rpfeiffah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Alright, so I have a problem that's been boggling my mind for months. My mouse will disconnect and reconnect itself seemingly whenever it wants, but mainly under processor or video load, for example playing a video game or watching a movie, or sometimes even simply loading firefox. It will not, however, disconnect itself if the computer is idle or just playing music, etc...

First off, yes, i've tried other USB ports. same problem.
yes, i've tried multiple other mice that work on other computers. same problem.
yes, i've tried a usb to ps2 adapter...same problem.
yes, i've checked for conflicting irq's. no problems.
yes, i've uninstalled, redownloaded, and reinstalled drivers.
yes, i've checked my root hubs and usb 2.0 in manager, no problems.
i've even went as far as reinstalling XP...worked, then a couple days later..SAME PROBLEM.

other devices work on it, such as a camera or an external hard drive. ITS JUST THE MOUSE and/or ANY MICE THAT I HOOK UP TO MY COMPUTER. if it's a new mouse, and i've tried a new mouse...it works for a couple days then slowly starts the same process as the old mouse did. i've hooked up all the mice used on my computer to other computers and they work perfectly.

this is really boggling my mind, if anybody has ANY answers or explanations, please let me know as i have run out of ideas to correct this problem and i'm getting very frustrated by it.

rpfeiffah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Forgot to mention, it's not a power supply problem. Not only have I replaced my old power supply and got the same problem but this one is 430w, and it's only running an old nvidia geforce 6200, 1 hd and 1 cdrom. there's no way i'm even close to maxing it out yet.

whats your system specs?

if the rig is like an athlon xp or pentium 4 then time for a new one

old hardware is old hardware

download testing tools like prime95 and atitool or furmark and test your system for ~1 hour, and also get something to test your hdd (western digital has a tool for it - www.wdc.com etc)

Jim777

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
There could be a cut in the wire somewhere or it could be that the computer doesn't see it at all.

Also, check your USB ports, adapters and converters to be on the safe side one more time. And make sure your mouse is clean, and the connection works.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Weird to say the least... 2 Things ,,, 1,Have you access to a wireless mouse??,,2,You could reinstall windoze,,right over existing install..Maybe a good registry cleaner might help...:
@ Jim777,Op tried other known good mice,,still...:)

rpfeiffah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Yeah i have access to a wireless mouse and have tried it. doesn't work. i didn't think it would work considering you have to plug the wireless hub into the usb for the mouse to work. i also already tried reinstalling windows.

The_Real_Ali

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Does it do this when you are moving it?
Are you using the front panel USB to connect the mouse???
If yes the connector going to the MotherBoard from the from panel USB is loose . . .
This loose contact is causing the mouse to reset repeatedly.