over clocking tivo

Hi all,
The more I have in my Now Playing list the slower the tivo displays the
list. I have upgraded to 170 hours of recording. Is there anyway to over
clock the unit? I am not even close to filling up the drives. I can
remove some of the programs but I am leaving Movies on the drives so I
can watch them again with surround sound. I have a tivo hacking book and
it says nothing about over clocking.

Thanks for all your help.
Michelle
11 answers Last reply
More about over clocking tivo

    That is only logical is it not? The more files in the system,the longer
    it takes to process the file list.The only solution to me would be to
    upgrade the processor chips that control processing speed,which is a
    hardware problem,not a software one.

    * SAC 441 wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > That is only logical is it not? The more files in the system,the longer
    > it takes to process the file list.The only solution to me would be to
    > upgrade the processor chips that control processing speed,which is a
    > hardware problem,not a software one.

    Actually RAM is the answer no faster chip necessary.

    --
    David
    He is a man capable of turning any colour into grey.

    On 2005-04-30, Michelle P <thecatsandiSPAMMeIfYouDare@earthlink.net> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > The more I have in my Now Playing list the slower the tivo displays the
    > list. I have upgraded to 170 hours of recording. Is there anyway to over
    > clock the unit? I am not even close to filling up the drives. I can
    > remove some of the programs but I am leaving Movies on the drives so I
    > can watch them again with surround sound. I have a tivo hacking book and
    > it says nothing about over clocking.

    This is what I used to speed things up.

    http://www.9thtee.com/tivocachecard.htm

    YMMV based on TiVo model/series.

    I understand this and I do not expect the list to get any shorter and
    and getting frustrated with the increasing wait.
    Michelle

    SAC 441 wrote:

    >That is only logical is it not? The more files in the system,the longer
    >it takes to process the file list.The only solution to me would be to
    >upgrade the processor chips that control processing speed,which is a
    >hardware problem,not a software one.

    Mike,
    Great site. I have a DSR7000 which was not listed. I am going to contact
    them....
    Michelle

    Michelle P wrote:

    > I have a DSR7000 which was not listed.
    > I am going to contact them....

    Don't bother. The product is compatible only with the models listed.

    On the bright side, the version 6.2 software upgrade (the rollout of
    which is ongoing) provides a significant speed boost. The "folders"
    feature should be especially beneficial (assuming that you opt to use
    is), as it will reduce the size of your Now Playing list (by shifting
    multiple installments of a single program to a separate screen).

    http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dvr_upgrade.html

    In article <v3nck2x18l.ln2@news.gates_of_hell.com>,
    SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

    > * SAC 441 wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > > That is only logical is it not? The more files in the system,the longer
    > > it takes to process the file list.The only solution to me would be to
    > > upgrade the processor chips that control processing speed,which is a
    > > hardware problem,not a software one.
    >
    > Actually RAM is the answer no faster chip necessary.

    Thats why Series 2 have twice the Ram of Series One.

    On 2005-05-01, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
    > In article <v3nck2x18l.ln2@news.gates_of_hell.com>,
    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> * SAC 441 wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> > That is only logical is it not? The more files in the system,the longer
    >> > it takes to process the file list.The only solution to me would be to
    >> > upgrade the processor chips that control processing speed,which is a
    >> > hardware problem,not a software one.
    >>
    >> Actually RAM is the answer no faster chip necessary.
    >
    > Thats why Series 2 have twice the Ram of Series One.

    The Series 2 machines also have a much faster CPU as well. It's a good
    combination - more memory + faster CPU.

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:14:01 GMT, Michelle P
    <thecatsandiSPAMMeIfYouDare@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >The more I have in my Now Playing list the slower the tivo displays the
    >list. I have upgraded to 170 hours of recording. Is there anyway to over
    >clock the unit? I am not even close to filling up the drives. I can
    >remove some of the programs but I am leaving Movies on the drives so I
    >can watch them again with surround sound. I have a tivo hacking book and
    >it says nothing about over clocking.
    >
    >Thanks for all your help.
    >Michelle

    I upgraded the drive that came with it with a WD Caviar. These have 8
    megs of cache on them, and I've definitely noticed some speed
    difference.

    Zeligg

    "Prayer has no place in the public schools,
    just like facts have no place in organized religion."

    - Superintendent Chalmers, The Simpsons

    "David Levy" <d_levy@lifeisunfair.net> wrote in message
    > Michelle P wrote:
    >
    >> I have a DSR7000 which was not listed.
    >> I am going to contact them....
    >
    > Don't bother. The product is compatible only with the models listed.
    >
    > On the bright side, the version 6.2 software upgrade (the rollout of
    > which is ongoing) provides a significant speed boost. The "folders"
    > feature should be especially beneficial

    If this "speed boosted" version 6.2 is the first one with folders, then I
    have it, and my Tivo is still disgustingly slow. Tivo cheaped out on the
    hardware.

    "Adam Corolla" <nospam@nospam03550265902.com> wrote in message

    > "David Levy" <d_levy@lifeisunfair.net> wrote in message
    >> Michelle P wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a DSR7000 which was not listed.
    >>> I am going to contact them....
    >>
    >> Don't bother. The product is compatible only with the models listed.
    >>
    >> On the bright side, the version 6.2 software upgrade (the rollout of
    >> which is ongoing) provides a significant speed boost. The "folders"
    >> feature should be especially beneficial
    >

    > If this "speed boosted" version 6.2 is the first one with folders, then I
    > have it, and my Tivo is still disgustingly slow. Tivo cheaped out on the
    > hardware.

    No, folders came with 4.x which was available only on the standalone TiVo
    (unless you hacked your DTivo). 6.x is new and will be available on
    DirecTivo as well (at least that's what my brief reading on the subject at
    dealdatabase led me to believe).

Tivo Video Home Theatre