Sign in with
Your question

WWYD with a 40 gig SSD?

Last response: in Storage
June 20, 2011 9:38:16 PM

Hey all,
I have a 40 gig SSD collecting dust. I would LOVE to use it, but I haven't decided on just how yet.

What I'm leaning towards: Install Linux (Ubuntu) on it and dual boot (currently running Windows 7 on a 500gig hard drive)

I also considered putting my windows system files on it (super fast) but after brief research found that there is a painful process of moving all of the other unnecessary folders off of that drive, etc, etc.

What would you do? :o 

More about : wwyd gig ssd

June 20, 2011 9:59:48 PM

and if i wanted to throw in a little linux partition, should i do that on my HDD simply to save space for games/cache/windows on the SSD?
m
l
June 20, 2011 10:07:43 PM

bryguy894 said:
and if i wanted to throw in a little linux partition

I would say install it on a virtual computer and have the virtual hard disk on the SSD. When you want your SSD free for something else, move the virtual computer's system hard disk to a different location.
m
l
Related resources
June 20, 2011 10:13:01 PM

ineedh3lp said:
I would say install it on a virtual computer and have the virtual hard disk on the SSD. When you want your SSD free for something else, move the virtual computer's system hard disk to a different location.

forgive my noobiness, but can you dual boot from that setup? as in, boot into the virtual computer's linux?
m
l
June 20, 2011 10:24:22 PM

bryguy894 said:
can you dual boot from that setup? as in, boot into the virtual computer's linux?

Sure, a virtual hard disk to the virtual computer is just like a regular hard disk to the host computer. You can create a single virtual hard disk and have it partitioned, it will still look the same on the outside (from the hosts point of view).
m
l
a c 177 G Storage
June 20, 2011 11:55:06 PM

Could you use windows easy transfer to collect all of your user files and settings?
Install windows on the SSD(leave the 500g disconnected) and import your transfer files to the ssd.
You will have to reinstall any apps.
m
l
June 21, 2011 3:58:06 AM

Use the SSD for ZIL / Caching on a ZFS system. Sorry the Sun geek had to be let out a little.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 23, 2011 6:55:40 PM

You could use the SSD as a Hard Drive cache by using a HighPoint Rocket Hybrid card or an Intel Z68 motherboard. Not the best performing option, but the easiest to set up.
m
l
!