Sign in with
Your question

Problems Installing OS on new i7 Machine

Last response: in Systems
August 30, 2009 2:43:08 AM

I have been having major issues with my new build.

I have tried installing the following OS's:
a.) Windows 7 64 bit
b.) Windows 7 x86
c.) Ubuntu 9.04 AMD64

Using:
1. my BD/DVD/CD ROM,
2. DVD-RW/CD-RW drive,
3. Bootable USB

EVERY TIME, I recieve a corrupt/missing file error. In windows, this is error code 0x80070570. In Ubuntu, this is error code 5.

Each suggest that there might be a problem with my DVD/CD drive. I highly doubt that 2 different brand new drives are BOTH faulty, or that two different USB sticks that I have used succesfully before are faulty.

Also, I know my ISOs burned correctly because:
1. The errors occur at a different place each time
2. I have installed with same cds on other devices

What could the problem be here? I was thinking maybe something is wrong with my Motherboard?

The build:
i7 920 Rev D0
Asus P6t SE w/ updated 0504 BIOS
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
OCZ DDR3 6GB
ATI Sapphire 3870 HD
Coolermaster Silent Pro 700w

Help please! After about 30 tries, I think I'm ready to start throwing things at my brand new screen.

Thanks,
Rob

More about : problems installing machine

August 30, 2009 3:07:58 AM

MAke sure the ram is set at recommended settings. Last issue I had like this was in a old dirty rig and heat was the issue. Yours isnt dirty, but heat could still be a factor. The old one I had issues on was overheating CPU cause it was filled with dirt. Yours might not have gotten put together right. Make sure the heatsink isnt loose at all, and you didnt use to little, to much thermal paste.
August 30, 2009 4:06:24 AM

But yep error 5 in Ubuntu is usually some sort of media error. I know nothing about the Windows error but googling suggests it might also be media-related. Since it's highly unlikely that all your installation media are faulty, I'd look at drives. Don't know anything about optical drives either :)  but I've had error 5 install problems when there was something funny with the hard drive. Try to do an install that wipes the entire HDD to rule out that you screwed something up with partitioning and/or the MBR.
Related resources
August 30, 2009 4:28:48 AM

i was getting similar errors while installing the 8.10 ubuntu + windows xp. i would keep on reinstalling the os and could never do it. burned like 20 disks cause i thought something was wrong. changed drives. finally it came down to fualty/dying ocz memory. got replacement under warrenty and things worked out ok. i would suggest lowering the memory speed/ timing for time being. also you can do the memtest with ubuntu installation disks. i'm not sure if you'll have the latest version. btw only one stick was dying on me and memtest never showed errors with both sticks. just one bad stick. so test memory with both/seperate combinations.
August 30, 2009 5:07:57 AM

godless said:
i was getting similar errors while installing the 8.10 ubuntu + windows xp. i would keep on reinstalling the os and could never do it. burned like 20 disks cause i thought something was wrong. changed drives. finally it came down to fualty/dying ocz memory. got replacement under warrenty and things worked out ok. i would suggest lowering the memory speed/ timing for time being. also you can do the memtest with ubuntu installation disks. i'm not sure if you'll have the latest version. btw only one stick was dying on me and memtest never showed errors with both sticks. just one bad stick. so test memory with both/seperate combinations.

Thanks All for your responses.

Godless - I am running the memory tests now and at 63% still no errors - but we'll see what happens.

Now that you mentioned memory, I'm starting to question my current setup. I am using the OCZ3 Gold 1600(O.C.) 6GB (3x2GB) memory (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...).

My specific memory is not listed in the ASUS motherboard manual, but other OCZ 1600MHz memory is shown to have voltage requirements above the recommended 1.65V, and the recommended BIOS setting is something like "1333-7-7-7-20". Does this mean I need to turn down the speed of my memory to 1333 instead of 1600? Should I consider returning this memory for one that will not "damage the CPU permanantly!!!??"

I'm pretty pissed that Newegg would recommend memory that might damage my i7!

Thanks
Rob
August 30, 2009 5:23:16 AM

That RAM won't damage your CPU. It's rated at DDR3 1600 @ 8-8-8-24 timings at 1.65v. That's what it should be set at in the BIOS.
August 30, 2009 5:29:46 AM

Try giving your hard disk a low-level format. It's worth a shot.
August 30, 2009 5:32:05 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
That RAM won't damage your CPU. It's rated at DDR3 1600 @ 8-8-8-24 timings at 1.65v. That's what it should be set at in the BIOS.

thanks. It was set to 9-9-9-24. I hate to be hopefull, but maybe this will work...

...Nope. Ubuntu Error 5 Input/Output Error at about 75%, while being installed from USB.

Another try, and it crashes in the same location. This would suggest an iso problem? I guess I'll try reloading the USB tomorrow. Thanks again to everyone for your help so far.
August 30, 2009 5:32:52 AM

derekarmstrong92 said:
Try giving your hard disk a low-level format. It's worth a shot.

i formatted the disk using Gnome Partition Live. Is that a "low-level format," or is there something more advanced I should do?

August 30, 2009 3:30:00 PM

well, tr running the install with the minimal amount of hardware installed, this sounds just like the problem my friend had until he removed his pci gigabit network card(windows 7only though)
August 30, 2009 4:05:21 PM

reblock said:
i formatted the disk using Gnome Partition Live. Is that a "low-level format," or is there something more advanced I should do?

No, it's not. Doing a low-level format is nonsense.

But as I told you in the third post ITT, try to let Win 7 use the ENTIRE hard drive (if the install goes through, then you can pretty much rule out hardware issues). Win 7 likes to create multiple partitions during install and it's absolutely conceivable you did something funky with Gnome Partition Live.
August 30, 2009 4:11:54 PM

I had Win7 use the entire disk for the first 5 or so attempts installing (maybe even more). I started making partitions when I switched to Ubuntu - but I haven't tried letting Ubuntu just take the whole drive.

I'll give that a try, and hopefully I will have another HD from a friend by tomorrow so I can test to see if it's a HD issue.
August 30, 2009 6:00:51 PM

It c ertainly sounds like a bad drive to me. Its always nice to keep spares around.
August 31, 2009 3:52:31 PM

Ok - problem solved.

I think I was having several issues at once.

1. The CPU may have been overheating: I pulled off the fan and found a bit too much thermal paste.
2. I had one bad memory stick.

I know each of these answers was proposed, and thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I was going crazy and trying to change too much at once. Testing different HD's, iso's etc was pulling me away from the real issues. I took a fresh look at it today and did things systematically.

First I cleaned off the CPU. Then I installed Win7 with just one memory stick in, then I ran memory tests using the built in tester. One of the sticks failed, so I will be calling OCZ today to see how to go about getting a replacement.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Rob
August 31, 2009 3:54:59 PM

and of course, the first time I tried installing with one memory stick (about two days ago) - I chose the ONE that was bad.

Classic.
!