Sign in with
Your question

I7 920 boots, but with gibberish...

Last response: in Systems
August 30, 2009 12:17:34 AM

I have just put the finishing touches on my new core i7 system & tried to boot, but am having some difficulty getting it running.

When I power it on I get full screens of gibberish & then will go to the Intel boot screen where I am able to press F2 & get into system settings. Everything appears normal within system settings. I have tried removing the onboard battery from the MoBo & letting it sit for about 30 mins, then tried to boot with iFlash to reset the Bios. I get the same gibberish everytime & cannot get it to flash the bios.

Can anyone please assist? This is my first custom built PC, so I'm really kind of lost with trying to get this resolved. Any help would be much appreciated!

Here are the specs on my system...

- DX58SO Intel MoBo
- i7 920 processor
- BFG GeForce GTX260 OC Edition 55nm
- BFG 550 Modular Power Supply
- LG sata blu-ray drive
- WD 1TB sata drive
- Apevia X-Cruiser Chassis

Thanks everyone! :-)

More about : 920 boots gibberish

August 30, 2009 12:25:39 AM

Oh, & 3 x 1GB Crucial DDR3 PC3-8500 sticks

Thanks again everyone for any assistance you can provide!
August 30, 2009 2:00:08 AM

Here's another image. It appears that the system is loading things, but they are all garbled up. You can see there is apparently supposed to be a box in the center of the screen, but it is all messed up.

Why would the text be displaying garbled like this?

Please anyone? :-(

Related resources
August 30, 2009 3:03:32 AM

First, why are you using a Flash utility - aren't you just trying to reset CMOS to default values? Pull the power cord and battery, press your power on button several times, wait a few minutes, put the cord and battery back in, and power up. Go into BIOS and choose "Load Defaults". Save them, and reboot.

Can't see any of your images btw.
August 30, 2009 4:07:28 AM

Thank you for the response. I have tried that & just tried once again. No luck.

Everything with the system seems to run correctly, but the text displayed comes up garbled. I actually booted into the windows install once just fine & installed most if the OS, but then when it restarted, same garbled nothingness & didnt go back into the install to finish.

At one point I swear I was at a DOS command prompt, but was just all garbled text. I would type something & the cursor would change the text to some other random gibberish. If I hit enter the cursor would drop a couple lines & it looked like it gave some message, but once again was in random jibberish. Here are links to the images, hopefully they will work this time...

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/cwickstylz/?acti...

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/cwickstylz/?acti...
August 30, 2009 4:50:41 AM

OK, that screen gibberish is a symptom I've never seen before. Maybe someone else has, and will chime in.

So just trying to logic through this . . . you see this gibberish at power up when only the BIOS, cpu, mobo, vid card, and psu are involved.

Do you have another vid card to swap in? ANY vid card. Doesn't matter how old or slow, as long as you can get it into a slot lol. Would be nice to have that fix the problem, or if it doesn't at least one item is out of the way.

The fact that you were able to get through a phase of OS install until it re-started seems to point less to the psu and more to a different part.

Your symptom seems unique, and it's an Intel mobo and processor. Have you tried Intel support? They may have seen this symptom with a bad BIOS chip, or know its a vid card or psu problem.
August 30, 2009 7:32:56 AM

Yeah, I put a post on the Intel forums to see what I'm able to find out & will have to connect with them on Monday.

I did try throwing a lower end card I had in another desktop that I knew worked, but now get absolutely nothing coming up on the display. There are no audible alerts & I get the green power indicator on the mobo & blue flickers as it accesses the HD apparently, but none of the red warning indicators come up at all.

I have a feeling you're probably correct with stating there is a problem with the bios chip.

If anyone has seen anything similar to this, please let me know how, if possible to correct.
August 30, 2009 10:36:09 AM

Chances are you have a corrupted gfx chip .

Try another gfx card
August 30, 2009 2:24:37 PM

cwickstylz said:
I have just put the finishing touches on my new core i7 system & tried to boot, but am having some difficulty getting it running.

When I power it on I get full screens of gibberish & then will go to the Intel boot screen where I am able to press F2 & get into system settings. Everything appears normal within system settings. I have tried removing the onboard battery from the MoBo & letting it sit for about 30 mins, then tried to boot with iFlash to reset the Bios. I get the same gibberish everytime & cannot get it to flash the bios.

Can anyone please assist? This is my first custom built PC, so I'm really kind of lost with trying to get this resolved. Any help would be much appreciated!

Here are the specs on my system...

- DX58SO Intel MoBo
- i7 920 processor
- BFG GeForce GTX260 OC Edition 55nm
- BFG 550 Modular Power Supply
- LG sata blu-ray drive
- WD 1TB sata drive
- Apevia X-Cruiser Chassis

Thanks everyone! :-)

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/cwickstylz/?action=view¤t=CIMG0001.jpg

Can you try the video card and monitor on a friends computer to confirm or eliminate those devices as being the cause of the problem. If they work, that would point the cause to the MOBO.
August 30, 2009 4:07:25 PM

cwickstylz said:
If anyone has seen anything similar to this, please let me know how, if possible to correct.

I don't think we're gonna find a way to correct this other than identify which part is broken. You've pretty much done all a user can do. Getting "nothing" from a different graphics card points toward mobo, but not conclusively.

If your GT260 works in someone else system, it is by far most likely the problem is mobo rather than psu or cpu, and it would be time for an RMA.
August 30, 2009 8:34:19 PM

I have seen something similar

Graphics cards have a BIOS too , and it loads very early in the post so the screen can display the POST information .
Corrupt the gfx card bios and you get screens like that
!