Sign in with
Your question

Question on motherboard temperature

Last response: in Components
November 21, 2009 7:55:20 AM

Hi, I am fairly novice on building computer and stuff so i purchased an Gateway FX 6300-01e (refurbished), here are the specs:
i7-920 cpu (non OC at 2.6)
3GB ddr31066 RAM
ATI 4850 512 GC
500W generic PSU
when i first saw the north bridge temp in fanspeed and cpu-id i was like wtf.... it was 94C! so I have added a 40mm fan on top of the NB heatsink, change the stock rear fan and added a 80mm fan in the front, with all that done, it is now around 78C idle and 84C loaded.... is that safe? or should i change the NB heatsink(which i do not know how to do BTW)?
also what is a normal GC temp? my ati4850 is 58C idle and 54C when playing games.

November 21, 2009 12:06:34 PM

what? your 4850 temp is more cooler when playing games??
wow...

My HIS 4850 is 59'C idle and about(never above) 68'C when gaming...
m
l
November 21, 2009 11:23:53 PM

Maybe the fan in the 4850 is turning off at idle?

I'd call gateway or the motherboard manufacturer and see what they have to say. If this is a prebuilt system, it's either designed to run that hot or there's a hardware problem. Adding more cooling was a good decision though.
I guess there's also the possibility of incorrect temp reporting.
If you keep having problems with heat, you could purchase a new case.. there are lots of ~$100 mid tower cases with very good cooling on the market.
m
l
Related resources
November 22, 2009 11:59:46 PM

wa1 said:
what? your 4850 temp is more cooler when playing games??
wow...

My HIS 4850 is 59'C idle and about(never above) 68'C when gaming...

lol its 48 idle, typo
m
l
November 23, 2009 12:01:05 AM

tortnotes said:
Maybe the fan in the 4850 is turning off at idle?

I'd call gateway or the motherboard manufacturer and see what they have to say. If this is a prebuilt system, it's either designed to run that hot or there's a hardware problem. Adding more cooling was a good decision though.
I guess there's also the possibility of incorrect temp reporting.
If you keep having problems with heat, you could purchase a new case.. there are lots of ~$100 mid tower cases with very good cooling on the market.

thanks for the reply, i will definitely call tomorrow.
m
l
November 23, 2009 12:06:22 AM

ok, I dont know what i was thinking, but i have added a corsair h50 (liquid cool) cpu cooler and a thermaltake northbridge cooler. the temp got slightly higher...? also a 850W blackwidow PSU to run the corsair h50. maybe i apply the thermal compound (arctic theramique thermal grease) wrong? but the temp on the NB is slightly higher then before, i know i have to wait couple days for the thermal compound to set in, but the cpu is now around 45C idle and 55C loaded... and the power supply is really HOT(not like sexy hot, but burn your finger hot)!and the little case is really cramped now, any expert advice??
m
l
November 23, 2009 12:08:21 AM

before you purchases a new case try updating your bios, it might be reading wrong temps.

Your Graphics card is reporting correct temperatures so it might be a motherboard problem.
m
l
November 23, 2009 3:12:40 AM

chrischoi94 said:
before you purchases a new case try updating your bios, it might be reading wrong temps.

Your Graphics card is reporting correct temperatures so it might be a motherboard problem.

that sounds like something i should do, do you mind give me some insight on how? like i said, i m a noob...
m
l
!