jazzninja

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
So i am trying to decide how I will be upgrading my CPU. Better yet, I know how, it has just been a while since I've done it and don't really know what I am doing as far as comparability issues. My computer is:

Gateway DX4200-09 1.8GHz Quad-Core 4GB DDR2 640GB SATA HDMI Vista Home Premium

I have upgraded both the PSU and GPU, installed all of the parts in a new case, and my next step is to upgrade the processor. I like the performance from this one already, but need a little bit more power for gaming. Here are my questions:

1. I noticed that there are different wattage on CPU's, does that matter? As long as I get an AM2+ processor will it be compatible?

2. What sort of speed or core value should I consider purchasing to see a big difference?

Any help anyone can give is appreciated thanks.

Solution
Well gateway hasnt updated the BIOS since 8-21-08. I wouldnt expect a pII to work with that BIOS. I agree with lonenija 9650 PI is about your best choice.

Upendra09

Distinguished
what is ur budget?

The 945 will work for you it is AM2+ compatible

no the wattage shouldn't matter

the 945 will show you a great boost over ur old phenom I, they frankly suck. The Phenom II will wreck those old ones.

the 945 will work or if u can afford it the 965 BE is even better, better OCing

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
FAIL again!!

Wattage very much matters. If the board doesnt support higher wattage you can damage the board.

They gateway site makes no mention of your computer working with PIIs. It is possible they will work in your pc, but you will need BIOS support. What motherboard is in it? Run cpuz and report back.

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/DX/DX4200/DX4200sp2.shtml

There is no overclocking on a gateway computer so disregard his comment on 965BE equaling better better overclocking.

loneninja

Distinguished
I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing your limited to 95W Phenom I processors, meaning the 9650 @ 2.3Ghz is the best you'll be able to get. This is just an assumption though since I've yet to see a prebuilt computer with the energy efficient Phenom processors have support for anything better.

We need your exact motherboard model to varify whether what I said is true or not.

jazzninja

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Alright and how much of an improvement would that be? Pretty substantial? Thanks for your help