Sign in with
Your question

AMD Turion II Ultra dual-core processor M600 (game)?

Last response: in CPUs

yep or nope!

Total: 12 votes (4 blank votes)

• yes it should be fine.
  • 88 %
  • no, what the hell are you thinking.
  • 13 %
November 21, 2009 2:51:20 AM

hi,

im just wondering if this set up would be able to play any games at all? i see the GPU benchmarks fine for games but i dont know if it would play games even with this AMD.

link to specs.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

link to some of the GPU benchmarks.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD...

thanks in advance for the insights!
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2009 2:53:24 AM

yes it should play most games at reasonable resolutions.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2009 3:01:42 AM

That Best Buy system is faster in CPU, but quite a bit slower in graphics. The HP will be much better for gaming.
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2009 3:01:48 AM

If the prices are close I would definitely take the Sony, but I am not a big gamer.
November 21, 2009 3:02:51 AM

It's more than enough for laptops, as the resolution rarely exceeds 1900*1200. The CPU will push it, but I would recommend a very good GPU. ATI 38xx+ or GF 86xx+.
Probably if you have a higher res (1080p+) you would want 88xx+ or 98xx+.
November 21, 2009 3:04:21 AM

the sony is 70 bucks cheaper, tho it has a 14.1" screen and 500gb 5400rpm hdd instead of 640gb 7200rpm hdd

and a lesser graphics card, on note book check it rates as a higher end class 3 wheres the one in the HP rates as a higher end class 2 and has 1gb dedicated instead of 512.
November 21, 2009 3:05:23 AM

sabot00 said:
It's more than enough for laptops, as the resolution rarely exceeds 1900*1200. The CPU will push it, but I would recommend a very good GPU. ATI 38xx+ or GF 86xx+.
Probably if you have a higher res (1080p+) you would want 88xx+ or 98xx+.

the screen is 17.3" 720p not 1080p.. =/
November 21, 2009 3:09:14 AM

At 720p a ATI 38XX or higher, GF 86XX+ should play most games fine.

Keep in mind that laptops are rarely benchmarked & tested because of the inherent design.
November 21, 2009 3:11:37 AM

sabot00 said:
At 720p a ATI 38XX or higher, GF 86XX+ should play most games fine.

Keep in mind that laptops are rarely benchmarked & tested because of the inherent design.

well im just looking for a laptop under $1000 that can play blu-ray and play a good selection of games, if you know of any that are better than this, that would be awesome... i just cant find any better lol.
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2009 3:20:21 AM

if thats what you are looking for the HP should be fine.
November 21, 2009 3:45:12 AM

BadTrip said:
if thats what you are looking for the HP should be fine.

plus im more of a rpg gamer, not really in to FPS games.

but ye, if anyone can find a laptop for me that plays games and blu-rays for under 1k, please tell me about it.
November 22, 2009 2:44:15 AM

so i went to the store today and had a guy log in to the hp laptop so i could see its WIN EXP and device info and such..

the lowest score was the CPU which is a 5.9, which is pretty darn good.

•Processor Calculations per second = 5.9

• Memory Operations per second = 7.1

• Graphics Desktop performance for Windows Aero graphics = 6.6

• Gaming graphics 3D graphics performance. Useful for gaming and 3D business applications = 6.6/7.1 (cant remember if this was 6.6 or 7.1)

• Primary hard disk The data transfer rate of the primary hard disk = 5.9 (it has dual 320gb hdd's @7200rpm)

i seriously cant find a better laptop for its price! its under 900 bucks and has a 17.3" wide screen and blu-ray too.

December 1, 2009 6:19:31 PM

Just for grins go to (of all places) Walmart and look at their HP dv7 3079. HP makes it only for Walmart. I ordered one last night. I looked at everything Best Buy had. There was always one or two items missing there. I'm not a gamer, but wanted a laptop to d/l my HD video via firewire and have the numbers to handle it. The HP 3079 "should" fit.

AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core M600 (would rather have Intel)
2 MB L2 Cache
4096 MB DDR2 Memory (DDR3 would have been nice)
8192 MB Max
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (M96)
Up to 2815 MB Video (1024 MB dedicated) (I like this)
640 gig HD (7200 RPM) (most had 5400 RPM)
LightScribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD (most had one or the other, not both)
17.3" HD LED 1600 x 900
56k modem
Ethernet
802.1a/b/g/n WLAN
Wireless
Altec Lansing with SRS Premium Sound and Sub-Woofer (not the best)
5-n-1 card reader Sony only has Memory card and SD. I needed XD)
4 USB
2 headphone out (nice for two of us watching a Bluray vid on a plane)
1 mic in
HDMI out ( nice to connect to the wide screen in the hotel and watch my HD home vids)
eSATA + USB 2.0 (great for an external HDD)
1 IEEE 1394 Firewire ( a must for HD input from HD camcorder)
Plus more....

All for $898. I researched and could not find another laptop for close to that price. It all looks good on paper, bu will half to see how it works in real life.
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2009 1:34:06 AM

The 1GB dedicated doesn't matter with a card as slow as a 4650 honestly. Do you know the VRAM speed? That's more important than quantity with a slower card. As for the M600, that's a fairly nice processor. It's quite competitive with some of the intel CPUs. That does seem like an excellent deal overall.

I'm kind of curious about the 7200RPM 640GB though, since as far as I know, the largest laptop drive in existence that has a 7200rpm spindle speed is a 500 GB.
December 2, 2009 9:31:52 AM

cjl said:
The 1GB dedicated doesn't matter with a card as slow as a 4650 honestly. Do you know the VRAM speed? That's more important than quantity with a slower card. As for the M600, that's a fairly nice processor. It's quite competitive with some of the intel CPUs. That does seem like an excellent deal overall.

I'm kind of curious about the 7200RPM 640GB though, since as far as I know, the largest laptop drive in existence that has a 7200rpm spindle speed is a 500 GB.

it has dual 320gb 7200rpm hdd's

so far i am loving dragonage on the laptop, it runs with max resalution and all maxed out settings flawlessly, not a singly bit og lag in game play, same for bioshock too.

December 15, 2009 2:55:43 PM

Drazhar said:
it has dual 320gb 7200rpm hdd's

so far i am loving dragonage on the laptop, it runs with max resalution and all maxed out settings flawlessly, not a singly bit og lag in game play, same for bioshock too.

Hay i have the same laptop hp dv7- 3079wm . I played Cod MW2 on it and the laptop gets very hot. goes up to 80C .
Are you getting any temperature problems with your laptop ?
If not kindly tell me so i can get mine replaced.
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2009 4:26:35 PM

80C is fine for a laptop - as long as it's still running fine, and not artifacting or thermally throttling, I wouldn't worry.
December 15, 2009 6:45:00 PM

cjl said:
80C is fine for a laptop - as long as it's still running fine, and not artifacting or thermally throttling, I wouldn't worry.

I feel alot better now knowing that my laptop dont have any issue if its 80C while playing games. But it would help alot if someone with same laptop like Mr Drazhar will comment on his laptop temperature while playing games.

he issue i had was that the laptop started freezing when it got hot. I reset it to factory setting and after that im not having the freezing(stuck) problem even at 84C.
I installed some drivers earlier when i was having the problem. I suppose the drivers were the problem for system freeze . right ?
a b à CPUs
December 15, 2009 7:56:16 PM

that is quite possible.
December 27, 2009 11:39:30 AM

ye mine gets well hot too... im thinking of getting a cooler for it.

how does MW2 run on it? i have been thru dragon age nearly twice now and no problems so far, no crashes but yes very hot.
December 27, 2009 12:45:38 PM

MW2 runs great (even on full setting). after reseting it to factory setting i am not getting any crashes or freezes , the only problem im having now is the heating prob. I guess a cooler would be the only solution...
December 28, 2009 9:48:36 AM

that's great news about MW2, ill have to get a copy of it.

just so you know, using other AV software like Comodo or something will stop certain features working... like Blu-rays for instance.. man i was going off my rocker wondering why i couldn't play blu-rays and i was even on the phone for around 14 hours spread over 2 days to HP techs trying to figure out why the blu-rays didn't work after i did updates and stuff..

they couldn't figure it out, nor could i.. then i figured maybe ill try see if its the AV software.. BINGO! so i have to use disgusting Norton right now..

and ye i would recommend a cooler, im getting one for sure. (mine blows out air that's so hot that it makes my desk to hot to touch!) and that's with the fact these Laptops actually have very good ground clearance..
December 29, 2009 1:13:20 AM

I also have this computer best deal for under 1000 dollars, im able to run FSX at ultra high settings with no lag although i did try GTA IV man you really do need a quad core for that game but i ran it at high settings with about 20fps and medium at about 25fps not bad for a laptop overall im very happy.
March 20, 2010 6:39:05 PM

Drazhar said:
hi,

im just wondering if this set up would be able to play any games at all? i see the GPU benchmarks fine for games but i dont know if it would play games even with this AMD.

link to specs.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

link to some of the GPU benchmarks.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD...

thanks in advance for the insights!

I have this same laptop and I play Star Wars the Force Unleashed the Ultimate Sith Edition and the game plays just perfectly no lockups or problems, graphics are amazing for this laptop at this price!!!
April 14, 2013 4:33:22 PM

GregS45 said:
Just for grins go to (of all places) Walmart and look at their HP dv7 3079. HP makes it only for Walmart. I ordered one last night. I looked at everything Best Buy had. There was always one or two items missing there. I'm not a gamer, but wanted a laptop to d/l my HD video via firewire and have the numbers to handle it. The HP 3079 "should" fit.

AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core M600 (would rather have Intel)
2 MB L2 Cache
4096 MB DDR2 Memory (DDR3 would have been nice)
8192 MB Max
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (M96)
Up to 2815 MB Video (1024 MB dedicated) (I like this)
640 gig HD (7200 RPM) (most had 5400 RPM)
LightScribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD (most had one or the other, not both)
17.3" HD LED 1600 x 900
56k modem
Ethernet
802.1a/b/g/n WLAN
Wireless
Altec Lansing with SRS Premium Sound and Sub-Woofer (not the best)
5-n-1 card reader Sony only has Memory card and SD. I needed XD)
4 USB
2 headphone out (nice for two of us watching a Bluray vid on a plane)
1 mic in
HDMI out ( nice to connect to the wide screen in the hotel and watch my HD home vids)
eSATA + USB 2.0 (great for an external HDD)
1 IEEE 1394 Firewire ( a must for HD input from HD camcorder)
Plus more....

All for $898. I researched and could not find another laptop for close to that price. It all looks good on paper, bu will half to see how it works in real life.

This post is very very old but wow i spent 3 weeks scanning forums for overheating = dragon age ultimate edition on THIS EXACT laptop...

I played starcraft 2 and a few other games for months after buying this laptop used...no problems then BLAM! the laptop just starts freezing mid-game requiring a forced restart.

I researched and researched leading me to cleaning out the dust in the exhaust port and intake around the heatsink fan...i even got explicit youtube instructions on re-applying thermal paste and did so.

now the laptop will only play with a very large fan under it...games that is...i got coretemp, reinstalled windows, rolled back drivers, checked bios, did cpu stress testing, re-seated heatsink, and so monitering the temp the laptop goes up and up while playing ONLY DAO until it gets to about 69C and laptop locks up...

WARNING: If you have the overheating issue it WILL cause your hard drive to be fried from all the forced restarts....i had to replace mine.

So...i've opened it up twice and cleaned/reapplied thermal paste and it still overheats.

Could it be the heatsink is not seated tight enough? or is damage to the heatsink causing this perma-overheat issue now?

REMINDER: It was playing fine for three months when i got it...but the blu-ray drive didn't work for some reason (only read music cd's-wierd)

I read in the forum a few posts prior to his something about software helping solve this issue!? Any suggestions?
April 14, 2013 4:38:55 PM

maks87 said:
cjl said:

I feel alot better now knowing that my laptop dont have any issue if its 80C while playing games. But it would help alot if someone with same laptop like Mr Drazhar will comment on his laptop temperature while playing games.

he issue i had was that the laptop started freezing when it got hot. I reset it to factory setting and after that im not having the freezing(stuck) problem even at 84C.
I installed some drivers earlier when i was having the problem. I suppose the drivers were the problem for system freeze . right ?

when your laptop was overheating to 80C+ and you said it was drivers as the issue; then you reset it to factory setting?

please explain...i have coretemp monitoring my cpu temp at all times and i have it shut down the computer at 70C to prevent damage...the computer locks up anywhere from 59C+ sometimes and sometimes it lets it get to 69C+

what drivers might i edit/rollback/reinstall or "factory settings" do i modify to address this overheating issue?
!