over clocking tivo

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 30, 2005 5:14:01 PM

Hi all,
The more I have in my Now Playing list the slower the tivo displays the
list. I have upgraded to 170 hours of recording. Is there anyway to over
clock the unit? I am not even close to filling up the drives. I can
remove some of the programs but I am leaving Movies on the drives so I
can watch them again with surround sound. I have a tivo hacking book and
it says nothing about over clocking.

Thanks for all your help.
Michelle

More about : clocking tivo

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 5:14:02 PM

That is only logical is it not? The more files in the system,the longer
it takes to process the file list.The only solution to me would be to
upgrade the processor chips that control processing speed,which is a
hardware problem,not a software one.
April 30, 2005 8:10:01 PM

* SAC 441 wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> That is only logical is it not? The more files in the system,the longer
> it takes to process the file list.The only solution to me would be to
> upgrade the processor chips that control processing speed,which is a
> hardware problem,not a software one.

Actually RAM is the answer no faster chip necessary.

--
David
He is a man capable of turning any colour into grey.

On 2005-04-30, Michelle P <thecatsandiSPAMMeIfYouDare@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
> The more I have in my Now Playing list the slower the tivo displays the
> list. I have upgraded to 170 hours of recording. Is there anyway to over
> clock the unit? I am not even close to filling up the drives. I can
> remove some of the programs but I am leaving Movies on the drives so I
> can watch them again with surround sound. I have a tivo hacking book and
> it says nothing about over clocking.

This is what I used to speed things up.

http://www.9thtee.com/tivocachecard.htm

YMMV based on TiVo model/series.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:24:01 AM

I understand this and I do not expect the list to get any shorter and
and getting frustrated with the increasing wait.
Michelle

SAC 441 wrote:

>That is only logical is it not? The more files in the system,the longer
>it takes to process the file list.The only solution to me would be to
>upgrade the processor chips that control processing speed,which is a
>hardware problem,not a software one.

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:34:03 AM

Mike,
Great site. I have a DSR7000 which was not listed. I am going to contact
them....
Michelle

Mike Hunt wrote:

>On 2005-04-30, Michelle P <thecatsandiSPAMMeIfYouDare@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>The more I have in my Now Playing list the slower the tivo displays the
>>list. I have upgraded to 170 hours of recording. Is there anyway to over
>>clock the unit? I am not even close to filling up the drives. I can
>>remove some of the programs but I am leaving Movies on the drives so I
>>can watch them again with surround sound. I have a tivo hacking book and
>>it says nothing about over clocking.
>>

>This is what I used to speed things up.
>
>http://www.9thtee.com/tivocachecard.htm
>
>YMMV based on TiVo model/series.

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:34:04 AM

Michelle P wrote:

> I have a DSR7000 which was not listed.
> I am going to contact them....

Don't bother. The product is compatible only with the models listed.

On the bright side, the version 6.2 software upgrade (the rollout of
which is ongoing) provides a significant speed boost. The "folders"
feature should be especially beneficial (assuming that you opt to use
is), as it will reduce the size of your Now Playing list (by shifting
multiple installments of a single program to a separate screen).

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dvr_upgrade.html
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:39:57 AM

In article <v3nck2x18l.ln2@news.gates_of_hell.com>,
SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

> * SAC 441 wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > That is only logical is it not? The more files in the system,the longer
> > it takes to process the file list.The only solution to me would be to
> > upgrade the processor chips that control processing speed,which is a
> > hardware problem,not a software one.
>
> Actually RAM is the answer no faster chip necessary.

Thats why Series 2 have twice the Ram of Series One.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 5:58:36 AM

On 2005-05-01, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
> In article <v3nck2x18l.ln2@news.gates_of_hell.com>,
> SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
>
>> * SAC 441 wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> > That is only logical is it not? The more files in the system,the longer
>> > it takes to process the file list.The only solution to me would be to
>> > upgrade the processor chips that control processing speed,which is a
>> > hardware problem,not a software one.
>>
>> Actually RAM is the answer no faster chip necessary.
>
> Thats why Series 2 have twice the Ram of Series One.

The Series 2 machines also have a much faster CPU as well. It's a good
combination - more memory + faster CPU.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 8:01:31 PM

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:14:01 GMT, Michelle P
<thecatsandiSPAMMeIfYouDare@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Hi all,
>The more I have in my Now Playing list the slower the tivo displays the
>list. I have upgraded to 170 hours of recording. Is there anyway to over
>clock the unit? I am not even close to filling up the drives. I can
>remove some of the programs but I am leaving Movies on the drives so I
>can watch them again with surround sound. I have a tivo hacking book and
>it says nothing about over clocking.
>
>Thanks for all your help.
>Michelle

I upgraded the drive that came with it with a WD Caviar. These have 8
megs of cache on them, and I've definitely noticed some speed
difference.

Zeligg

"Prayer has no place in the public schools,
just like facts have no place in organized religion."

- Superintendent Chalmers, The Simpsons
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 11:28:14 AM

"David Levy" <d_levy@lifeisunfair.net> wrote in message
> Michelle P wrote:
>
>> I have a DSR7000 which was not listed.
>> I am going to contact them....
>
> Don't bother. The product is compatible only with the models listed.
>
> On the bright side, the version 6.2 software upgrade (the rollout of
> which is ongoing) provides a significant speed boost. The "folders"
> feature should be especially beneficial

If this "speed boosted" version 6.2 is the first one with folders, then I
have it, and my Tivo is still disgustingly slow. Tivo cheaped out on the
hardware.
May 13, 2005 12:19:21 AM

"Adam Corolla" <nospam@nospam03550265902.com> wrote in message

> "David Levy" <d_levy@lifeisunfair.net> wrote in message
>> Michelle P wrote:
>>
>>> I have a DSR7000 which was not listed.
>>> I am going to contact them....
>>
>> Don't bother. The product is compatible only with the models listed.
>>
>> On the bright side, the version 6.2 software upgrade (the rollout of
>> which is ongoing) provides a significant speed boost. The "folders"
>> feature should be especially beneficial
>

> If this "speed boosted" version 6.2 is the first one with folders, then I
> have it, and my Tivo is still disgustingly slow. Tivo cheaped out on the
> hardware.

No, folders came with 4.x which was available only on the standalone TiVo
(unless you hacked your DTivo). 6.x is new and will be available on
DirecTivo as well (at least that's what my brief reading on the subject at
dealdatabase led me to believe).
!