Sign in with
Your question

Best configuration for a SSD + 2 HDDs?

Last response: in Storage
June 21, 2011 11:08:26 PM

Alright, so I recently built a picture/video editing desktop and I'm wondering whats best way to setup my storage. I have an Intel 510 series 120gb SSD for the OS + all my Adobe apps, etc. I also have the F3 for primary storage, and a Hitachi 2TB SATA3 for backup/storage. The projects I'm going to be working on are worth a lot of money, and I definitely need a reliable setup. So what seems like the best option here? From what I understand about RAID 1, that seems like maybe its overkill. I'd be willing to buy some good backup software if necessary. I don't mind scheduling regular backups and whatnot, but not really sure if thats the way to go. Opinions?

More about : configuration ssd hdds

a c 143 G Storage
June 21, 2011 11:19:34 PM

I would recommend going with a RAID 1 setup with regular backups on your part. This provides you maximum redundancy for your vital data.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
June 22, 2011 1:33:51 AM

Hello,

If you are using Win-7, you can use the built in BackUp and Restore. It initially takes an image of your C drive, then makes incremental backups of changed files. By default it's scheduled for weekly but you can set it to do backups daily if you want. You can store it on a separate drive, and because it's done in regular zip files, you can retrieve individual files if you want. You can also save a complete image any time you want.

Or you could purchase Acronis True Image 2011, (or similar) which essentially does the same, except it is more flexible, permitting you to backup anything from a single file to the whole disk, stored out on a separate drive. You can also retrieve single files from the TIB files it saves.
Could also save your important data on a DVD off location should something devastating happen.

Other consideration would be to use one of the 'Cloud' backup services for your important work files, like Carbonite, $59/yr, which essentially is making online backups as you work. There it is off your main computer, and off site. Their price may vary depending on how much space you use, but worth looking into.
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2011 2:58:39 AM

tecmo34 said:
I would recommend going with a RAID 1 setup with regular backups on your part. This provides you maximum redundancy for your vital data.

Yeah I know thats probably the absolute best as far as redundancy, only concern is that if one OS gets corrupted, both do. I'm only using this for editing pics/vids, its not a server or anything. Thats why I thought if I could just schedule an automatic backup every couple days maybe that'd work? I'm open to advice though. I'd like a balance of speed and reliability. I've tried to do more research on RAID 1 and it seems like because it has to write to 2 drives, your speed is a bit decreased and if something is corrupted on one drive, its corrupted on both. Since I'm really only worried about backing up media projects, not really the OS or anything, then would RAID 1 really be necessary? Thanks for you advice!
m
l
June 22, 2011 6:21:10 AM

Oh, one more thing. Is this the right way to set the drives up in the BIOS (assuming I'm not doing RAID yet)?

Marvell SATA Operation Mode - AHCI
-Marvell SATA3 Bootable - No

SATA Mode - AHCI Mode
SATA Aggressive Link Power Management - Enable
Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. - Disabled
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
June 22, 2011 3:43:05 PM

Is this the right way to set the drives up in the BIOS (assuming I'm not doing RAID yet)?

Marvell SATA Operation Mode - AHCI
-Marvell SATA3 Bootable - No

SATA Mode - AHCI Mode
SATA Aggressive Link Power Management - Enable
Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. - Disabled

Didn't mention what MB you are using, but the most stable way is to set your primary HDD on one of the PCH/Southbridge SATA ports rather than a secondary controller. Can be either SATA II or SATA III. The AHCI is fine.
Then if you want to run RAID-1, use the Marvel secondary controller.

Turning on the S.M.A.R.T is smart because many of the hard drive monitoring applets can alert you if there is a problem with one of your hard drives going south.
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
June 22, 2011 4:02:04 PM

^+1...

I would only enable boot from Marvell SATA3, if you are running a SATA3 drive, as your primary drive and your other controllers are only SATA2.
m
l
June 23, 2011 6:13:12 AM

tecmo34 said:
^+1...

I would only enable boot from Marvell SATA3, if you are running a SATA3 drive, as your primary drive and your other controllers are only SATA2.

Okay so I'll enable SMART. For Marvell I guess I don't need it because I'm running:

Intel 510 Series 120GB SSD (Primary)
Samsung F3 (Secondary)
Hitachi SATA3 (Storage)
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
June 23, 2011 2:47:56 PM

SirSavage said:
Okay so I'll enable SMART. For Marvell I guess I don't need it because I'm running:

Intel 510 Series 120GB SSD (Primary)
Samsung F3 (Secondary)
Hitachi SATA3 (Storage)

When you enable 'SMART' in the BIOS, it's not on a drive by drive basis. It permits the BIOS or MB or 3rd party applet to see disk parameters, some of which may help predict problems, like spin up time for HDD, or temperature for HDD or SSD.
As Martha Stewart would say 'It's a good thing'!
m
l
!