Simple Cooler Question!

kaspro

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Hi, i just upgraded my case and video card for my system, i got the NZXT Gamma and Radeon HD 6870, i got a phenom ii x4 955 oc to 3.5
the case comes with one rear 120mm fan, and i bought another 120mm coolermaster fan, and i really dont know if i should use it in the top to take hot air out, or in front to enter cool air in the case? :)
Note: i got alot of dust where i live :)
Thanks!

slcmike

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
You need air flow...so one front and one back would be optimum. One top fan is great for pulling heat directly from the HSF but you need front to back more than anything. You can rig a cheap dust filter out of screen door material.

jim45682

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

You mean take the side fan and move it to the front? if that would give you a front intake, rear exhaust and allow you to put one in the top to exhaust then yes, either way I would reccomend getting at least enough fans to have one front one top and one rear, remember heat rises naturally so top exahaust just makes sense

You mentioned that you have a lot of dust where you live. Look up positive pressure in relation to PC ventilation. Having a higher air pressure inside the case compared to your room will dramatically decrease the amount of dust that stays inside (ie, more fans blowing into the case instead of exhausting out of the case).

But more important is what everyone else is saying; have a consistent direction for the air in the case. If your fans are working together as a system then it will give better cooling, less noise, and less wear and tear on the fans. Excessive amounts of copper helps too :D

G

I've found positive air pressure makes no difference. Air pressure one way or the other dust will always end up inside the case. Intake fans blow in air while exhaust fans suck in air. The dust flowing through the cracks in the case are negligible. The bulk of the air would enter through fans and empty vents. PRESSURE doesn't matter but filtering the air intakes will help. But IMO the disadvantages are greater than the advantages. Filters create a lot of noise and air restriction and you end up having to clean the case anyway :/ .

beenthere

Distinguished
Exactly - this positive/negative pressure argument has little merit IME. You need good airflow thru the case to get cool air in and the heated air out. I do use filters and they do reduce how often you need to open the case for cleaning. I haven't detected an increase in noise but it may be a function of the fan/filter design and fan speed.