Ok here is abit of a brain twister..

Confusedracoon

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
so a few years back i bought a verbatim external hard drive. the other month (yeah i only just got around to trying to fix it) i plugged it in to try and see what i had on it. It wasnt recognised by the PC. I took a closer look at the drive, the little blue lights lit up but there were no vibrations or disc spinning noise, so its clear that the disc isnt spinning up and powering up.

I have disassembled the drive and found that its a typical sata device so i bunged it into my pc via sata cables and what not.

again no joy, the pc wont see it and there isnt any poweing up noises/vibrations.

IS there a way that i can recover whats on the disc and or just see whats on there with out sending it off and getting some bloke to do it for £70-£200?

cheers now x

A lot of modern discs are extremely quiet and vibration-free. Are you absolutely sure the drive isn't spinning?

When you attach a brand new drive to a Windows system it won't show up in Windows Explorer - you have to go into Disk Manager to partition and format the drive first:

Click "Start" --> right-click "Computer" and select "Manage".

Click "Disk Management" in the left pane.

Scroll down to the BOTTOM of the MIDDLE pane.

You should see your new disk there with a label such as "Disk 1" or "Disk 2", etc. Right-click on the label in order to create a new volume (which partitions the drive) and then again to format it.

Once it's formatted Windows will assign the next available drive letter to it and then it will appear in Windows Explorer.

Confusedracoon

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
yeah i forgot about that...but the other problem is...i would like to get at the stuff thats on it.... =/

The drives been named "the shed" on my system from when it was working as a usb device.

il try again and see what i can do

cheers now

Confusedracoon

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
power data recovery isnt seeing it either.

i think the problem is there isnt any power getting to the disk at all, or the read/write needle thingy :(

Confusedracoon

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010

right well thats not listing it either so i think the drives really dead. il search the interwebs some more see if i can find a physical repair guide or something, ive fixed hard drives and gpus before it cant be that hard ...... -touches wood-