Your question

Can i hook a hard drive up to a laptop?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
November 20, 2009 8:27:31 PM

Help! I recently left my employ but brought my harddrive home to take my personal info off. I hooked it up to my home desktop monitor and the monitor is not recognizing it so I can't see anything. Is there anyway I can hook up the hard drive to my laptop so I can take my info off?

More about : hook hard drive laptop

a c 172 à CPUs
a b C Monitor
November 20, 2009 8:29:59 PM

Put it in an empty USB drive case.

If you do not know exactly what you need, take the drive down to best buy and tell them you need a USB case.
m
l
a c 108 à CPUs
November 20, 2009 8:32:16 PM

If you determine what type of hard drive it is, we may be able to recommend an external enclosure that you may connect via USB, firewire or eSATA to your home computer.
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2009 8:42:12 PM

wait....the monitor doesn't recognize the HDD?

perhaps you should ask someone else to help you....

the monitor is just a screen....it has nothing to do with hardware recognition
m
l
a c 199 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
November 20, 2009 10:02:44 PM

Quote:
Help! I recently left my employ but brought my harddrive home to take my personal info off. I hooked it up to my home desktop monitor and the monitor is not recognizing it so I can't see anything. Is there anyway I can hook up the hard drive to my laptop so I can take my info off?

Monitors display video output, they don't read HD's

You can connect one of these to your laptop's e-SATA or USB ports.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
a c 108 à CPUs
November 20, 2009 11:02:17 PM

I know we at Tom's love to 'Give-Give-Give / Never Take' but I'm wondering if anyone else may have considered the legal status of the hard drive in question? - LOL

No offense, OP, of course.

Just to let you know your 'IP' address has been logged across the internets and would be accessible to local, state and Federal law enforcement organizations.

The Patriot Act, FTW!

:p 
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2009 12:18:58 AM

Wisecracker said:
I know we at Tom's love to 'Give-Give-Give / Never Take' but I'm wondering if anyone else may have considered the legal status of the hard drive in question? - LOL

No offense, OP, of course.

Just to let you know your 'IP' address has been logged across the internets and would be accessible to local, state and Federal law enforcement organizations.

The Patriot Act, FTW!

:p 

LOL - exactly what I was thinking :D .

Anyway, if the data was small enough to fit on a thumb drive, that would have been the obvious solution, plus erasing the original files afterwards.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2009 12:43:24 AM

Quote:

:heink:  Hmmm...... HDD to moniter...One of these thing just doesn't belong here. (just skip to 5:19 on video.)
m
l
!