2TB Caviar Green vs 1TB Caviar Black

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I noticed for abt the same price, I can get 2TB Caviar Green vs 1TB Black. I wonder, how much performance difference is there? Suppose I have more RAM 8GB, but no SSD (perhaps, apps can be cached beforehand by the OS?). I am thinking the will be some power savings, but anything significant?

Solution
Unles you leave your computer on 24/7 I don't think it will save a substantial amount of power. Green drives also spin down more often so performance won't be as good. If you are simply looking for a storage drive, then the green is a good choice. If you plan on putting your OS or programs on this drive, I'd go with the black.
Unles you leave your computer on 24/7 I don't think it will save a substantial amount of power. Green drives also spin down more often so performance won't be as good. If you are simply looking for a storage drive, then the green is a good choice. If you plan on putting your OS or programs on this drive, I'd go with the black.

Solution
^+1

Green drives are excellent for bulk storage as internal or external drives, but their lower performance makes them a poor choice for the OS drive. If you're choosing this as the ONLY drive in your system, then choose a 7200 rpm drive such as the Black.

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
In too late, but absolutely agree if you are planning on using this for your main OS/Program drive you will need the 7200 RPM WD Black.

I had a client who was absolutely insistent on purchasing a green 1TB drive for his computer, because it is "Greener". I tried repeatedly to pursuade him, but he wouldn't change his mind... and so I installed it in his system. 2 Months later I get a call from him saying he is very dissapointed with the performance of his drive. Ended up swapping a 1TB Black drive in, so he ended up paying more, than if he just purchased the black.

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

from another post

I use openSUSE on a slow old HDD, and get really good performance. I doubt Ubuntu would be much different. But for Windows, I'd say the SSD would probably be better, but try to get the Blue rather than Green.

Whats ur take on it? I will be using Ubuntu. On my office PC/Server Ubuntu+OCZ Vertex 3, the performance doesnt seem to live up to expectations ... so I dont want to spend execessively on something that have little returns

I stick by what I said. If you want to save a little money, I'd go with a WD blue before the green, but since you will be using it as a server, the black has a longer warranty. I believe the blacks have a 5 year warranty and the blue has a 3 year warranty.