Install Windows 7 on Asus P5W DH 1 TB drive

cornelshs

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
Hello.

Im trying to install Windows 7 64bit on a 1 TB Samsung drive.
The name of the motherboard is Asus P5W DH Deluxe
I have flashed with the latest bios.

I find the drive in the BIOS and have selected it as first boot device.
Then i insert a usb flash drive, with Windows 7 on, and press F8 to get into the boot selection popup menu to appear. I select my Kingston Datatravler, and the Windows 7 install begins.
It's fine until i shall select where to install Windows 7.
Then there is no drive in the list.
I try to load the driver that i found on Asus homepage, without any result.

I have also tried with a HBA adapter (Highpoint RockedRaid 620) and loaded that driver, but no, will not find it.

Is the 1 TB drive to big?

I've build several computers in my life, but this, i dont understand, please help!

You are right about that. I don't know where that came from. I apologize, I must need more coffee.

Your board isn't that old. I have a LGA 775 board (gigabyte) and it has no problem with my WD 1Tb drive. I'm running Win 7 Ultimate x64. Your newest bios is dated 10/26/2010 which is fairly new. I don't know if it makes a difference, but my board has a ICH10R chipset and yours has an ICH7R. Sorry I can't be of more help. If I find anything out, I'll report back to you.

cornelshs

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004

I've build hundreds of computers (at my work) and fixed hundreds, and i play with them almost all day long (to much would someone say!) It's so frustrating when something that should work fine, doesn't work at all. And no error message, just... we cant find your drive. Period.

Will try to dig up an old Raptor 150 gb drive from my pile of old computer equipment and see if a smaller drive would do the trick.
I'm also using a HBA interface card that came with a new 2.5 TB WD drive that.

That's extremely odd that windows can't detect the drive when it's attached to the HBA card. Have you tried the drive in another system? Perhaps if you partition and format it in another system then transfer it back to this new build then windows will see it.

cornelshs

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
The disk was part of a RAID stripe array (raid 0) in the previous computer it was used.
It might be that witch ticked Windows 7 off.

But i think i will stick with the raptor now that's already installed and running fine.

TRENDING THREADS