Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade advice

Last response: in Systems
August 29, 2009 10:30:10 AM

My PC has been with me for a while and i built it with my own two hands and too proud to toss it away for a new one and wanting to upgrade it to make it a little beefier. As of now im running A Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.53GHz on a old ASUS P4PE board, 1408MB RAM, 2 HD's (160GB & 80GB), NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 AGP card, Sound Blaster Audigy card. I know most of the component are pretty ancient but shes been so reliable but i have decided to gut her for:

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L Motherboard - Socket 775, Intel G31 Express, Socket 775 (G31 Cpset)
PNY GeForce 9500 GT Video Card - 512MB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0
Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 Processor 3.06GHz
and popping 4gb of 800MHz DDR2 memory

I have tried picturing the whole setup in my mind but i have a few hesitations and would like a second opinion, So what say you...and please be gentle

More about : upgrade advice

August 29, 2009 2:27:49 PM

What is your budget? I think you should get a faster and more future proof AMD system for the same amount that it would cost to put together this system. Also what power supply are you going to be using?
August 29, 2009 2:31:26 PM

Your current rig says that you upgrade your pc very rarely and it actually doesnt matter if he takes amd or intel now, since when he will be upgrading even amd sockets will be dead. if your budget lets you, take faster gpu like 4850, the rest is ok.
Related resources
August 31, 2009 5:19:20 AM

My budget as of now is around 400-800 bucks i was doing a little looking online and possibly found a better mother board for the processor i picked out. A Gigabyte EP45-UD3L Motherboard with a P45 chipset, supporting dual channel memory
August 31, 2009 5:42:42 AM

unless you plan on crossfiring a pair of ATI gfx cards a P43 board is just as good and cheaper than a P45

But b4 we go on ... what do you use this computer for?
August 31, 2009 5:44:01 AM

@szymek its very true that going with either intel or AMD doesnt matter...
But if the OP dont game and the PC is just required for regular tasks, then he could save on the graphics card as the AMD mobos have pretty powerful onboard video, that can even play some 2-year old games well...

@blitztec, does she game ?? If No, then you can certainly check out the AMD rig as the onboard video is very powerful and you wouldn't want to add even a separate graphics card...
There are 2 reasons that I would suggest the AMD rig -
1. Currently the AMd CPUs are the Best bang for the buck...they offer similar or better performance than intel CPUs @ the same price point.

2. Another major factor would be the onboard graphics - They have a very good onboard graphics, that are capable of 1080p playback and have some decent gaming power @ low resoutions...

So its upto you to decide...
August 31, 2009 7:04:04 PM

Well its specifically for Gaming and as soon as i get my new tablet in the mail i want it to serve also as a graphics design station so i transfer my art over to a new medium I have had both AMD and Intel setups over the years, and i much rather prefer to have a intel chip driving the system i have no real desire to add an additional graphics card unless its really called for, I will cross that bridge when i get there the major concern is getting my processor updated so that i can run the new games i have been looking forward to come out soon Like SC2, Diablo3 and Aion online which call for a 2.8 Processor or better, i do plan to over clock just a bit I have a 550w PS and a more than adaquate cooling system installed already plan to dump 2 of my hard drives to upgrade to a 1Terra one after all is said and done

PS: If anyone has any Case sugesstions for the motherboard in question i would very much appreciate it
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
September 1, 2009 4:14:14 AM

^ If you are pretty set on intel, then you should wait till 9 September...intel is all set to launch newer mainstream i5 CPUs, that would offer very good value...
So its better to decide after that...
!