Auraomega

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Hi there,

I'm currently sporting a crappy of-the-shelf PC which I'm looking to upgrade a few parts with a view to building my own system again when I have the cash. In particular I'm hoping to upgrade my graphics card and PSU and to build my new system around those.

I'm looking to get in my new PC the nVidia 8800 gt (possibly 2 SLI, depends if prices drop until then), could anyone advise me on a good PSU I could purchase that could run 2 8800s if I chose to go down that route? A cheap PSU would be desirable but I'd rather spend the cash on a quality PSU than on a cheaper PSU thats not going to work as reliably.

And, completely unrelated to the PSU, does anyone have a clue where I could get this case http://www.hardwaresphere.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/great-pyramid-pc-case-mod-desktop.jpg or this case -> http://www.computerboy.net/fishy%20clear%20case.jpg ?

Thanks.
-Aura

tecmo34

Administrator
You will want at least a 650w PSU for two 8800 GT's. I recommend either Antec, Corsair, PC Power&Cooling or OCZ for your PSU. Find one that fits into your budget from one of the PSU makers I listed.

As for the cases, they look custom built to me, so you won't be able to go out and buy one.

Auraomega

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
I've found this 400w unit by OCZ that claims to be SLI ok ... last PC I built I had a friend advise me on the PSU, I've never really understood what I'm looking for with one, would you mind explaining to me how you work out the required wattage?

Also, I'm wondering about the 8800s, is there a better (nVidia) card out there for preformance/price ratio? I'm looking to play my games on which are all relatively old (Stalker and Oblivion for example) at top specs and still have some future in them as newer more demanding games come out that I may be interested in.

-Aura

I would like to help you out here but you really need to provide more info.

An off-the-shelf system may be proprietary. This means that some parts may not be replaceable without replacing other parts as well... for instance replacing the PSU may require replacing the case, but replacing the case might mean also replacing the motherboard.

There are certainly better values than the 8800GT.

You can see the section of my guide regarding PSUs. There is a link there as well to a wattage calculator.

Auraomega

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
All good, but I'm in the UK so no good for me really :p

As for the case, I was told at purchase time that all things were easy to swap... but this was coming from a PC World employee.

-Aura

(P.S. I didn't want to buy a PC from PC World, I'd originally got a laptop which then proved to be pretty poor and all they would do is offer me a PC or better laptop, in the end I needed a new PC so I got this and got a new laptop elsewhere).