Computer turns on but doesn't boot after cpu install

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Processors
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 29, 2009 7:23:02 PM

I recently attempted to upgrade my computer with a new processor. After I found out the new processor was not compatible with my motherboard, I removed it, and put the old processor back.

When I turn on the computer, all of the fans will come on, but there is no "Beep" and the bios does not launch.

I am fairly certain that the processor is sitting correctly. The HSF and processor are touching, with a thin layer of thermal grease between them.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this issue.

Intel core2 e6600
EVGA nvidia 680i motherboard

More about : computer turns boot cpu install

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
August 29, 2009 10:17:19 PM

check the power cables are firmly in place in the mb
m
l
Related resources
August 29, 2009 10:22:25 PM

There should be one corner on the mobo that looks like it's missing a pin and the CPU will have a corresponding mark with a little triangle in one corner. If those two are lined up together then you know it is sitting right.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 30, 2009 2:05:36 AM

If you have *any* doubt your cpu is installed correctly, RTFM and compare it to the pictures that Intel sent you, and probably are duplicated in your mobo manual.

After that, clear CMOS and try again.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 5, 2009 7:55:00 PM

Double check to make sure that you have everything plugged in that needs to be plugged in.

I googled for this page and tried to find out what might be wrong. None of these were it.

I had forgetten to plug in the power cable to the graphics card
m
l
!