND SDRAM memory please and which is better? I have thousands of images to keep and need to know which is best.

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

danasgems

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I have not bought the computer yet so i do not know. There is a HP, a Dell and a Gateway I am looking at. What information do you need and I can look it up and let you know?

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
well, i was asking because memory is not going to be the basis in which you want to buy a computer. The CPU is the most important part as it serves as the brains of the PC.

For Example, For Intel CPU's, Core i7 is the best, then Core i5, then Core i3, then Core 2 Quad, then Core 2 Duo.

Core i3/i5/i7 can ONLY use DDR3, Core 2 Duo/Quad can use either DDR2 or DDR3 (depending on the motherboard) but those CPU's will not fully utilize DDR3 so there really is no point in using DDR3 with Core 2 Duo/Quad.

List what CPU's the that the HP/DELL/Gateway PC's have, most likely, you will be limited to either DDR2 or DDR3, you will not have a choice.

Also, is this a pre-built PC or is it something you are configuring yourself?

danasgems

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I re-did my search and here are the 2 computers I came up with to choose from.

Dell Inspiron Model #I1764-60750BK (this states DDR3 SDRAM)

Dell Studio Model #X1647-5330BK (this states just DDR3)

This is a pre-built system. I will be getting it at Best Buy, as that is the only electronics store, other than Radio Shack here in my area.

Does this help, or do you need more information? I am not sure what a CPU is and under the breakdown of each of these computers i do not see "CPU" specifically listed. Is there another name?

scudst0rm

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
as for your confusion about SDRAM, SDRAM is just a general type of ram that includes DDR, DDR2 and DDR3. So DDR3 is the same as DDR3 SDRAM.

Although there is also a type of RAM called just SDRAM, which came before DDR, but that type of ram is pretty old so you would not encounter it when looking at new computers.