785 mobos and XP - problem with onboard graphics?

I saw a reference in a THW article yesterday that the onboard graphics on MBs with a 785 chipset had problems with XP. I was just about to order a Gigabyte GAS-MA785GMT-UD2H board with ATI 4200 onboard graphics - handy though I'd have a discrete card for games (?ATI 5770). I'm happy with XP and have three licences - is there any point in getting the onboard graphics with XP or is their a major problem? Would another chipset be better? Thanks, Faustino
3 answers Last reply
More about mobos problem onboard graphics
  1. I'm not aware of any chipset wide problem involving onboard graphics and XP. Do you have the link to the article?
  2. No, I tried to post a message on it yesterday but had a problem, I couldn't find it today. A very recent article, it mentioned in passing, as if it were well-known, that onboard graphics with 785 chipset didn't work (or had severe problems) with XP. Handy to have more info before I order my parts!
  3. If you found the article, I'd be interested in reading it.

That's a popular chipset, and XP is still a popular OS. I think if there was a widespread problem, there would be more noise about it on here. It's good to take caution, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets Graphics Windows XP Motherboards