Sign in with
Your question

Watercooling core i7 GTX 580 tri SLI rig

Last response: in Overclocking
November 6, 2011 12:08:52 AM

Hi everyone,

As the title says I am looking to watercool my rig. My rigs main components are:

Core i7 930 @ 4.0 ghz
Corsair Obsidian 800d Case
ASUS P6X58D-E Mobo
EVGA GTX 580 x 3 in tri sli

I have decided that I want to get the hydro copper blocks from EVGA.

What I want to know is what water cooling loop would suffice for this rig (radiators, pumps, kits etc). I do not intend to overclock the 580's very much. All I am looking for is a kit/loop that will give me pretty good temps (not necissarely the best) but above all be quiet.

I have also considered just running my cpu on air and running the 580's off of this kit alone.

I have taken a look at the XSPC RX360 kit and others. My main concern is whether the 360 rad would be enough for this rig or not.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated. I am completely new to water cooling so I need all the advice I can get.

Thanks
November 6, 2011 1:10:28 AM

Or if you want to watercool your CPU anyway, put a 120/140mm rad on the back.
m
l
November 6, 2011 1:17:18 AM

SushiDragon said:

Yeah that is definitely an option. Would be a great way to get just a little bit more radiator to keep everything cool.
m
l
Related resources
November 6, 2011 1:18:38 AM

SushiDragon said:

Well he said he didn't want an external rad, and a 120 would be really pushing it for an I7, however if I were going to do that I would use this 240, which is a cool looking all copper rad and it would give him a res too.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14204/ex-rad-289/Magi...
m
l
November 6, 2011 1:25:22 AM

Homeboy2 said:
Well he said he didn't want an external rad, and a 120 would be really pushing it for an I7, however if I were going to do that I would use this 240, which is a cool looking all copper rad and it would give him a res too.

Well I was thinking of using this kit:

http://dazmode.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_in...

with this 240 rad:

I am trying to keep everything black. Do you think this setup would work well?
m
l
November 6, 2011 1:25:23 AM

RX Series Radiators give very good performance ratios. Maybe stick a few of those in the case. That SHOULD support all of his components.
m
l
November 6, 2011 1:43:44 AM

The 360 will fit perfectly in the Obsidian.
EK waterblocks are pretty good, have you looked at aquacomputer's waterblocks? They perform quite well.

(Donate a GTX 580 to me?)
m
l
November 6, 2011 1:46:15 AM

jonathann1818 said:
Hi everyone,

As the title says I am looking to watercool my rig. My rigs main components are:

Core i7 930 @ 4.0 ghz
Corsair Obsidian 800d Case
ASUS P6X58D-E Mobo
EVGA GTX 580 x 3 in tri sli

I have decided that I want to get the hydro copper blocks from EVGA.

What I want to know is what water cooling loop would suffice for this rig (radiators, pumps, kits etc). I do not intend to overclock the 580's very much. All I am looking for is a kit/loop that will give me pretty good temps (not necissarely the best) but above all be quiet.

I have also considered just running my cpu on air and running the 580's off of this kit alone.

I have taken a look at the XSPC RX360 kit and others. My main concern is whether the 360 rad would be enough for this rig or not.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated. I am completely new to water cooling so I need all the advice I can get.

Thanks

No, a single 360 won't be able to handle 3 580's and an I7. Would you consider external rads or do you want everything to fit in your case?
m
l
November 6, 2011 1:50:01 AM

SushiDragon said:
The 360 will fit perfectly in the Obsidian.
EK waterblocks are pretty good, have you looked at aquacomputer's waterblocks? They perform quite well.

(Donate a GTX 580 to me?)

Well i appreciate the suggestion. I have heard that EK waterblocks are good but I just love the look of the evga version and that they cool the entire card (kinda an evga fanboy i know). So my mind is already made up on that.

m
l
November 6, 2011 1:53:51 AM

Homeboy2 said:
No, a single 360 won't be able to handle 3 580's and an I7. Would you consider external rads or do you want everything to fit in your case?

Thanks for the reply.

Well I want everything to fit internally. That is the main reason I got the 800d case. I just hate the look of external radiators.

Do you think that a 360 rad like the rx360 in the top and an rx120 in the back would be enough? They would all be internal.

I have also seen a mod where there is a 240 rad mounted inside on the bottom of the 800d. Do you think that a 360 + 240 would be enough?
m
l
November 6, 2011 1:59:05 AM

jonathann1818 said:
Thanks for the reply.

Well I want everything to fit internally. That is the main reason I got the 800d case. I just hate the look of external radiators.

Do you think that a 360 rad like the rx360 in the top and an rx120 in the back would be enough? They would all be internal.

I have also seen a mod where there is a 240 rad mounted inside on the bottom of the 800d. Do you think that a 360 + 240 would be enough?

The 360+ 240 would be enough for the 580's. If I were you, I would put a Silver Arrow on the Cpu, and watercool the 580's with the 360 + 240.
m
l
November 6, 2011 5:15:13 PM

Homeboy2 said:

I just took a look inside my case and I think it might take a little more work than I want it to to make the 240 rad fit in the bottom. If I removed the CPU from the loop and just cooled the graphics cards, do you think that RX360 would be enough to cool just the GPUs? Along as it will be quieter than running them on air and be reasonably cool, I will be happy. I already have a cpu cooler that I am happy with and its really the GPUs that I want to water cool.
m
l
November 6, 2011 5:23:39 PM

jonathann1818 said:
I just took a look inside my case and I think it might take a little more work than I want it to to make the 240 rad fit in the bottom. If I removed the CPU from the loop and just cooled the graphics cards, do you think that RX360 would be enough to cool just the GPUs? Along as it will be quieter than running them on air and be reasonably cool, I will be happy. I already have a cpu cooler that I am happy with and its really the GPUs that I want to water cool.

Should work as long as you aren't expecting really low temps.
m
l
November 6, 2011 5:27:10 PM

Homeboy2 said:
Should work as long as you aren't expecting really low temps.

Good to know. Do you think that it could be reasonably quiet? I dont care so much if the temps arent ideal.
m
l
November 6, 2011 6:36:55 PM

jonathann1818 said:
Good to know. Do you think that it could be reasonably quiet? I dont care so much if the temps arent ideal.

as long as you have quiet low rpm fans
m
l
November 6, 2011 6:39:18 PM

Homeboy2 said:
as long as you have quiet low rpm fans

Cool. Thanks for your help. Ill get the RX360 kit and the EVGA Blocks.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 2:11:33 AM

GTX 580's put out around 244 watts @ 100% load. You are going to run 3...that's 732 watts. The RX360 really only handles about 575 watts or so with 2000 rpm fans.

Where is the other 157 watts going to go? You may likely see better temps than air cooling, but your delta is going to suffer (possibly a great deal) by running more watts into your loop than it has the ability to dissipate out.
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:16:45 AM

rubix_1011 said:
GTX 580's put out around 244 watts @ 100% load. You are going to run 3...that's 732 watts. The RX360 really only handles about 575 watts or so with 2000 rpm fans.

Where is the other 157 watts going to go? You may likely see better temps than air cooling, but your delta is going to suffer (possibly a great deal) by running more watts into your loop than it has the ability to dissipate out.

Well i know that running more watts than capacity is not good. Having said that, what would you suggest? Keep in mind i dont want any external rads or do any modding to my case.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 2:20:25 AM

Do you have room for a 140mm or a 200mm? Most of those larger cases do, and either would be a great addition. A 200mm rad is almost the same size as a normal thickness 360 rad.
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:23:24 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Do you have room for a 140mm or a 200mm? Most of those larger cases do, and either would be a great addition. A 200mm rad is almost the same size as a normal thickness 360 rad.

Sorry for the noob question but do you mean the thickness of the radiator?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 2:25:09 AM

I mean total surface area. Most 200mm rads are 'thin', and their dimensions work out to around similar volume as a 360 slim rad. WxLxH
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:28:55 AM

rubix_1011 said:
I mean total surface area. Most 200mm rads are 'thin', and their dimensions work out to around similar volume as a 360 slim rad. WxLxH

Well there isnt really much more room. I have heard of a mod in the bottom of the 800d case but that is not something i want to do. I would have room for an rx120 rad at the back in place of the pre-installed case fan.
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:30:28 AM

rubix_1011 said:

Also keep in mind that I am not looking for really low temps. All that I want is something that will be reasonlby cooler than air (10 degress or so), but much quieter than air cooling.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 2:30:57 AM

Isn't there a bin or extra HDD rack that can be removed? I know a LOT of people put in 240's down there...without much effort other than making the room.
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:33:01 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Isn't there a bin or extra HDD rack that can be removed? I know a LOT of people put in 240's down there...without much effort other than making the room.

Well that invloves removing the rivets (not screws) and cutting a hole in the bootom for air flow. I understand that a 240 would really help but i just dont have the tools or the interest in doing that.
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:41:41 AM

Trust me there is not enough vent for a 240 rad. I would definitely have to cut into the case to fit the 240 rad down there. I have looked into this thoroughly and it is a mod that would require more work than you think.

Anyways, what would you suggest? Do you think a rx360 and rx120 would be enough for a loop dedicated to 3 580s.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 2:49:54 AM

Likely so. If you ran some fans 1800-2000rpm or so, you could run your CPU in there, but I wouldn't push any overclocking on the cards or CPU, though.

With your CPU, this would still put you a little over, similar as you were before. However- one of the biggest things to consider is, you very rarely run your GPUs and CPU at 100% load sustained for any period of time, unless you are benching it hardcore, or run something like BOINC or Folding. Outside of those, you could likely 'get by' on a single loop of an RX360 and RX120 with great fans in your rig. I just wouldn't push OC's, like I mentioned.

It isn't ideal, as your delta is going to suffer, but it's an option.
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:55:50 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Likely so. If you ran some fans 1800-2000rpm or so, you could run your CPU in there, but I wouldn't push any overclocking on the cards or CPU, though.

With your CPU, this would still put you a little over, similar as you were before. However- one of the biggest things to consider is, you very rarely run your GPUs and CPU at 100% load sustained for any period of time, unless you are benching it hardcore, or run something like BOINC or Folding. Outside of those, you could likely 'get by' on a single loop of an RX360 and RX120 with great fans in your rig. I just wouldn't push OC's, like I mentioned.

It isn't ideal, as your delta is going to suffer, but it's an option.

Well I dont do any benching, just gaming. I also dont plan to do any overclocking becuase I honestly dont think I will see a performance improvment in the 'smoothness' my games. In fact I dont hink there are many cases where my CPU is fully stressed either. I still want to run @ 4ghz to remove the bottleneck though. As said before, making my rig quiet is the priority.

So basically which option would be best?

RX120 + RX360 for CPU and GPUs

RX360 for just GPUs
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 3:02:39 AM

I'd use both rads regardless if you run the CPU in the loop or not.

To be perfectly honest, I think tri SLI with those cards is massively overkill. 2x SLI would work just fine...I'd have to look, but there are a few tests that show a sharp decline in expected performance after 2 cards, and even more after 3. (I actually think one was a Tom's article)
m
l
November 7, 2011 3:04:59 AM

rubix_1011 said:

k cool. What fans do you think would be good?

I have some S-Flex G 1900 rpm fans laying around. Do you think that the gentle typhoon 1850 rpm fans would be any better in terms of cooling performance/noise?
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 3:07:20 AM

AP-15's are simply good for the price, the amount of air they move and how quiet they are. There are fans with better static pressure, but they are more noisy. If you have some decent speed fans to start with, try them out and see how you like them. No need to buy fans if you don't really need to.
m
l
November 7, 2011 3:12:06 AM

rubix_1011 said:

To be perfectly honest, I think tri SLI with those cards is massively overkill. 2x SLI would work just fine...I'd have to look, but there are a few tests that show a sharp decline in expected performance after 2 cards, and even more after 3. (I actually think one was a Tom's article)

Well I know 3 way sli is a lot of rendering power but I use a dell 2560x1600 monitor and I like to run everything maxed out. I play metro 2033 a lot, BF3, Crysis 2 etc and I do notice a significant improvement with the 3rd card, both in benchmark frame rate and in the 'smoothness' of the games. I also dont build rigs very often so I really wanted something powerful now that will last me a long time.

Now as for the decline in framerate, that is only true at 1920x1200/1080 and below. @ 2560x1600 on the games that I play, the difference is significant.

http://www.behardware.com/art/imprimer/829/
m
l
November 7, 2011 3:29:57 AM

Anyways, I appreciate your input. I will have to think carefully if this will work out the way I intend. I should probably do some power consumption benchmarks measured @ the wall and then account for efficiency of the psu to measure the actual DC power consumption of the computer. Then I will know just how much power the rads will likely have to dissipate.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 5:17:05 AM

3 GTX 580s generate a LOT of heat, like they said earlier around 730 watts. A single 360 rad would need to have fans that spin at approx 3000 rpm to dissipate that much heat:

http://skinneelabs.com/2011-2012-radiator-comparison/3/

If you look at the 4th graph you see a comparison of some different 360 rads from Skinnee Labs. Mind you this is to keep it a delta 10C, meaning 10C above ambient. I don't know how to do the math to calculate the heat dissipation with higher delta temps. Needless to say you'll have very little if any temp savings by switching to liquid cooling, plus with fans on the rads running that high you'll probably hear very little difference either I'd imagine.

To dissipate the heat of the GPUs alone you'd need what I'd guess is a bare minimum for 480mm of rad. For example I have 2 360 rads to dissipate the heat of 2 580s, and that keeps it super cool, around 19-23 idle.

You said you don't want it to be super cool, but you're adding a third card with only half the radiator surface area I have. If it was up to me I'd get at least a 480 or preferably 2 360s for your setup.
m
l
November 7, 2011 5:24:57 AM

scopey86 said:
3 GTX 580s generate a LOT of heat, like they said earlier around 730 watts. A single 360 rad would need to have fans that spin at approx 3000 rpm to dissipate that much heat:

http://skinneelabs.com/2011-2012-radiator-comparison/3/

If you look at the 4th graph you see a comparison of some different 360 rads from Skinnee Labs. Mind you this is to keep it a delta 10C, meaning 10C above ambient. I don't know how to do the math to calculate the heat dissipation with higher delta temps. Needless to say you'll have very little if any temp savings by switching to liquid cooling, plus with fans on the rads running that high you'll probably hear very little difference either I'd imagine.

To dissipate the heat of the GPUs alone you'd need what I'd guess is a bare minimum for 480mm of rad. For example I have 2 360 rads to dissipate the heat of 2 580s, and that keeps it super cool, around 19-23 idle.

You said you don't want it to be super cool, but you're adding a third card with only half the radiator surface area I have. If it was up to me I'd get at least a 480 or preferably 2 360s for your setup.

Thanks for the reply.

What I am thinking of doing now is running an rx360 in the top and an rx120 in the back, all internal. They would be cooling the cpu and gpus.

I took a look as some power consumption figures and a system like mine pulls ~950 W from the wall while gaming (not always 100% load). Subtract 50 w for chipset and other drives and such and its 900W from the wall. Multiply by 0.9 for efficiency of conversion from ac to dc and thats 810 W.

According to this review on the rx360, it can disspate 600W @ 1500 rpm with s-flex fans, which i have and are reasonably quiet.

So given that, an rx360 + rx120 should be enough (although not ideal).

So in all do you think that this setup would work ok? Remeber, im not interested in super cool temps, but quiet operation.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 5:29:57 AM

Like I said a minimum 480mm of rad should be good. So I'm guessing that if you have the 360 and 120 it should work ok, albeit warm and high delta. I'd do research for now to find a high CFM fan that's relatively quiet to keep those rads cool.
m
l
November 7, 2011 5:38:23 AM

scopey86 said:
Like I said a minimum 480mm of rad should be good. So I'm guessing that if you have the 360 and 120 it should work ok, albeit warm and high delta. I'd do research for now to find a high CFM fan that's relatively quiet to keep those rads cool.

Well in this review:

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=986&page=6

they were using the S-Flex fans from scythe to get the deltas and heat dissipation shown. And at 10C delta.

I already have these fans from a previous build so i think im gonna try them.

Now as for the minimum. Yeah I agree I wish I could put more radiator in there but the modding required is just not something i want to do.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 6:10:15 AM

Which Sflex fans do you have? The top sflex runs at 1900 rpms. Honestly I'm not very well versed in fans, but just a quick check on newegg and these coolermaster fans look pretty good:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2000 rpms, 70 cfm, and 19db is pretty good. But again I'm not too well versed with fans.
m
l
November 7, 2011 6:21:04 AM

scopey86 said:
Which Sflex fans do you have? The top sflex runs at 1900 rpms. Honestly I'm not very well versed in fans, but just a quick check on newegg and these coolermaster fans look pretty good:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2000 rpms, 70 cfm, and 19db is pretty good. But again I'm not too well versed with fans.

I have the S-Flex G fans (1900 rpm). By the way, dont use those cooler master fans. The make so much noise becuase they vibrate a lot.
m
l
November 7, 2011 6:36:29 AM

scopey86 said:

One other question.

I was considering getting the RX360 Rasa cooling kit from XSPC and then adding in the RX120 rad for the back. Do you think think that the pump that is included in this kit will be strong enough to pump water through all of these components?

m
l
November 7, 2011 6:38:29 AM

Quote:
XSPC kits of of high quality from what i have seen and alot of enthusiasts use this kit.

so you think it will work fine in a single loop?
m
l
November 7, 2011 6:41:49 AM

Quote:
Yes i have seen alot of people doing single loops fine off one of these with a single GTX 590

And what do you think would be a good temperature delta? I dont really care to get it really cool but defintely cool enough so i can run the fans pretty quietly. Would a 20C temp delta be ok?
m
l
November 7, 2011 7:08:26 AM

Quote:
I am glad to have helped you a bit in this area as i am new to watercooling myself.
But i read up alot and use my knowledge to it's best when i can ofc. ;) 

Yea man I really appreciate it. I just want to look at all of my options and plan everything out so that it works and looks exactly the way I want it to. I cant wait to have the evga hydro copper blocks with black tubing in my loop. Its gonna look sweet. Its basically gonna be a black theme with subtle led lighting.
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:38:36 PM

jonathann1818 said:
That actually looks pretty sweet. Doesnt look that silly actually and would do a really good job!!

I ordered that rad, should be here today.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 3:52:31 PM

If you are going to run 3 GPU blocks, a CPU block and 2 rads, you really should consider a better pump than comes in the Rasa kits.
m
l
November 7, 2011 4:30:42 PM

rubix_1011 said:
If you are going to run 3 GPU blocks, a CPU block and 2 rads, you really should consider a better pump than comes in the Rasa kits.

What's wrong with the pump that is included? I really dont want to get into separate loops or pumps really.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 4:41:23 PM

It's not as powerful as other pumps. It's intended to really only push through 1-2 blocks in a loop. Radiators are very low restriction; CPU blocks the most, and then GPU blocks. RAM, HDD and other specialty blocks are often as restrictive as CPU blocks, and in some cases, more restrictive.

You can get pump/res combos similar to the Rasa's but with better pumps...XSPC makes res's that you can have Swiftech pumps mounted into them, but are a little more costly.

This one comes with the D5/MCP655 installed:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13884/ex-res-300/XSPC_Dual_525_Bay_Reservoir_-_w_Alphacool_VPP655_Variable_Speed_Pump_Installed.html?tl=g30c107s152

This one would need a DDC/MCP350/MCP355/MCP35x installed:
http://jab-tech.com/XSPC-Acrylic-Dual-5.25-Reservoir-for-Laing-DDC-BayRes-One-pr-4549.html
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 7, 2011 4:43:00 PM

It would appear so... :) 
m
l
!