Recurring Post Issues

jamesinchina

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Recurring Post Issues

I built a computer in China a year ago, real cheap slap-together gig.

Worked good for a while, and then the problems started. Installed a new hard drive, and it wouldn’t post. No idea why, I was grounded and everything. Thought Ishould just get a new mobo and CPU and forget about it. Go to the market to take advantage of the cheap labor, and in seconds they have the system running again. It happened so quick I didn’t even see what happened. I think they cleaned the ram or something. Confused, but relieved, Ijust went with it. This is a key component to surviving in China. 

A week later my hard drives die back to back. I thought it was just the huge amount of bittorrents I had running non stop. Get another HD, install it,then no post. Take it back to the chinese dudes, again, they get it running again in seconds.

After a while I get a new PSU, thinking the cheap one is probably the real issue with these weird problems. Installed it,and bam, no post. Went back to the old one, bam, no post. Went through ever step in the POST guide, still, no post. Cleared the cmos and everything. No speaker to check for post codes, but I know it'snot posting because the monitor says it gets no signal and the keyboard doesn'tlight up. All of this, and my Chinese dudes are off on spring festival vacation for another week.

I will probably try bread boarding it soon.  

Any advice? What could the Chinese dudes possibly have done?

System specs:
ASROCK A780GM-LE
AMD AM2 5000
Huntkey 400WPSU -New
No name 400w PSU -Old
Kingston ram, on the compatibility checklist
Antec solo case
Some random HDs

Solution
James, the breadboarding trick isn't a cure all, rather it is suggested because one the most common "no POST" concerns is due to a short. The brass stand off was just one of the problems causing the mobo not to POST.

Your explanation suggests that the brass stand off that was out of place was the ultimate problem holding you back, but you couldn't see that while the board was in the case.

When you moved the RAM you took care of the immediate problem. RAM also affects the GPU, be it on-board or video card. In short, you had two problems:
1. Bad RAM slot on the motherboard
2. Short to ground from the brass stand off
Now that both problems have been aleviated, your computer now POSTs.

jamesinchina

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
My computer is now up and running but I am very confused as to why.

I did find a brass stand underneath the motherboard that was out of place. However, in the bread boarding process I found it still would not post. While I had it out, I cleared the CMOS and then started to play around with RAM, which I had done many times while it was still in the case. Oddly enough, moving the ram to slot 2 solved the post issue and it started right up.

After installing it into the case again and booting, the first boot resulted in a screen of white flashing lines. I have never seen anything like it. Second boot attempt, however, was successful.

So, the issue solved, but myself still confused on why, my feelings are mixed with relief and frustration. I am just going to pray it never happens again.

Any ideas as to why these strange problems occurred?

James, the breadboarding trick isn't a cure all, rather it is suggested because one the most common "no POST" concerns is due to a short. The brass stand off was just one of the problems causing the mobo not to POST.

Your explanation suggests that the brass stand off that was out of place was the ultimate problem holding you back, but you couldn't see that while the board was in the case.

When you moved the RAM you took care of the immediate problem. RAM also affects the GPU, be it on-board or video card. In short, you had two problems:
1. Bad RAM slot on the motherboard
2. Short to ground from the brass stand off
Now that both problems have been aleviated, your computer now POSTs.

Solution