Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Meet Frank - Water Cooled Beast

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
November 5, 2011 3:32:26 PM

Frank was shortened from "Frank N Stein" as he was so named in his initial build in Feb 2010, then the 2011 upgrade came and through the process, he simply is known now as "Frank" :sol: 

Frank is a gaming/work PC that rips up just about anything I throw at him while keeping his cool.

Here is the beast finally finished after hundreds if not thousands of hours of detail and building, tweaking, changing out hardware, and the likes over the last 9+ months - Frank is one cool monster of a PC.

I made some videos of Frank as well: http://www.youtube.com/user/FrankNSteinPC?feature=mhee





















More about : meet frank water cooled beast

a b K Overclocking
November 5, 2011 3:42:39 PM

Wow, a beast indeed. Must've cost a pretty penny.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 5, 2011 3:50:21 PM

Frank is a BAAAADD MUTHA *****

kudos on the awesome machine and setup
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 5:10:20 PM

ty - I didn't know if I should post it in there or not. This was my first post in these forums, so direction is appreciated. :hello: 

Will a moderator move it or should I just start a new on in there?
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 5:31:23 PM

Very nice build if you dont mind, can you tell me how much you spent, give or take?
m
0
l
a c 337 K Overclocking
November 5, 2011 7:53:45 PM

You can just post a link to this thread with some info and pics.

Very clean, pro build. Very nice work. Welcome to the forums!
m
0
l
November 5, 2011 9:54:51 PM

OK will do - thanks

Cost - hmm, yeah the jury is still out on that one - really I have no idea. My wife can throw out a number pretty quickly, however its not toally accurate as I have also purchased parts for a SLI GTX 580 HTPC as well, so the purchases were blended, etc. Ballpark/rounding & figuring - thinking I had shipping and other costs, many things I purchased went in then back out and I sold to buy other things and the variations go on. I purchased stuff like liquid that wouldeither drain in areas I didnt want it to so I had to replace it, or accidents galore that caused me to have to keep buying liquid. I would buy something to put in Frank like lights then take them out because it was too much, etc - there was a lot in and out of this case, well actually that is another unassociated cost - his original Corsair 800D got hosed in a re-painting attempt and I went and bought a new Corsair 800D. Below I rounded and shot high on each to get a basic idea. This is everything that is in and makes up Frank, if it is tied to or depends on Frank - I listed it.

These are not exact numbers.........but somewhere close
EVGA GTX 580 3072MB x 3 @ $700ea = $2,100
GTX 580 x 3 @ $100ea = $300
EVGA Classified 3 @ $500
EK Classified 3 water block @ $100
EK CPU Water Block @ $150
Corsair 800D @ $300
Silverstone ST-1500 $500
Wire/Sleeving/mesh/cables/misc @ $2,000
DVD Drive @ $100
BD Player @ $150
Corsair Dominator RAM @ $400
Xigmatech Fans @ $20 ea x 7 = $140
Cooler MAster fans @ $20 ea x 3 = $60
Core i7 990X @ $1,000
BlackIce Xtreme Performance 360 RAD @ $100
Bitspower Pump Mod Kit @ $100
Bitspower Rotary 90 @ $20ea x 4 = $80
Koolance Quick Disconnects @ $50 pr set x 10 (many spares) $500
All other connectors and fittings - approx $200
MCP 655 pump @ $100
Fan covers @ $15 ea x 7 = $105
Spray Paint @ $15 ea X 20 = $300
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB SSD @ $150ea
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD @ $150ea
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB $150
Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB @ $100
Saitek Cyborg v7 Keyboard @ $100
Razer Naga Molten Edition mouse @ $100
Yamaha RX-V567 Receiver @ $300
Klipsch 5.1 HD500 5.1 Speaker set @ $350
Turtle Beach PX5 Wireless Headset @ $250
Koolance ERM-2K3UCU @ $900
Bottles of Fluid - used tons - @ $20ea x 20 = $400
Asus 24" Monitors @ $350 ea x 3 = $1,050
LSi RAID Controller @ $250
PCI USB Riser Card @ $50
XFI Titanium Fatality Sound Card @ $150
Tubing - tons - Approx $150
Planar Triple Monitor Stand $300
Card Reader $10

Estimated ballpark of $14,195

m
0
l
November 6, 2011 1:51:37 AM

Homeboy2 said:
Thanks man, now I can show my wife this price list and tell her to get off my back about what my build cost! :lol:  :bounce:  :ouch: 

lmao - how about we introduce them so they can both - um "discuss" our builds, I think its their place to be the one to chew on us for our hobbies - no matter what hobby it is, there is a guy with a wife complaining what he spends on it. I think that was somewhere around the 25th page on the woman's handbook.
m
0
l
November 6, 2011 1:53:54 AM

The1stCAVVET said:
OK will do - thanks

Cost - hmm, yeah the jury is still out on that one - really I have no idea. My wife can throw out a number pretty quickly, however its not toally accurate as I have also purchased parts for a SLI GTX 580 HTPC as well, so the purchases were blended, etc. Ballpark/rounding & figuring - thinking I had shipping and other costs, many things I purchased went in then back out and I sold to buy other things and the variations go on. I purchased stuff like liquid that wouldeither drain in areas I didnt want it to so I had to replace it, or accidents galore that caused me to have to keep buying liquid. I would buy something to put in Frank like lights then take them out because it was too much, etc - there was a lot in and out of this case, well actually that is another unassociated cost - his original Corsair 800D got hosed in a re-painting attempt and I went and bought a new Corsair 800D. Below I rounded and shot high on each to get a basic idea. This is everything that is in and makes up Frank, if it is tied to or depends on Frank - I listed it.

These are not exact numbers.........but somewhere close
EVGA GTX 580 3072MB x 3 @ $700ea = $2,100
GTX 580 x 3 @ $100ea = $300
EVGA Classified 3 @ $500
EK Classified 3 water block @ $100
EK CPU Water Block @ $150
Corsair 800D @ $300
Silverstone ST-1500 $500
Wire/Sleeving/mesh/cables/misc @ $2,000
DVD Drive @ $100
BD Player @ $150
Corsair Dominator RAM @ $400
Xigmatech Fans @ $20 ea x 7 = $140
Cooler MAster fans @ $20 ea x 3 = $60
Core i7 990X @ $1,000
BlackIce Xtreme Performance 360 RAD @ $100
Bitspower Pump Mod Kit @ $100
Bitspower Rotary 90 @ $20ea x 4 = $80
Koolance Quick Disconnects @ $50 pr set x 10 (many spares) $500
All other connectors and fittings - approx $200
MCP 655 pump @ $100
Fan covers @ $15 ea x 7 = $105
Spray Paint @ $15 ea X 20 = $300
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB SSD @ $150ea
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD @ $150ea
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB $150
Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB @ $100
Saitek Cyborg v7 Keyboard @ $100
Razer Naga Molten Edition mouse @ $100
Yamaha RX-V567 Receiver @ $300
Klipsch 5.1 HD500 5.1 Speaker set @ $350
Turtle Beach PX5 Wireless Headset @ $250
Koolance ERM-2K3UCU @ $900
Bottles of Fluid - used tons - @ $20ea x 20 = $400
Asus 24" Monitors @ $350 ea x 3 = $1,050
LSi RAID Controller @ $250
PCI USB Riser Card @ $50
XFI Titanium Fatality Sound Card @ $150
Tubing - tons - Approx $150
Planar Triple Monitor Stand $300
Card Reader $10

Estimated ballpark of $14,195


Thanks man, now I can show my wife this price list and tell her to get off my back about what my build cost! :lol:  :bounce:  :ouch: 
m
0
l
November 6, 2011 1:09:37 PM

2,000$ on Sleeving... That's more than the entire cost of my gaming rig.
m
0
l
November 7, 2011 1:33:19 AM

hey where did you buy the sleeving at if you dont mind me asking and the mesh
m
0
l
November 7, 2011 11:16:23 AM

SushiDragon said:
2,000$ on Sleeving... That's more than the entire cost of my gaming rig.

LMAO - yeah it can be done, I may have understated mine. I was first buying my sleeving from places like PerformancePCs and a company over in the UK that has a unique red/black weave. Then I went to MDPC-X - they may not be cheap, but you can see the quality as well.

I also noticed I forgot the UPS's too - got to have back-up power/surge protection/power cleaners............

2- BELKIN HTPC UPS's @ $500 ea w/Shipping
-1 dedicated to powered USB and 3 monitors
- 1 dedicated to Windows Home Server (very top of rack), Yamaha Receiver, ERM unit, Belkin GB switch
1- PowerKing $500 w/Shipping - Dedicated to Frank only

So with an additional $1,500 in batter backup, that takes Frank well over the $15k mark if I were to build him from scratch again. Then the COUNTLESS hours if detailing.

ghostmob said:
hey where did you buy the sleeving at if you dont mind me asking and the mesh

MDPC-X is where I get my sleeving now - though PET isn't that bad either. You can get that at Performance PCs or multiple other places on the web. The mesh I purchased was A.C. Ryan Modders mesh and though I got it at Performance PC's, many mod sites have modders mesh. There are different patterns, tightness, and manufacturers of this, so good to look around before settling on one. I hope that helps.
m
0
l
November 7, 2011 12:23:20 PM

thank you ya i was looking around but the ones i found are ugly not a set color
m
0
l
November 7, 2011 12:52:37 PM

ghostmob said:
thank you ya i was looking around but the ones i found are ugly not a set color

Sleeving or mesh? I painted the mesh - FYI. Sleeving though, MDPC-X has some great colors IMO.
m
0
l
November 8, 2011 7:26:19 PM

what is that stuff that is on the metal part that is normally black * above the psu
m
0
l
November 8, 2011 10:17:30 PM

ghostmob said:
what is that stuff that is on the metal part that is normally black * above the psu

That is A.C Ryan modders mesh I painted red. I cut a template by measuring the "floor" section, cut it out, then put it in. Once in, I then cut the holes that are normally two water tubing holes there in that floor in the front and made one big oval from them and extended it a bit further to handle the GPU cables and allow them to fall directly down.

Here is the mesh I used:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

Several others here:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...
m
0
l
November 8, 2011 11:09:31 PM

Sweet build! Is it possible that you could upload a simple side view picture so that we could see all of Frank's beautiful insides in one shot?
m
0
l
November 9, 2011 10:50:54 AM

How's this for a side shot?





Here are all the "Frank" pictures you could probably stand - as well as the progressive history of the many looks and iterations he went through this year........

http://flickr.com/Photos/Frank2011
m
0
l
a c 337 K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 3:06:38 PM

Wait- Are you running only a single 360 rad for a CPU and tri-SLI 580's?

Edit: I see that stand-alone Koolance unit...is there a rad and pump in there? I can't imagine how much $$ is sitting on that office rack...

Edit Edit: What exactly do you DO for a living? :) 
m
0
l
November 10, 2011 11:26:40 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Wait- Are you running only a single 360 rad for a CPU and tri-SLI 580's?

Edit: I see that stand-alone Koolance unit...is there a rad and pump in there? I can't imagine how much $$ is sitting on that office rack...

haha, yeah there is a Koolance ERM unit that houses a 24v MCP655 type pump with a huge radiator, etc. That is the external cooling unit that takes the major heat out, where the BlackIce Xtreme inside just takes the edge off after passing through the cpu block. There is some $$ sitting in that rack - at the top is another system, its my Windows Home Server I built that houses about 4TB of HDD space, two external 4-bay drive units as well with an additional 10TB of storage, a Q9650 @ 3.8GHz on air (just because I like to OC), and 6GB OCZ DDR2 Reaper RAM.
rubix_1011 said:
Edit Edit: What exactly do you DO for a living? :) 

I started a couple companies - I work from home - I never leave work, so Frank has to handle daily constant work aside from our gaming times.
m
0
l
a c 337 K Overclocking
November 10, 2011 12:27:04 PM

Nice- envious. :) 

I'd like to have a personal office getup like that at some point, but I guess being a senior Linux/Windows/network engineer doesn't get you the income like entrepreneurship does. :/ 

Anyway- great work. Also, really enjoy the gallery photos. I'm a bit of amateur photographer, so I liked seeing the artistic shots and the studio setup. Also a Canon guy...
m
0
l
November 10, 2011 4:10:30 PM

OK, so I am taking some more pictures of Frank and figured I would share some more of the over all office and Frank with his lights/fans/power on.





















m
0
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 10, 2011 5:47:46 PM

Thats it, I've reported you to MDPC :p 
Thats a fantastic 'office' man,
now, about your cable management hehe
Moto
m
0
l
a c 337 K Overclocking
November 10, 2011 5:51:41 PM

Quote:
now, about your cable management hehe


In this instance, that's like telling a supermodel you don't like the hat she's wearing.
m
0
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 10, 2011 6:41:13 PM

Hehe I know, but we can't give out all praise here :) 

Moto
m
0
l
a c 337 K Overclocking
November 10, 2011 6:51:29 PM

The only thing he's guilty of is going all out. I like this build...very complete, very BIG and a lot of great custom work done. I'd love to have a budget for a build like that...holy crap...the things I could do. :) 
m
0
l
November 10, 2011 10:54:59 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Thats it, I've reported you to MDPC :p 
Thats a fantastic 'office' man,
now, about your cable management hehe
Moto

LOL - yeah, MDPC has seen a pic or two of Frank. He uses MDPC Sleeving on all the power and SATA cables. Thanks for submitting it though, not sure if Frank fits what they are looking for these days.........but if anyone feels they should, by all means feel free to submit. I would love Frank to be considered.

Now on to your cable management questions/discussion, first lets define where...............

This Cable Management?







Or this cable management?













Does this help?
m
0
l
a c 337 K Overclocking
November 10, 2011 11:56:13 PM

It's almost like...magic...
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 11, 2011 2:35:22 AM

.....that is just pure awesome. I don't think I would be able to come close to that machine in terms of building something even if I had a large budget to work with.

BTW pictures came out good, the attention to detail you gave to this machine is insane. It is a work of art in my opinion.
m
0
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 11, 2011 2:44:54 AM

Hehe, I only mentioned it in jest but yes, that ducting you've added is a neat touch on things,
I love the stitch detailing on the internal wires too, that must take some time whoever does it
Moto
m
0
l
November 11, 2011 12:34:03 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Hehe, I only mentioned it in jest but yes, that ducting you've added is a neat touch on things,
I love the stitch detailing on the internal wires too, that must take some time whoever does it
Moto

TY - yes stiching cables takes a TON of time - I actually did a tutorial video set on YouTube on how to sew cables. I had so many ask me how to do it I just make a set of 4 videos that walks through how to sew these like this.

Check out Frank's YouTube channel here for videos of Frank, Cable Sewing, and Gaming:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FrankNSteinPC?feature=mhee

I had several goals in mind when I built Frank - one was to build something not only massively powerful, but also a work of art, so you saying that helps me feel like I got that part accomplished. Most modded PC's that have this level of detail are at most times mid-powered rigs IMO, not many are this beastly with this much detail, so I wanted Frank to be different, stand out and above the rest. I also wanted to add something unique to him and the cable sewing apparently was something most have never seen before, so I was happy to bring something new to PC Modding and give yet another option to make things look neat and clean.

I also took up photography during this build and many shots are tkaen with an artistic view in mind, but first you have to build something like Frank to be able to take those "artsy" style photos to begin with. Now that I have him built and feel I have taken a ton of pictures, I guess its time to go build another for my wife - hmm Purple and Sand seems to a fitting color combo.....................

Here are some more artsy/detailed photos I took along the way and after he was done.............








m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 11, 2011 1:35:36 PM

I am in awe...

Very impressive. Well done.

/jealousy

;) 
m
0
l
November 14, 2011 7:02:01 PM

Thanks - "Frank" could always use more tweaking, but it came time to finally say "He is done!" or I would never stop changing this or adjusting that.

:bounce: 

So I had to finally call it quits and just enjoy the final product. I am gaming at 6000x1080 in MW3 online with all eye candy cranked and getting 90+ FPS pretty solid. BF3 maxed out in SP I am running 45+ FPS, up to 80FPS and it is simply impressive in visuals at that resolution IMO. Crysis 2 does as well with everything maxed out - so for a machine I started out wanting to simply pwn Crysis 2 with, turned into an art project, an office redeisgn, and the list goes on. I just went with it, without actual direction, I just kept doing what next felt like was the next thing to do and here we have the final product.

Now to just get a solid black shag rug in the office and eventually three 30" monitors and I should be good until the next major upgrade build.............
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 2:16:44 AM

This may sound stupid but with such a high end expensive build... Two things come to mind...

1. why 4.6Ghz... man up and hit 5ghz with that rig...
2. Why the counter productive 3rd gtx580....
3. Howd you get the nice red/black 8pin cables? :D 
m
0
l
a c 337 K Overclocking
November 17, 2011 1:49:04 PM

Quote:
This may sound stupid but with such a high end expensive build... Two things come to mind...


Well, yes, since there are actually 3 things listed...

Quote:

1. why 4.6Ghz... man up and hit 5ghz with that rig...
2. Why the counter productive 3rd gtx580....
3. Howd you get the nice red/black 8pin cables?



1. Not everyone watercools to overclock- this is a very common misconception
2. Not exactly counter productive, but at the resolutions he is running,
3. He discusses the cabling above and I believe is in some of the additional links.
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 2:15:08 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:
This may sound stupid but with such a high end expensive build... Two things come to mind...


Well, yes, since there are actually 3 things listed...

Quote:

1. why 4.6Ghz... man up and hit 5ghz with that rig...
2. Why the counter productive 3rd gtx580....
3. Howd you get the nice red/black 8pin cables?



1. Not everyone watercools to overclock- this is a very common misconception
2. Not exactly counter productive, but at the resolutions he is running,
2. He discusses the cabling above and I believe is in some of the additional links.


Only one thing comes to my mind and he said he was going to add those later, but with this kind of money available 3 30" monitors would have been the first parts I would have purchased.
m
0
l
a c 337 K Overclocking
November 17, 2011 2:18:28 PM

Man, I can't count either. Guess that's what happens when you are updating identifier registries while you are replying to forum posts. :) 

It's really only beneficial to run insane resolutions with tri-SLI cards like that, and even then, it's hit or miss. In a build like this, it's more for potential, looks and quality than actual FPS differences.
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 2:23:01 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Man, I can't count either. Guess that's what happens when you are updating identifier registries while you are replying to forum posts. :) 

It's really only beneficial to run insane resolutions with tri-SLI cards like that, and even then, it's hit or miss. In a build like this, it's more for potential, looks and quality than actual FPS differences.


Or.... doing some hi speed folding.
m
0
l
a c 337 K Overclocking
November 17, 2011 2:38:02 PM

GPUs scale 100% on GPGPU applications, correct. :) 
m
0
l
November 17, 2011 3:53:37 PM

Either way its sick :)  Hope once im done with my build its half as clean as that and Ill be a happy camper haha
m
0
l
November 19, 2011 12:26:18 PM

1. why 4.6Ghz... man up and hit 5ghz with that rig...
2. Why the counter productive 3rd gtx580....
3. Howd you get the nice red/black 8pin cables?

4.6GHz is daily running - not for benchmarking and I do not want to ruin a $1k processor by "manning up". 4.6GHz seems to feed these GTX 580's fine at stock speeds, however for benchmarking I am able to hit 4.87Ghz and crank the GPU's to 920Ghz and benchmark. I have not found stability past 4.8Ghz with this 990X however the mem controller on it went bad- it is now being RMA'd to Intel, so hopefully the one I get back will have more headroom in it.

I found a major difference in running games with high AA by not only going three way SLI but with the 3GB cards. I do eventually want to go three 30" monitors and this will help as well, though right now I do run a 6000x1080 resolution with bezel management and I do not feel these are counterproductive as all run at 88-97% most of the time in game - all three of them, and I get great frame rates. During some troubleshooting times I was running two of them and found performance degraded when I would turnb one of them off via the MB jumpers, then set up SLI on two cards and run three monitors. So I like the extra headroom these three cards give - plus asthesticaly, to fill that view with raw power - ohh what a nice geekgasim. Yes, I also have Frank doing folding at times w/the EVGA team, however its hit and miss when I actually turn it on. When I do, Frank is a GPU folding beast. Also one reason three way SLI isnt really much better at times than 2-WAY SLI with these cards is because most of the time the CPU cannot feed the GPU's with enough to make it worth the extra power - the GPU's are starved. When @ 4.2Ghz all three of these GPU's run in the 75-80% area - crank the CPU to 4.6GHz and it maxes the GPU's - which then its time to OC the GPU's and the balancing begins. However most PC's do not have the processing power to push those GPU's to max so they are a waste many times to have three. Frank on the other hand uses them and uses them to max potential most of the time at 4.6GHz and stock GPU clocks (778MHz core clock). We can push BF3 with full eyecandy turned on maxed out at 6000x1080 around 50FPS solid. The same goes for Crysis 2 with all eye candy maxed out as well. With MW3 I am getting 90FPS solid (I think its capped at 90).

I built the cables by hand. I purchased the wire, pins, connectors, etc from Performance PCs and the sleeving/heat shrink from MDPC-x, and built all the cables by hand. Actually during Frank's build I eneded up build MANY 24-pin cables with different sleeving and colors until I landed on the MDPC-x sleeving and current color scheme. I had built some that were red/black sleeving and red sleeving combo - which you see in the tutorials on YouTube. I probably built 4-5 of these and sewed them in all, then the final MDPC-x sleeved cables came. The first few were learning I guess as each one came with its own set of issues and it was actually easier to rebuild new ones then fix them for various reasons. When I was done I sewed them into that water fall/form to keep them visually straight and inline. I did a tutorial on how to sew cables on my YouTube Channel for Frank.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FrankNSteinPC?feature=mhee

I am going to purchase a black shag rug and get rrid of the patch work rug, then figure out how to stealth the front panel so the drivers are hidden and the front is smooth. These are the two things I am working on now. I am also looking into a monitor arm I can mount on the rack above Frank to use for my WHS that is in that BACH case at top. Right now I have to use the left most monitor and switch which input its pulling from (DVI vs HDMI) as I have both the WHS and Frank tied to the far most left monitor. The Yamaha Receiver also is connected to the middle monitor via HDMI so I can swap between them as well when I want to do calibration or tweaks to the A/V receiver. So I may change that to a single 17" that I have in my closet and run both of those on a dedicated monitor above Frank connected via LCD arm to the equipment rack.
m
0
l
November 19, 2011 12:53:53 PM

The1stCAVVET said:
We can push BF3 with full eyecandy turned on maxed out at 6000x1080 around 50FPS solid. The same goes for Crysis 2 with all eye candy maxed out as well.


*Drool*
m
0
l
November 22, 2011 4:51:12 AM

damn you must make seven figure salary to afford all that!
m
0
l
November 29, 2011 12:10:47 PM

richboyliang said:
damn you must make seven figure salary to afford all that!

lol, no, just get the kids out of college, get things paid off and you find that there is finally something left over for you. Yes it takes making decent cash, but not a 7 figure salary. Now if kids were still at home (aside from this big kid), yeah it would take a 7 figure to do something like this I guess and afford them at the same time - kids are freaking expensive.
m
0
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 29, 2011 4:12:03 PM

Kids, the one hobby you can never afford lol
they're rarely upgradeable, not userfriendly as far as I can see, no support or manual with it, why would anyone get one??
and just try getting an RMA for one.......
:p 
Moto
m
0
l
a c 337 K Overclocking
November 29, 2011 4:16:49 PM

The defective ones are far more enjoyable than the ones that work as designed. However; based on what I have seen, either they all are defective, or they were all designed to work outside the rules most of us understand.

How can something that is free to make, ultimately cost so much?
m
0
l
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!