Where and how to place case cooling fans?

Thunder1971

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Hi all,

I keep having 2 hot temp readings of sometimes over 110°C according to CPUID.

I was thinking that I might have wrongly installed the colling fans.

I have 4 "side of the case fans" and 1 bigger fan on the back.

ATM the big fan in the back is removing air from the case.
I have 1 on top of the GPU that is blowing air in and one below that on top of the GPU blowing air in.

Then I have 2 fans on the other side of removing air near the HD bay's.
If it isn't clear this way I don't mind making some pics with arrows on the coolers.

Any help to imrove this is welcome...thank you.

Basic rule of fan placement:
Front and side - intake, and
Back and top - exhaust.

Side fans may help or hinder airflow through the case. Try with and without a side fan and use whichever gives you the better temps.

At the same time, make sure that the CPU cooler is properly installed, particularly if you are using a cooler with push pins.

Thunder1971

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I'll get on the pics ;)

In this case it would mean that I'd have 4 fans blowing air in and only 1 taking the air out? Will it be able to pull all the air out from 4 fans?

At 110 you processor is not going to last very long, you urgently need to sort this out. You didn't say if the temperatures were full load or idle temperatures.

The fans on the case need to be set in the following directions, the front fan should blow into the case, the side fans should blow into the case, the bottom fans should blow into the case, the back fans should blow out of the case and the top fans should blow out of the case.

As you have such high temperatures I suspect that the heatsink is not mounted correctly or incorrectly applied heatsink compound. You should remove the heatsink and check.

It may be that CPUID is reporting the wrong temperatures or reporting in Fahrenheit instead of Centigrade, you should check the temperatures in the BIOS to be sure.

Thunder1971

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
well that is the strange thing.
My actualy core and CPU readings are fine...they don't go over 70°C.
But CPUID has 3 "extra" temps it meassures defined as TEMPIN0 to..TEMPIN2 and it is 0 and 2 that go over 100°C on full load.

Thunder1971

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
here is the UI from the program to give you and idea.
I took this after I has reset the min and max temps so the readings now are at idle.
show-image.php

hope this pic works :)

Thunder1971

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah the stock cooler
I have a new cooler on the way...should arrive tomorow I hope.
Thermalright silver arrow.
Room temps here are about 19-21°C

well that is the strange thing.
My actualy core and CPU readings are fine...they don't go over 70°C.
But CPUID has 3 "extra" temps it meassures defined as TEMPIN0 to..TEMPIN2 and it is 0 and 2 that go over 100°C on full load.

The temperatures may be the northbridge chip that is getting hot, it is common to have to fit a fan to this chip if the air from the CPU heatsink is not blowing over it. They sell fans specifically for this purpose in computer hardware stores. Try touching this chip, if you can't leave your fingers on it then you need a fan for it.

My actualy core and CPU readings are fine...they don't go over 70°C

70 is still to high at full load, I don't like my CPU temperatures to be over 60 at full load on a hot day.

Thunder1971

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
It isn't the cores that is the problem...there are 2 other temperatures that go over 100.
As mentioned above by pjmelect it my be the north and south bridge.
I'll turn 2 fans so they also blow into the case, and see if I can solve the issue that pjmelect just pointed me to.
Also gonna install fanspeed and see if I can get more control over my fans.

Thunder1971

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Now this is gonna make me like look an even bigger newbie but...on my MOBO....what is the northbridge pls? Can't find it on the layout in the manual *blush and hides
Z68X-UD3H-B3

Thunder1971

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
thx moto..so the one that has Z68 written on top.
Now I'll need to find a decent cooling unit.
Wondering how it will connect too since there are no holes or anything near to attach it? Next challenge :)
All fans have been installed now as discussed above...no change in any of the temps atm.

I did install fanspeed and it seems it is a better control..and it also seems that the temps are short peak temperatures as I can never catch it being that high.
I can only see at CPU-Z's max temp reading that it did get that high at one point.

G

Gah jesus... Really? Sorry for hi-jacking but if thats the northbridge what is the funky piece of metal by the pcie slots!?!? o_O

All this time... T.T

Thunder1971

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
OK I tried something as a temporary solution.
Apparently the GFX card is blocking airflow to the cooling ribs of the chipset.
I took one of the casefans and placed it inside the case under an angle so it blows air directly on the heatsink. And in a way it also helps with airflow towards the GFX card intakes. If this works and keeps things cooler I'll try and find a better solution for it.
Also gonna add a third intake cooler on the right side pannel so all those slots are filled and I have maimum fresh air into the case.

edit... temperatures have indeed decreased dramatically it seems. Now not going over 55-58°C for the chipset (north-southbridge), for some reason my GPU, CPU and it's seperate core temperatures have decreased as well.
The problem is that the GFX card is blocking the airflow to the chipset's passive cooler creating a warm spot under the GFX card, due to the fact that no fresh air can reach there. Now I'm gonna see if I can, in some way put direct outside air on the passive cooler... next challenge :)