What does a fried ram stick do to a computer

sparks insanity

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
im having the same problem and i don't really understand it...i put another ram stick into my pc... i turned it on then it started burning etc. SO i turned it off took it out it didn't look any different so i put it back in it beeps brings a light on the disk drive and it beeps nothing shows up on the monitor any idea how to fix?

Solution
If it worked before you smelled smoke from the RAM, it's likely the cause. You'll just have to hope it didn't do damage to the motherboard or RAM slot.

The fact that you got a beep code when you plugged the RAM chip in after you smelled the smoke, is a good indication for the motherboard.

Once you can test with a new RAM chip, let us know what happens, and we'll go from there.

sparks insanity

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
k..well...uhm all i really know is i turned it on one day it turned on a orangish light came on my disc drive nothing booted on screen and it beeped, so i turned it off opened the casing and the ram stick was burnt so i looked around and couldn't find any extra but if it can be declared the problem ill just order a new ram stick :))

If it worked before you smelled smoke from the RAM, it's likely the cause. You'll just have to hope it didn't do damage to the motherboard or RAM slot.

The fact that you got a beep code when you plugged the RAM chip in after you smelled the smoke, is a good indication for the motherboard.

Once you can test with a new RAM chip, let us know what happens, and we'll go from there.

Solution

Aneesh@4GHz

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

Repeated beepS
No posting
etc...

TRENDING THREADS