bigdayve

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Hello I'm running an ssd for the first time and having problems. I got a Crucial M4 64GB drive.

The computer won't hibernate and sometimes it won't even completely shut down. Worse yet, the computer crashes blue screen pretty often. I don't know how to get the error codes off the blue screen, b/c I'm kind of a newb. Also, many Windows updates are installed, but I cannot get Win 7 service pack one to install which I hope would fix the crashing! I have used Windows Update trouble shooters to no avail.

I have installed Windows 7 64 bit home on it. I made sure that no other storage was hooked up during installation. Since I have installed many windows updates, a few drivers including graphics, avast free antivirus, and I copied Starcraft 2 over from another drive (a drive that I reconnected after installing Windows 7).

I have many guesses as to what the problem could be, but I won't share them for now with one exception. When I was installing the M4 I unplugged the sata cord from my DVD drive that was in the one and only sataII port. When I unplugged it the little terminal that the sata cord plugs into came off with the cable. I was able to fit the terminal back on the pins and plug the M4 into the mobo, but I am concerned I may have done some damage. That said, windows did install and it doesn't explain why service pack 1 won't install.

Also, I've read conflicting reports on using hibernate and standby while using an ssd. Is there a current or definitive answer on best practice?

Here is some additional information about my rig: Most of it was purchased in August 2006. I know it's a dinosaur and I am hoping an SSD will breathe some new life into it b/c it still does everything I want it to.

AsRock 939 dual-sata2
Amd x2 3800+
2 GB GSkill DDR400
EVGA Nvidia 9800gt
iGreen 500W power supply

Thanks,
Bigdayve

tecmo34

Administrator
Make recommendation is... 1) Make sure your BIOS is updated to the latest possible version and 2) update your firmware on your SSD to the latest.

You have a few issues working against your setup.. IMO
1) Running a SATA III device on a very old SATA II controller
2) Controller doesn't support AHCI, which is benefitical to the performance and TRIM support of the SSD.

I recommend against enabling hibernation or standby mode for a SSD drive for really 2 reasons... 1) keeping the drive active allows TRIM & the controllers Garbage Collection to work while in idle mode and 2) there are many reports of SSD's locking up (freezing up and normally require a RMA) coming out of hibernation. It just isn't a risk I'm willing to take, plus free's up 2GB of space (roughly)... http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-tweak,2911.html

bigdayve

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

Thanks for the article links, I'll look into them if I need to.

bigdayve

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Are you referring to a specific one? If not, I agree, I should probably read some more on ssds.

bigdayve

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

I'll try doing those updates. I hear firmware on an ssd can be a little tricky, but I don't have much to lose if the windows install goes bad. Also, I don't think my motherboard has had any updates for quite some time. I think I'll look into an asrock forum to see if there are aftermarket updates.