Is it Possible to Lock Windows Folder Settings?

Is it is possible to lock folder settings?

I like seeing most of my folders set to show details. However, I like the
control panel to show Icons. Many times I open control panel and it is set
to show details. I also like to view the status bar but many times it will
disappear. Any way to Lock folder settings?
5 answers Last reply
More about lock windows folder settings

    "Dennis" <mrfrugalfart@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Is it is possible to lock folder settings?
    >
    >I like seeing most of my folders set to show details. However, I like the
    >control panel to show Icons. Many times I open control panel and it is set
    >to show details. I also like to view the status bar but many times it will
    >disappear. Any way to Lock folder settings?

    Press CTRL while you close the Explorer window.

    --
    (tm)

    Pressing the CTRL while closing Explorer window seems to be just a temporary
    fix. I'm looking for something more permanent.

    "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > "Dennis" <mrfrugalfart@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Is it is possible to lock folder settings?
    > >
    > >I like seeing most of my folders set to show details. However, I like the
    > >control panel to show Icons. Many times I open control panel and it is
    set
    > >to show details. I also like to view the status bar but many times it
    will
    > >disappear. Any way to Lock folder settings?
    >
    > Press CTRL while you close the Explorer window.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    "Dennis" <mrfrugalfart@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Pressing the CTRL while closing Explorer window seems to be just a temporary
    >fix. I'm looking for something more permanent.

    Try this: Delete the Registry keys
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags and
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU, both with
    all the subentries, then create new keys "BagMRU" and "Bags" here. At
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam create a new
    DWORD entry
    BagMRU Size
    and set this to
    5000 (decimal)
    Restart the computer. Re-setup your folders.

    --
    (tm)

    Set up how you want it then reboot then turn off Remember each folders view settings. The existing settings are used and contimnue to be used but for the first folder opened. Or read the last section of this post and think of the order you do the Apply To All in.

    EG If My Comp is Icons and Control Panel is thumbnails and you open a window on My Comp all folders viewed with that window will be icons. If you open a window on Control Panel then all are thumbnails.

    The store may be corrupt. Type regedit in Start Run and delete all these keys.

    Delete these keys or values from the registry. This will reset many things like saved folder settings.
    Type Regedit in Start - Run
    Right click taskbar and choose Task Manager. Processes tab and end processs for explorer. (your Desktop and Start Menu now disappears).

    In Regedit navigate to each of these keys and delete them
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and delete the value
    Shellstate

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState and delete the value
    Settings

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamsMRU (may not exist)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags

    Then in Task Manager, File - Run type explorer. (Start menu and Desktop come back).

    Understanding Saved Views and Browsing Folders
    In Windows 2000 Professional, the view you use is not always permanently saved in Windows Explorer. You can control whether the views you use are saved permanently or temporarily by using the Remember each folder's view settings check box on the View tab of the Folder Options dialog box (see figure 9.3).

    By default the Remember each folder's view settings option is enabled. When you choose to leave this setting enabled, the following happens:

    a.. The changes you make to a folder's view is automatically saved when you close the folder.
    b.. The view you use to view one folder is not applied to other folders.
    c.. When you open a folder, it opens in the view you used when you last viewed it.
    When you clear the check box for Remember each folder's view settings, the following happens:

    a.. When you start Windows Explorer, the first folder you view displays in the folder's saved view. Windows Explorer holds that view in temporary memory and applies it to all the folders that you visit while Windows Explorer remains open unless you manually alter the view.
    b.. As you browse to other folders (after the initial folder is opened), the saved view for each folder is ignored, and when you quit Windows Explorer, the folder view that you have been using to view multiple folders is deleted from temporary memory.
    c.. The next time you open Windows Explorer, once again, it is the saved view of the first folder you open that determines how you view multiple folders.
    Setting All Folders to the Same View
    Some users want to have all their Windows Explorer folders set to the same view. In Windows 2000 Professional, the default setting is that any change made to a folder's view is automatically saved when you close the folder and is not applied to other folders. However, you can set all folders to the same view by using the Folder Options command as described in the following procedure.

    To set all folders to the same view
    1.. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, set the view to your preference.
    2.. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    3.. In the Folder Options dialog box, click the View tab.
    4.. Under Folder Views, click Like Current Folder.
    Important The Remember each folder's view settings check box on the View tab of the Folder Options dialog box (see Figure 9.3) affects how the view settings of individual folders are applied and saved. For more information about the impact of clearing this check box, see "Understanding Saved Views and Browsing Folders" earlier in this chapter.

    And check

    NoSaveSettings
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Data type Range Default value
    REG_DWORD 0 | 1 0

    Description
    Prevents users from saving certain changes to the
    desktop. Users can change the desktop, but some changes,
    such as the positions of open windows and the size and
    position of the taskbar, are not saved when users log
    off. Shortcuts placed on the desktop are always saved.

    This entry stores the setting of the Don't save settings
    at exit Group Policy. Group Policy adds this entry to the
    registry with a value of 1 when you enable the policy. If
    you disable the policy or set it to Not configured, Group
    Policy deletes the entry from the registry and the system
    behaves as though the value is 0.

    Value Meaning
    0 (or not in registry) The policy is disabled or
    not configured. Changes to the desktop are saved.
    1 The policy is enabled. Some changes to the desktop are not saved.

    You have to do Apply To All while in a file folder.
    For each type of object (File Folder, Control Panel, My Computer, etc) that you do an Apply to All in it's clsid and the settings are created/updated at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Defaults

    as well as a higher set of defaults at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
    Settings=

    Plus if you hold down control and click close it also updates
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    Shellstate=

    This is mainly setting irrelevent things except it holds the global sort, which all the others override. But File Open dialog boxes only use this setting, so it basically only affects sorting in File Open dialogs. But it seems that sometimes an earlier windows versions setting get written here and other settings then aren't saved.

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "Dennis" <mrfrugalfart@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ehNJ6LOeEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Pressing the CTRL while closing Explorer window seems to be just a temporary
    > fix. I'm looking for something more permanent.
    >

    > "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > > "Dennis" <mrfrugalfart@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Is it is possible to lock folder settings?
    > > >
    > > >I like seeing most of my folders set to show details. However, I like the
    > > >control panel to show Icons. Many times I open control panel and it is
    > set
    > > >to show details. I also like to view the status bar but many times it
    > will
    > > >disappear. Any way to Lock folder settings?
    > >
    > > Press CTRL while you close the Explorer window.
    > >
    > > --
    > > (tm)

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote:

    > Set up how you want it then reboot then turn off Remember each
    > folders view settings. The existing settings are used and
    > contimnue to be used but for the first folder opened. Or read
    > the last section of this post and think of the order you do
    > the Apply To All in.
    >
    > EG If My Comp is Icons and Control Panel is thumbnails and
    > you open a window on My Comp all folders viewed with that
    > window will be icons. If you open a window on Control Panel
    > then all are thumbnails.

    Hi David, I have just caught up with this very interesting post
    which you made a couple of weeks ago.

    I have been customizing my XP Pro and using lots of registry
    tweaks and as a result my folders forget *some* of their
    settings. The folder manage to remember the POSITION and SIZE
    and SHAPE of their window.

    But the folders forget settings to do with displaying the ADDRESS
    BAR, BUTTONS and STATUS BAR.

    I can confirm I have marked the check box "Remember Each Folder's
    View Settings" under Advanced Settings on the View tab of Folder
    Options in Control Panel. But XP behaves exactly in the way you
    describe it when that box is *not* checked.

    How can I fix this problem?

    As a repair, I followed all of the steps you posted. For
    convenience I quote your steps below this message.

    In addition to your steps, I have done what is in MSKB article
    813711, "Your View Settings or Customizations For a Folder are
    Lost or Incorrect" . and so I increased the two entries for
    'BagMRU Size' to a very large value of 18000.

    (I figure have 4,000 folders on the C partition and about the
    same on the D partiton and even more on some other partitions all
    attached at the same time.)

    None of this works. My folders still behave as if I have not
    checked the 'Remember Each Folder's View Settings'. Could the
    entry in the registry for this very checkbox itself be corrupted?
    In other words, this setting is not properly being read as
    "checked"?

    What should I do to solve this?

    Can anyone else here advise me on this problem?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Maerko

    -------- STEPS FOLLOWED (QUOTING DAVID'S TEXT) -------------

[...]

    David, in addition I have put 18,000 for 'BAGMRU SIZE' following
    the MSKB article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813711.

    After making al the registry changes I immediately rebooted the
    system.

    -------------- END OF STEPS FOLLOWED -------------------

    =========== REST OF ORIGINAL POSTING FOLLOWS =============

[...]

    ============ END OF TEXT FROM ORIGINAL POSTING ==============

    [newsgroups widened]

Configuration Control Panel Microsoft Windows XP