GTS250 on CM Extreme Power Plus 600 W

sa_sandeep

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Hi guys..

I have a Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 600 W PSU and I am planning to buy a GTS 250 1GB card. I want to know if this would be able to handle the card or not. I don't do overclocking but prefer playing at higher resolutions (rarely using AA). Will the card run smoothly???

My second question is which manufacturer I should prefer for the card. I live in New Delhi, India, and here Leadtek and MSI are available at shops but could not find an XFX, Galaxy, or Gigabyte one. I can get those online which would cost me a few bucks more (newegg does not ship here :( ). But I am ready to shell out the extra bucks if they perform better than the first two available options. Lately, I have heard about Palit which generally makes card comparatively cheaper than other manufactures. Should I go for Palit as that would save some of my hard-earned money???

Thanx...

BruceOTB

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
That is overkill dude. get a generic 550-watt psu and your good to go. if it breaks down, no problem, just replace it. just make sure that you plug your psu to an avr (automatic voltage regulator), then the avr, of course, is the one you plug in the electric socket. gts 250 is not that of a power hog compared to a 4850 anyways. it would help if you state the rest of your specs.

this is a serious suggestion, no joke. people might find this advice stupid but i'd say its practical.

sa_sandeep

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Thanx for replying BruceOTB

Actually, I have read in many sites that the PSU i have (talking about Extreme Power Plus series) is actually 550 W and stands nowhere when compared to Corsair 450 ones. Discussed with some friends and they too agreed with that. Frankly speaking, I expected a reply that the PSU wont be able to handle the card, But now i am really confused...

anyway here are the system specs...tell me if i miss out on something...

CPU: E4400 2.00 GHz (hoping to upgrade soon)
MB: Intel DG965WH
RAM: Kingston 1X2 GB DDR2 667Mhz
HD: Seagate 250 GB
PSU: CM Extreme Power Plus 600
GPU: 8600 GT (to be replaced by GTS 250)
MONITOR: Samsung 2233SW
DVD: Samsung DVD R/RW..

Thanx for the help so far...

sa_sandeep

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Hey BruceOTB...

sorry for the late reply...

could you please explain to me in a bit more detail about avr (automatic voltage regulator). i have never used such a thing, so don't have any idea...it would be great if you help me in this matter.

thanks for the help so far.