Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What does a fried ram stick do to a computer

Last response: in Motherboards
February 17, 2010 10:56:10 PM

im having the same problem and i don't really understand it...i put another ram stick into my pc... i turned it on then it started burning etc. SO i turned it off took it out it didn't look any different so i put it back in it beeps brings a light on the disk drive and it beeps nothing shows up on the monitor any idea how to fix?
a b V Motherboard
February 17, 2010 11:22:45 PM

Repeated beeps usually signify faulty RAM. If it's damaged, remove it. Faulty RAM can stop a PC from POSTing. You may want to insert a working RAM chip in that slot to make sure the slot isn't damaged.
m
l
February 18, 2010 12:01:19 AM

thanks...if it doesn't work would the hard drive or messed up wiring have anything to do with it??
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2010 12:04:06 AM

There could be many reasons a computer doesn't boot properly. We would need a more thorough description to diagnose that.

If the hard drive was bad, you would still see a BIOS screen.
m
l
February 18, 2010 12:06:55 AM

k..well...uhm all i really know is i turned it on one day it turned on a orangish light came on my disc drive nothing booted on screen and it beeped, so i turned it off opened the casing and the ram stick was burnt so i looked around and couldn't find any extra but if it can be declared the problem ill just order a new ram stick :) )
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2010 12:15:54 AM

If you've got more than 1 RAM chip, just remove the one in question. You should still be able to boot with the rest of your RAM if they aren't damaged.
m
l
February 18, 2010 12:29:09 AM

i don't have one but i will order one right now..will be here like friday hopefully so if that don't work any other possibilities?
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2010 2:53:21 AM

If it worked before you smelled smoke from the RAM, it's likely the cause. You'll just have to hope it didn't do damage to the motherboard or RAM slot.

The fact that you got a beep code when you plugged the RAM chip in after you smelled the smoke, is a good indication for the motherboard.

Once you can test with a new RAM chip, let us know what happens, and we'll go from there.
February 18, 2010 3:19:40 AM

sparks insanity said:
im having the same problem and i don't really understand it...i put another ram stick into my pc... i turned it on then it started burning etc. SO i turned it off took it out it didn't look any different so i put it back in it beeps brings a light on the disk drive and it beeps nothing shows up on the monitor any idea how to fix?

Repeated beepS
No posting
etc...
m
l
February 19, 2010 2:55:36 AM

Best answer selected by sparks insanity.
m
l
!