9600gt fps problem

Sneik

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hi, I hope that you can help me with a technical problem and give me some tips:
When I started to play WOTLK (world of warcraft) with my new graphic processor (Nvidia 9600gt) I noticed a problem with the frames (fps). The game is not fluid at all and goes jerky; playing quality is horrible especially when I go to Dalaran and often when I’m questing.

These are the computer’s technical details:
CPU AMD 4200+
2 Gigabytes ram DDR2
Graphic Processor Nvidia 9600gt
Windows Xp Home Sp3

I tried to clean up and then reinstall all drivers with Driver Sweeper.
I tried to install last version drivers for the nvidia.
I cleaned the PC inside.
I tried to completely format the PC.
I installed last DirectX 9.0 (last version for Windows Xp).
The temperature of every component is ok.
I tried to put every game video setting to the minimum, but nothing changed.

I’ll post some data obtained with benchmark 3dmark06 just in case somebody would find it useful to better evaluate the situation.
sm2.0 score 3218
hdm/sm3.0 score 3560
CPU score 1642

One of my friends had the same problem with a Nvidia 9800 on a more powerful pc.
I hope you’ll help me to solve the problem so I don’t have to change the graphing processor :(.

Thanks in advance.

Sneik

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009

how can i do it ?

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Before you start playing, turn on the task manager and select the performance tab, than start playing your game and when it gets slow pause the game and alt+tab back to the desktop and look at the performance tab, you'll see a couple of graphs.
The graphs tell you how much the CPU and memory (it's called "pf usage" here) were taxed over time, if for example the CPU was 100% taxed you can overclock the CPU.
Additionally, you can look under "commit charge", if the peak value is more than 2100000 it means you've run out of memory and you can install more memory to make the game faster.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Does the peak value stay under 2100000 as well? If so then it has to be a software problem.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

No, probably not: you may have to reinstall the video card driver, check for viruses/malware and of course a defrag won't hurt either.
If that doesn't do it you may start thinking about reinstalling your OS and not updating past service pack 2, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come here and tell you a few more things you could try before reinstalling your OS.

BTW, make sure the video card is not underclocked: the core should be running at 650mhz and the memory at 950mhz.