Solved

Acer's x3810

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 19, 2009 8:21:05 AM

now i recently bought an acer aspire x3810 and it had

cpu : core 2 quad Q8300
ram: 4gb ddr3
hdd: 500gb

now i am no super gamer guy i just play cod4 once in a while or crisis here and there so i figured that my computer required a graphics card so now i am just looking around for a graphics card that might fit in it now the thing is that i need a low profile graphics card because my computer is a small factor form SFF so it has a small case and the whole nine yards that comes with it now i am not a graphics person at all.... i mean its a totally new dimension to me so any suggestions on what graphics card i need to get would be great... just for starters i was going through the list of graphics card's at ncix and came across

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=42986&vpn=EAH4650/DI/...(LP)&manufacture=ASUS

i dont know what the requirements and what not are so please explain how i would go around this ...

thanks a ton in advance

More about : acer x3810

September 19, 2009 6:38:04 PM

Although I don't know the layout of ncix.com very well, I can tell you that the ATi4650 isn't the strongest card you can get in low profile form. If you wanted the best low-profile card, i'd suggest an NVIDIA 9800gt. However, it'll probably be 40-60 dollars more than the 4650.
m
l
a c 194 U Graphics card
September 19, 2009 6:50:21 PM

I was looking and the 9800 is available low profile ready but is significantly more than the 4650 that comes low profile already so that is likely the strongest you can get at a reasonable price and not having to change back plates. You will need to play on reduced detail settings with that card. What resolution are you running at because you may need to lower that too for smooth frame rates.
m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2009 5:35:57 AM

dna708 said:
Although I don't know the layout of ncix.com very well, I can tell you that the ATi4650 isn't the strongest card you can get in low profile form. If you wanted the best low-profile card, i'd suggest an NVIDIA 9800gt. However, it'll probably be 40-60 dollars more than the 4650.

thanks for the quick reply ... now i did however buy a ati4650 from asus and i installed it and what not now the thing that i am worried about most is the amount of power that this card requires now it says on the box that it should be running off of a 400w minimum system power supply with 12 v current rating of 26A now i dont understand this gibberish so if you could dumb down this techincal jargon for me that would be great aslo could you if i should keep the card or return it coz i do have 30 day warranty on it.

another thing i just found while i was typing this ... the case does get wuite hot from the top would this melt the card or ruin it or something close to that ... the thing is this computer is my " baby " and i have to use it for atlest next 4 years through out my university now i dont want this computer to burn down on me . i think you kinda gave u good enough description about how much it means to me ne how ... please let me know if it heat is going to be a big problem ?? i honestly would be very thankful to you if you can help me out .
m
l
September 20, 2009 6:52:21 AM

i am running it on 1920 x 1080 23" screen
m
l

Best solution

a c 194 U Graphics card
September 20, 2009 3:19:06 PM

Use HW Monitor to check the temperatures, quite hot for a person is still ice cold for most computer components, a GPU can get up to about 90C under load safely, where as a person things anything over about 40C is HOT. Considering swapping out the fans in that case for some higher CFM ones, they will keep it much cooler.
September 21, 2009 7:08:59 PM

hunter315 said:
Use HW Monitor to check the temperatures, quite hot for a person is still ice cold for most computer components, a GPU can get up to about 90C under load safely, where as a person things anything over about 40C is HOT. Considering swapping out the fans in that case for some higher CFM ones, they will keep it much cooler.

now i was playing call of duty on this computer and i checked the temprature and it was a raging 92C and this was when i was playing it on the max settings( the graphics were beyawsome for the price that i paid) now again since i have no clue what a CFM is could you explain it to me please and tell me how to go about installing it ... once again thanks for your advice on temprature stuff last time i checked my computer i freeked out on 51C but stilll 92 i think is just pushing it...
m
l
October 2, 2009 8:25:02 PM

Did you have to replace anything to make this graphics card fi ordid it just slot streight in, I'm an Acer x3810 owner and lookin for this sort of graphics card. Not sure which one to go with...any advice???
m
l
February 9, 2010 7:17:02 PM

I just bought Asus Radeon 4350 low profile adapter and it won't fit - not enough room between the cards heatsink and case, and the bracket is wrong way round, e.g. the vga socket is to the left of the DVI & HDMI sockets (which are in line) and needs to be on the right. Looking at the card, I would need to cut half the bracket off (the bit that holds the vga) and lose vgs, then cut back some of the cooling fins so the card isn't as fat. Not sure if this would create heat problems as the case is very tightly packed. I'm not a gamer but looking to improve streaming picture (not as good on this pc as on my old pc with dedicated graphics card), and I also clone to 26 inch LCD tv.

Thoughts welcome - is it worth the hassle.
m
l
!