Sign in with
Your question

Crucial M4 Problems

Last response: in Storage
June 22, 2011 2:14:17 AM

Hello I'm running an ssd for the first time and having problems. I got a Crucial M4 64GB drive.

The computer won't hibernate and sometimes it won't even completely shut down. Worse yet, the computer crashes blue screen pretty often. I don't know how to get the error codes off the blue screen, b/c I'm kind of a newb. Also, many Windows updates are installed, but I cannot get Win 7 service pack one to install which I hope would fix the crashing! I have used Windows Update trouble shooters to no avail.

I have installed Windows 7 64 bit home on it. I made sure that no other storage was hooked up during installation. Since I have installed many windows updates, a few drivers including graphics, avast free antivirus, and I copied Starcraft 2 over from another drive (a drive that I reconnected after installing Windows 7).

I have many guesses as to what the problem could be, but I won't share them for now with one exception. When I was installing the M4 I unplugged the sata cord from my DVD drive that was in the one and only sataII port. When I unplugged it the little terminal that the sata cord plugs into came off with the cable. I was able to fit the terminal back on the pins and plug the M4 into the mobo, but I am concerned I may have done some damage. That said, windows did install and it doesn't explain why service pack 1 won't install.

Also, I've read conflicting reports on using hibernate and standby while using an ssd. Is there a current or definitive answer on best practice?

Here is some additional information about my rig: Most of it was purchased in August 2006. I know it's a dinosaur and I am hoping an SSD will breathe some new life into it b/c it still does everything I want it to.

AsRock 939 dual-sata2
Amd x2 3800+
2 GB GSkill DDR400
EVGA Nvidia 9800gt
iGreen 500W power supply

Thanks,
Bigdayve

More about : crucial problems

a c 143 G Storage
June 22, 2011 4:25:18 PM

Make recommendation is... 1) Make sure your BIOS is updated to the latest possible version and 2) update your firmware on your SSD to the latest.

You have a few issues working against your setup.. IMO
1) Running a SATA III device on a very old SATA II controller
2) Controller doesn't support AHCI, which is benefitical to the performance and TRIM support of the SSD.

I recommend against enabling hibernation or standby mode for a SSD drive for really 2 reasons... 1) keeping the drive active allows TRIM & the controllers Garbage Collection to work while in idle mode and 2) there are many reports of SSD's locking up (freezing up and normally require a RMA) coming out of hibernation. It just isn't a risk I'm willing to take, plus free's up 2GB of space (roughly)... http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-twe...
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2011 5:47:56 PM

tecmo34 said:
Make recommendation is... 1) Make sure your BIOS is updated to the latest possible version and 2) update your firmware on your SSD to the latest.

You have a few issues working against your setup.. IMO
1) Running a SATA III device on a very old SATA II controller
2) Controller doesn't support AHCI, which is benefitical to the performance and TRIM support of the SSD.

I recommend against enabling hibernation or standby mode for a SSD drive for really 2 reasons... 1) keeping the drive active allows TRIM & the controllers Garbage Collection to work while in idle mode and 2) there are many reports of SSD's locking up (freezing up and normally require a RMA) coming out of hibernation. It just isn't a risk I'm willing to take, plus free's up 2GB of space (roughly)... http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-twe...

I'll try doing those updates. I hear firmware on an ssd can be a little tricky, but I don't have much to lose if the windows install goes bad. Also, I don't think my motherboard has had any updates for quite some time. I think I'll look into an asrock forum to see if there are aftermarket updates.
m
l
!